Any benefit to running additional voltage on Titan XP if I don't get extra overclocking?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72990
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 72990

So using Afterburner I cranked it up to +100% on voltage. It didn't gain me any additional MHz in overclocking. But I was wondering, is there any benefit to leaving the voltage at a higher value? Such as extra headroom before throttling or anything like that?

So using Afterburner I cranked it up to +100% on voltage. It didn't gain me any additional MHz in overclocking. But I was wondering, is there any benefit to leaving the voltage at a higher value? Such as extra headroom before throttling or anything like that?

You should always aim for the lowest voltage possible at a given clock speed.

Also, don't use the sliders but instead learn to use the frequency curve. Much more control that way. You can lock a clock/voltage combo.

Don't forget that SLI decreases your potential overclock by around 10-15%. SLI also pretty much eliminates any small benefit you might have gotten from adding voltage on a single card unless you can modify the BIOS to have both cards running at the same voltage.

So I have both of my Titan XP's at +200 core and +575 memory and it is 100% stable. Increasing voltage not only did not help with overclock, it also would crash under those same settings. So you're right, no benefit to me. I'll leave at stock voltage.

So I have both of my Titan XP's at +200 core and +575 memory and it is 100% stable. Increasing voltage not only did not help with overclock, it also would crash under those same settings. So you're right, no benefit to me. I'll leave at stock voltage.

Voltage on TXP using AB is very hit or miss, in other words it doesn't work very well until you mod the power limit otherwise all you do is smack up against the PL and get throttled some.

WTF? Did the OP ask about heating and cooling or some shit?

No, but I've never seen anyone willing to apply more voltage just for the sake of it either. It was a bad joke. Never mind me.

Applying more voltage can actually decrease stability because of the increased heat. Also for Pascal overclocking there's no point to using core clock and voltage sliders, since everything can be fine tuned and controlled precisely using the frequency curve.

Voltage on TXP using AB is very hit or miss, in other words it doesn't work very well until you mod the power limit otherwise all you do is smack up against the PL and get throttled some.
Yes, I've had more luck with EVGA Precision X OC when it comes to voltage. But for any effect it needs to be maxed out and even then I only get around an extra 10 MHz. Totally not worth it.

What?

How so?

I OCd each card to the same speed and they work in SLI at the same speed.

I'm very happy with my overclocks in SLI. And voltage didn't help so I'm gladly running at stock voltage! Intuition tells me that SLI overclocks are limited to the slowest of the 2 cards but that isn't really a problem.

I'm very happy with my overclocks in SLI. And voltage didn't help so I'm gladly running at stock voltage! Intuition tells me that SLI overclocks are limited to the slowest of the 2 cards but that isn't really a problem.
Yea, same.

I'm running 2 x TitansXP. They are a beast on their own, but OC is just an icing on the cake.

I actually never hit 100% usage on any card when gaming. They tear through anything. I OCd just because it was fun to screw around with hardware. Got to 4.7Ghz on the 6700k too and some crazy memory numbers. It won some first 10 place in ASUS ROG official benchmarks.

Yea, same.

I'm running 2 x TitansXP. They are a beast on their own, but OC is just an icing on the cake.

I actually never hit 100% usage on any card. They tear through anything.

Yup same here. I'm even running 8x AA on some games at 3440x1440 and they barely warm up. Only exception is Watch Dogs 2 which has some issues but I can mainly attribute that to poor optimization. Although the latest nVidia patch from about 2 days ago seems to have helped big time so that might even be a non issue now. My real first world problem is that I'm having a hard time finding games that really take advantage of the cards. Maybe I'll play Witcher 3 for the 3rd time and use the new shader mods that are out. Still the prettiest game I've ever played by far.

Try the voltage / frequency curve in MSI's AB. It's worlds easier to use than EVGA's PCX. By using the curve you'll see more sustainable, higher core clocks at low enough voltages that the power limit will only present minor issues. With the right curve, you can hit some pretty awesome clocks, even on air.

Try the voltage / frequency curve in MSI's AB. It's worlds easier to use than EVGA's PCX. By using the curve you'll see more sustainable, higher core clocks at low enough voltages that the power limit will only present minor issues. With the right curve, you can hit some pretty awesome clocks, even on air.

Yea right, they all clock the same within 100mhz. Adding voltage will do jack for 99% of the cards/situations. Voltage is also kinda worthless for Pascal like it was for Maxwell until you remove the other hurdles like heat and power limit. In other words it doesn't do shit till you start hard modding and the key is to remove the voltage control from the VRM to allow the use of trimmers.

is there a tutorial on how this works? I would love a link :)

Just leaving at default voltage and 120% power limit I get right at about 2 GHz core clock. Voltage actually made things unstable even though temps were fine.

Hit ctrl + f to bring up the curve chart. Its pretty simple to use and it plots the voltage at x freq. One thing you'll notice is that once you start to get to the upper end of the boost spectrum, you see that the curve is already calling for max voltage by the time it hits max boost. Then you overclock and woops, there is no more voltage to scale up as you go from 1800mhz to 2100mhz. Doh. Most use the curve to push max voltage sooner to gain a lil more stability well before hitting max clocks. I suppose it might also be useful if you have a card with bad cooling that could not run stable with the stock voltage curve and you dialed in more to be stable. However, that would probably constitute grounds for a replacement/rma.

you guys using any overclocks to hit your 2000, 2100mhz? or just water cooling with boost clocks stock hits that high?

you guys using any overclocks to hit your 2000, 2100mhz? or just water cooling with boost clocks stock hits that high?
I'm on the stock blower and getting 2000 MHz Boost with overclocking. It will hit only around 1750 MHz Boost without overclocking.

I'm on the stock blower and getting 2000 MHz Boost with overclocking. It will hit only around 1750 MHz Boost without overclocking.

I'm on air but I also have it overclocked - +200 on core. I get like 1980 mhz or thereabouts during boost

I've got Titan XP modded with the EVGA 1080/1070 water block. With no changes in AB, the card hits right under 1900 during boost. I play at 4k 60Hz on a Sony TV and haven't had any issues at all. I'll probably overclock just to see what I can hit pretty soon.

I usually set an offset just a little lower than the clock I'm trying to achieve, then move the point for the voltage up to the frequency of your target clock. Keep GPUz open and watch the PerfCap Reason Line. At some point, you'll hit the power limit (that's green, indicated by PWR)...at that point, your best option to is lower temps, lower voltage one level and try your desired clock again. Keeping the GPU as cool as possible will allow for higher clocks, at lower voltages, and extend the range of the overclock, before you hit the power limit.

Like this:

cHLlI5C.png

You don't really have to bother with an offset for 2 reasons:
  1. When OCing you're gonna be interested in only the last voltage step.
  2. If you don't need the performance of the last step you likely don't need the performance of the previous steps anyway.
c8f619903c.png

Just do that. Leave the stock frequency alone and just raise the exact voltage step to your desired clock. Also raise Power Target but leave Core voltage alone, unless you're aiming for 1093mV, which most of the time doesn't help.

It does work that way, but they usually react better, and score better, when the super aggressive curves aren't used. Just my personal experience.

Back