Any AMD motherboards with Dual Link DVI onboard? SOB!!!

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
My faithful 2500k system died on me, which I was using as a family room PC. This PC is used for web browsing, e-mail, you know, basic crap. I just built a new system with a 2400G using an ASRock B450M motherboard. I hooked it up to my Korean Shimian 1440p monitor and got no output. WTF. Reboot, nothing. I hooked it up to a TV via HDMI and it works great. I tried the DVI again, nothing. Oh great....

This monitor uses Apple Cinema Display panels and looks absolutely fantastic. It requires a dual link DVI connection to work, which I was getting from a 1060 video card in my 2500k. Now that the system is gone, and I sold the 1060 ($100; only cost me $170 more to build this PC) I have no way to power this monitor. I'm screwed. I either need to get another video card, or get a different monitor.

Now, if you Google DVI Dual Link and look at images, a Dual Link DVI connection looks very different from a single link DVI. Every freaking AMD motherboard out now, that has a DVI connection, looks like a Dual Link. Only, they're not. Why the hell do they used Dual Link DVI connectors, but are only capable of single link bandwidth? I'm at a loss.

I got this chip on sale at Micro Center for $109. Had I known I would have to also buy a GPU, I would have went with a 2600 CPU for the same price, and got a cheap used video card. I thought maybe I could return the motherboard and get one with display port output, and buying an adapter, but the more I read up on them, the more I find out they usually don't work.

Gah, sorry for rambling on and venting. I'm just not really happy right now. Thanks for reading.

If I remember right, what those boards use is called a DVI-I connector. It accepts both analog and digital DVI connections but aren't dual-link.

Incorrect. Take a look at this image, and then look at every AMD motherboard's DVI connection. They look like dual link DVI:

what-is-a-dvi-d-cable.jpg

Here's the I/O from my motherboard:

B450M%20Pro4(L5).png

never seen a different DVI connector on a video card or motherboard, other than the I/D differences. Only ever seen the pinout differences on DVI cables.

Yes, this is true. The look of the DVI socket doesn't mean it's fully using all the pins. I have seen older graphics cards that don't output DVI-D even when showing such a socket.
I have a Haswell PC and it uses its iGPU. The motherboard outputs the DVI-D needed for my 1440p screen. So this is not something special. I would be astonished that there is no such thing on AMD mainboards.

Many people say just get a DP to Dual-link DVI adapter if that's what you need.

Agreed, just get an adapter. They aren't expensive, and you can probably find one for 'free' laying around in any larger IT shop.

This PC is used for web browsing, e-mail, you know, basic crap.

Why not just get a cheap older used GPU? You can get something like a Radeon 7770 on eBay for about $30 and it will almost certainly have Dual-Link DVI. AMD Radeon 7xxx series and newer are still supported by the current AMD video driver.

Some of the Asus B450 motherboards support HDMI 2.0 output, maybe the DVI output would run at the speeds you need.

Some of the Asus B450 motherboards support HDMI 2.0 output, maybe the DVI output would run at the speeds you need.

Unlikely. DVI has been EOL for a while now. DVI is signal-compatible with HDMI but only when it comes to single-link DVI, which is max 1920x1200. Dual-Link DVI is/was more of a kludge, because it was the only way to make higher resolutions work at the time. It's almost like two DVI ports in one. There is no passive-adapter that can output Dual-Link DVI because that was a feature unique to DVI. Almost all DVI implementations these days are Single-Link only, because it's usually nothing more than a built-in passive-adapter to the HDMI interface.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
https://www.amazon.com/CAC-1510-DVI-D-Active-Adapter-1600P/dp/B07QKM856C

i looked into these for a similar issue, never ended up trying it. and you are essentially not using the built in video capabilities at all, but on an internet/email box it wouldn't matter.

I use one of these at my office to run an old Dell 3008 WFP (2560x1600@60Hz) and its great. You're leveraging the CPU to drive the display which is fine for an office machine if the CPU can handle it.

Come to think of it, mine is actually USB 3 to DisplayPort as my Dell will only do 2560x1600 over the DP port. I'm not actually sure looking quickly that they do a Dual Link DVI model but i'll keep looking. Mine is from Plugable and they make a bunch of stuff:

https://plugable.com/products/

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use one of these at my office to run an old Dell 3008 WFP (2560x1600@60Hz) and its great. You're leveraging the CPU to drive the display which is fine for an office machine if the CPU can handle it.

Come to think of it, mine is actually USB 3 to DisplayPort as my Dell will only do 2560x1600 over the DP port. I'm not actually sure looking quickly that they do a Dual Link DVI model but i'll keep looking. Mine is from Plugable and they make a bunch of stuff:

https://plugable.com/products/
I've had good luck with sabrent brand ones, all the way back to USB 2.0 stuff 10 years ago.

Back