Any Beefs with Diablo III design?

Gee, having opinions are a crime now. Just because people have opinions and want that in teh game they'll buy, makes them worst than you who is whining about people whining. >.>

Blizzard has more or less established a reputation for knowing what they're doing when it comes to make games, so I will trust that they know better than I what makes a good game.

The whole argument seems pointless; if it's such a huge issue for you, aren't there utilities that will allow you to run post-processing filters? If desaturating the colors and increasing the contrast increases your enjoyment of a game so much that it becomes a dealbreaker for you...why are you playing it in the first place? Why are you playing games at all, really?

Its not a deal breaker, but people would like what they want in the game they are going to buy.

To the people who say that airing opinions doesn't matter.. Blizzard is not a team of gods who live in a parallel universe ok.. they are just normal people among us trying to make a product that hopefully people will like and buy, so ofcourse they will listen, to some extend. Personally I'd guess they won't pay too much attention to this when we're only looking at something like <10k ppl who will sign this, but it's still a healthy amount that signals that this is probably the opinion of a fair percentage of the potential customers, so they would be stupid to completely ignore this message.

Ofcourse they won't obey this petition but it's very probable that it will serve as a little directional reminder on a subconscious level. Wich could be all it takes to make the change in question. Voicing your opinion always matters :)

That is, if they see that petition. They are already trying to keep the Gothic feel, or so says the guy from Blizzard in one of the video.

Anyone bitching about a few minutes of gameplay footage for a game that's YEARS away from being released needs a serious brain adjustment.

If they dont see this stuff and pay attention why have they already made a response? They still seem to think we are over reacting so they tried to explain it away. If we keep complaining though they will probably compromise.

Who do you think game companies value more? people who give honest opinions during game development about what they would like to see and what needs to be changed so they can get a consensus on the public opinion while they still have a chance to change... or the brown nosers who tell the people with opinions to shut up. I almost feel like I'm back on the AOC forums with all of the anti-opinion trolls.
One opinion doesnt matter, but a consensus should if the company wants to please the fans.

The problem with that is that the coloring issue is that despite the appearance of opinions, it probably isn't really a consensus at all. The people that don't like it are just much more vocal.

If they dont see this stuff and pay attention why have they already made a response? They still seem to think we are over reacting so they tried to explain it away. If we keep complaining though they will probably compromise.

Who do you think game companies value more? people who give honest opinions during game development about what they would like to see and what needs to be changed so they can get a consensus on the public opinion while they still have a chance to change... or the brown nosers who tell the people with opinions to shut up. I almost feel like I'm back on the AOC forums with all of the anti-opinion trolls.
One opinion doesnt matter, but a consensus should if the company wants to please the fans.

I really don't think that blizzard employees have time to browse hardforums when they are working 90 hours a week...

what they dont?

It's a Blizzard game. We know 2 things about Blizzard games.
1: It will be awsome and pretty much flawless.
2: It will be done when it's done.

I can't believe this crap of poeople having the arrogance to try and tell a game developer, any game developer, especially Blizzard how to design their game.

Waah, I don't like the colors, it's to bright. Give me a damn break and go cry a river somewhere else.:rolleyes: I don't like the idea of this, or that ..... Grow a set, quit crying about a game that is who knows how long away from release and either buy or don't buy the game when it comes out.

To the people who say that airing opinions doesn't matter.. Blizzard is not a team of gods who live in a parallel universe ok.. they are just normal people among us trying to make a product that hopefully people will like and buy, so ofcourse they will listen, to some extend. Personally I'd guess they won't pay too much attention to this when we're only looking at something like <10k ppl who will sign this, but it's still a healthy amount that signals that this is probably the opinion of a fair percentage of the potential customers, so they would be stupid to completely ignore this message.

Ofcourse they won't obey this petition but it's very probable that it will serve as a little directional reminder on a subconscious level. Wich could be all it takes to make the change in question. Voicing your opinion always matters :)

I really can't stand the WoW players who have no idea the history of Blizzard games. This isn't Everquest and this isn't SOE quit bitching. But as per the quoted posters, I agree with both. The game is going to be awesome no matter what. I really loved the dungeon in the game play video, i thought it looked perfect.

Though I also think Blizzard will listen and will definitely want feedback. I don't think a petition is needed at this time, but there should be proper channels to bring up concerns such as these to the developers(such as equipment and item drops).

