Any advantage of using displayport over dvi?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Is their any advantage in using displayport over dvi? I'm using a Dell U2410 at 1920x1200...

To be specific DisplayPort v1.2 carries both audio and video.

The older DisplayPort v1.1a is video only.

All versions of displayport supports audio but it is not mandatory to implement it (on any version).

Since computer monitors seldom come with speakers there is not much point in it for most products.

All versions of displayport supports audio but it is not mandatory to implement it (on any version).

Since computer monitors seldom come with speakers there is not much point in it for most products.

The spec accepts it, yes. However, you will need the playback device to actually send audio over DP, and a display device that will accept audio over DP. I don't know of any that will do that.

Well, the connector is smaller, easier to plug in (no screws) and you can do 2560x1600+ over just one connection, those are the main points. HDMI is more of a multimedia standard for BD players, consoles, etc. DP is intended for computer monitors, but obviously both work.

DVI connectors are limited by definition to 8–bits per color plane for the data paths, while DisplayPort can go to 10-bits (and as high as 16-bits).

So if you have a 10-bit monitor (like the u3011) it might someday be advantageous to use DP over DVI.

DVI (single link) has a max resolution of 1920 X 1200. Displayport can run at 2560 X 1600 or higher. Displayport also has more bandwidth than DVI.

I swapped my dl-dvi cable for a display port cable on my 3008wfp and sometimes I get wierd fuzzy lines on my 3008wfp, but it only happens coming out of sleep and turning the screen off and then back on fixes it. Never did that with a dvi cable. I think its just the cable since I got it for $6 off ebay.

Back