I hate how everyone is saying it looks like alot like wow.

honestly I think it could be a little darker themed but it doesn't look like wow at all. I think what really stuck in my head the most when playing diablo 2 was playing at night with headphones on. The ambient sounds in that game and music are awesome, I hope thats what stays true to diablo III

I hate how everyone is saying it looks like alot like wow.

honestly I think it could be a little darker themed but it doesn't look like wow at all. I think what really stuck in my head the most when playing diablo 2 was playing at night with headphones on. The ambient sounds in that game and music are awesome, I hope thats what stays true to diablo III

The music, like always, I expect to be good. Ever try studying to the ambient D2 music? At first it's soothing...but in a few minutes, you want to login and play. So in that sense, it fails as study music haha.

In regards to the topic at hand though - any D2 player remember how Blizz took away BH/Conc, only to reinstill it in another patch. I can understand the mantra for class specific (+skills, etc.), otoh, if items could be used by all, it certainly makes them more tradable. Probably a really poor example, but I used a Tal's armor for the longest time on my zon, b/c it was the best armor I could find.

Of course later, my MF sorc found quite a few more, but I remember people laughing at me for being the only purple zon on BNet. Something I'm quite proud of :D

But yeah, I think it's too early. Blizz is very flexible (BH/Conc example), so who knows what's gonna happen?

I'm not a game designer, but I play one on the forums...

LOL Maybe some of you people should apply to Blizzard for a game developer job. Or better yet, make your own game.

i dont like the idea of class specific armor or player specific drops

Um, this is what diablo is? d2 had plenty of specific items that only worked with set classes.

Well I for one am glad they stuck with the same mechanics and classic top-down view instead of trying something new, my biggest fear was that they'd decide to try a first-person view or something. As long as they stick with the same multiplayer formula that they used in D2 I'll be happy.

dido, i was worried it would be WoW-afied somehow.

Blizzard has not let me down yet, I trust them completely that they will make a great game.

+ infinity

It's funny how many people that love Diablo say it's because of the gameplay...yet those same people complain about the art style when in the end, art style doesn't impact gameplay.

yes, true to some extent, but diablo sets a mood with good graphics and effects / audio, those items help set that feeling even more to immerse it's players, if graphics didnt matter, why do game makers make better looking games? why not use the old diablo enginme and up the resolution... sure you wouldnt care then... heck, lets use the ut99 engine for everything then, since graphics dont matter at all..

this guy has it right. i don't care if it's got rainbows and unicorns, if its as fun as d2, i'll buy it day one

+ infinity

Quick now ... everyone rush to judgement.
:rolleyes:

tell me about it!

bingo!

Blizzard has more or less established a reputation for knowing what they're doing when it comes to make games, so I will trust that they know better than I what makes a good game.

+ infinity again

Anyone bitching about a few minutes of gameplay footage for a game that's YEARS away from being released needs a serious brain adjustment.

for sure, little is known about the game or what other levels there are.. as i recall the desert in d2 was pretty DAM bright!!!

The problem with that is that the coloring issue is that despite the appearance of opinions, it probably isn't really a consensus at all. The people that don't like it are just much more vocal.

I really can't stand the WoW players who have no idea the history of Blizzard games. This isn't Everquest and this isn't SOE quit bitching. But as per the quoted posters, I agree with both. The game is going to be awesome no matter what. I really loved the dungeon in the game play video, i thought it looked perfect.

Though I also think Blizzard will listen and will definitely want feedback. I don't think a petition is needed at this time, but there should be proper channels to bring up concerns such as these to the developers(such as equipment and item drops).
Yup, again.. i am completly happy with what i have seen so far... i wish the online petition site would get hacked to hell, now everything thinks they can petition for things and it will make some diff.

I'm not a game designer, but I play one on the forums...

LOL Maybe some of you people should apply to Blizzard for a game developer job. Or better yet, make your own game.

I'm actually trying, or learning really, of course, I'm not doing too well >.>

Anyway, whats with the sudden class specific discussion? I honestly don't mind them, but I'd prefer not to have them, would be better to have more looks for all the characters.

Well seeing as how weve only seen 2 classes and 20 minutes of pre-pre-alpha gameplay, do we really have anything to go on besides blind assumptions?

I mean im not a big fan of the health orb but who knows if it will even be in there in a couple years?

I don't want brown and grey but I want it to be gothic.... if they really can make it gothic and have color, awesome. But those after ss look alot better imo.
It's entirely possible. id mixed menacing gothic structures with a vibrant color palette in Quake 3. The game isn't exactly "scary", but it's not WoW, either. The only thing that's actually bothering me about Diablo 3 is how little contrast there seems to be in every surface, but a quick contrast boost'll surely solve that. And, yeah, I guess I'm not too big a fan of the rainbows, either...

Honestly, I don't really care for the little color corrected shots I'm seeing here. I can't even tell what the fuck is going on here. Why would I want to play a game I can't even see?

The petition thing is absolutely hilarious, of course, and establishes a new standard in lameness.

if graphics didnt matter, why do game makers make better looking games? why not use the old diablo enginme and up the resolution... sure you wouldnt care then... heck, lets use the ut99 engine for everything then, since graphics dont matter at all..

Because they try to make up for lack of gameplay with graphics. Look at Crysis. That game was eye candy but gameplay wasn't exactly out of this world.

Music is there for D3...graphics are there. Sure it's not dark and gritty, but it is 20 years AFTER the events of Diablo 2. The storyline for Diablo 3 says that they were expecting an invasion after Diablo 2, but it never came. It makes SENSE that the graphics aren't shades of black and grey. The denizens of the Diablo world can be speculated to have started rebuilding.

Sounds like lots of you people want Diablo 2.5...because you seem to forget that the storyline is supposed to advance. Maybe you guys rather have Diablo 2 with nicer graphics in the same palette of black and grey.

Honestly, I don't really care for the little color corrected shots I'm seeing here. I can't even tell what the fuck is going on here. Why would I want to play a game I can't even see?

Yeah that pic exaggerated the "darkness" many fans wanna see, but remember that in D2 most of your surroundings were very dark with a light radius from your character, especially at night. It makes you wanna wander off the road and explore everything around you. Making it dark enough to give that kind of immersion while not killing off the wonderful details is the balance I'm hoping they're tweaking at the moment.

I really liked the strong lighting around the barbarian in the modified pic though. I'm also hoping for detailed, high resolution textures that have the "gritty" effect like in D2.

Sorry if I'm a bit ignorant here but if color composition and contrast are the beefs here can't it just be done with a custom color / brightness / contrast / gamma profile for the game? (screen / gfx settings?).

Personally I'll be looking forwards to a game with a bit of color as opposed to many of todays greyscales games...
Yeah but that would require you to manually adjust the settings for each game, save a profile, load the profile etc. Plus, it's not going to look as good. Those images not only have color differences but filters applied to obtain a texture look that you can't get by simply adjusting colors.

I trust Blizzard to make a good game, I just hope it does have it's dark side. Even Diablo II wasn't as 'dark' as Diablo I.

I'm sure the game will be lots of fun. I have the same complaints about the graphics as many others do though...

the game isent even done yet. how about we see what it looks like when its closer to being actually done. as others have said ...its waaaaay down the road. ill reserve judgement on the colors and such when its closer to being done. right now i wish they would hurry up...im liking what i see so far.

I can't believe this crap of poeople having the arrogance to try and tell a game developer, any game developer, especially Blizzard how to design their game.

Waah, I don't like the colors, it's to bright. Give me a damn break and go cry a river somewhere else.:rolleyes: I don't like the idea of this, or that ..... Grow a set, quit crying about a game that is who knows how long away from release and either buy or don't buy the game when it comes out.

While so far Blizzard has created excellent games, that doesn't mean that Diablo 3 will be just as great. Quite a few games have been hyped but have come out average. Currently I have no comment on D3 since it is still early.

Anyway, didn't most of the members who created D2 leave Blizzard? It will be very hard to top a game like D2.

blizzard i would be amazed if they dropped the ball on this one. true there is a chance ...however unlikely. people have been chomping at the bit for this game for seems like forever. from what ive seen so far its impressive. would be nice to get a playable demo or something but i know thats even a long ways off.

It's entirely possible. id mixed menacing gothic structures with a vibrant color palette in Quake 3. The game isn't exactly "scary", but it's not WoW, either. The only thing that's actually bothering me about Diablo 3 is how little contrast there seems to be in every surface, but a quick contrast boost'll surely solve that. And, yeah, I guess I'm not too big a fan of the rainbows, either...

The petition thing is absolutely hilarious, of course, and establishes a new standard in lameness.

I agree that it isn't WoW, I think many people exaggerated on that. As for the darkness, I also agree, I did mention before that that after ss looks a bit too dark, since you can't see stuff like the ledge on the side. But I realy do prefer the darker after ss over the colorful one, the rain was also a nice effect to add.

One thing that could be done to that darker ss is added lightning to help light things up. A bit of moonlight as well, and it'll become, probably, perfect.

the game isent even done yet. how about we see what it looks like when its closer to being actually done. as others have said ...its waaaaay down the road. ill reserve judgement on the colors and such when its closer to being done. right now i wish they would hurry up...im liking what i see so far.

people like you really bug me. You tell us to wait untill the game is near release. But what if we get near release and nothing has changed, by that point I doubt blizz is gonna want to even consider going back and changing things. Thats like waiting till two kids are done fighting and telling them to break it up after one is already laying on the floor, makes no sense.

The best way to get it changed is to complain and let our voices heard while its still early in the development stages, this way atleast they will be more willing to listen to us and change it since they havent poured all this time into it yet.

Personally I dont like the idea of class specific armor. Anyone being able to wear anything (allowing for oddball builds) was one of the draws for me.

I didn't know that. More and more Diablo is being morphed into WoW, from the looks to the loot.

Inventory system is the same as WoW 1 item per inventory slot, they even got bags in now. Some people are saying items are going to be bound to your character one use, so forget about doing boss runs which were the only thing that kept Diablo 2 going.

What's left to transform Diablo 3 into a WoW loser's dream? Raiding, character respec, no more going hostile and PK'ing, PvP will probably only be in battlegrounds with shit like capture the flag....

I agree, I will come to conclusion about a game 2 years away from a 20 minute video and some screenshots.

people like you really bug me. You tell us to wait untill the game is near release. But what if we get near release and nothing has changed, by that point I doubt blizz is gonna want to even consider going back and changing things. Thats like waiting till two kids are done fighting and telling them to break it up after one is already laying on the floor, makes no sense.

The best way to get it changed is to complain and let our voices heard while its still early in the development stages, this way atleast they will be more willing to listen to us and change it since they havent poured all this time into it yet.

you really think the best way is to complain on hardforum? the hard truth is that nothing you say will really make them change. gamers want everything, some people like brighter some like darker, what is blizzard going to do? what if the color scheme is optional? what if the color palates are easily swapped and they just chose the brighter one? what if this is just a quick do-up for release materials?

the game is years away. what are you complaining about? "i've extrapolated blizzards intentions for the final product and am now trying to correct their obvious mistakes based on my personal opinion and the opinions of a couple dozen other people who post on these forums"

Firstly, I think people need to hold their horses on judging the look of the game.

Cast your tiny mind back to when StarCraft 2 was launched, recall the screenshots and video that were released alongside that, then look at the latest screenshots, and maybe a few in between to watch the progression.

What has been shown of D3 so far is a game that is most likely 1+ years out, all we can say for certain right now is that it is NOT FINISHED YET.

Secondly, if you know better than Blizzard how to make great games, I beg you to go and work for them.

Thirdly, ZOMG! The guys who made D2 left Blizzard!... and made Hellgate:London... yeah great...

Fourthly, Leonard Boyarsky.

Well I was hoping for a DII upgrade not a completly new game.
So I guss I am going to be disappointed.

They have only decided on 2 classes....that is scary.
I always thought that the DARK in diablo was carried to far. I once played it with +10 to light radius and could hardly tell any difference. There were a lot of hacks, addons that had light radius and once I tried it the was a lot more fun to play. I CAN SEE!!!

well 2--3 years from now when the game is released and its $69.99 and $20 a month we will all be back here going ....MAN I REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS

They have only decided on 2 classes....that is scary.
/facepalm
They have released info on two character classes this far. I have no doubt they will release info slowly to keep people interested in the game.

something awful has a funny take on this

My Initial (Wrong) Opinion: The Witch Doctor looks like a variation of the Necromancer that focuses on infectious diseases and fire instead of death and the art of looking like J. Mascis. Being able to cast your offensive spells on pets so their attacks are buffed with those spells' abilities seems like it could be a lot of fun. I can imagine buffing one pet with a spell that slows enemies, another pet with some form of Weaken, and a third with a damage-dealing plague to mop up.

The Internet's (Correct) Opinion: WHERE DID THE NECROMANCER GO??? I'm not buying this game. Even if all of the unannounced classes are Necromancers, it's too late. Blizzard has abandoned its true fans.

read more

Man it never ceases to amaze me how whiney gamers are maybe its the younger generation.

We've seen what 2-3 videos a handfull of press releases and already theres crying.

Considering that they probably won't change the art style/direction, when you do want the crying to start?

Considering that they probably won't change the art style/direction, when you do want the crying to start?

I'd prefer the crying start after the emo nerds cut themselves, so the crying and the bleeding to death could happen at the same time.

Back