I am also in the market for an affordable 30" LCD LED monitor.
I hope that Dell will come up this year with a solution to my problem...

At least brighter would help. The XL30 is very dim in a bright room as it is meant for color work in a light controlled environment not open office work. Since there are LED backlit TV's with plenty of brightness using white LED's and the cost premium on the TV's isn't horrible in every case (excluding Sony) you get the idea that white LED backlights can be both bright and not add tons to the panel cost. This is what is used in the Apple 24" LED backlit LCD, which likely adds a $300 or so premium to the 24" panel.

White backlit LCD's in 30" are not out at all and there is zero news on any coming. That's a shame really because there are a lot of forum topics across the web of folks looking for exactly this. I too would like one, but we'll both have to sit and wait because they aren't even on the horizon yet.

Dell committed to LED backlights across it's product line in 2009. One would think that this obviously should include the 30" series they are famous for. However since they have to purchase the panel from some manufacturer, and none of those have a white LED backlit panel available, that is looking very doubtful with the year more than half over. So I don't think even Dell will keep that promise in 2009.

30" (rgb) LED backlit now? Eizo and the discontinued XL30 if you can find it

30" (white=affordable) LED backlit? Probably 2010 because no one can manage to get these into production, not Samsung, not LG, and not AU Optronics.

Sorry :(

At least brighter would help. The XL30 is very dim in a bright room as it is meant for color work in a light controlled environment not open office work. Since there are LED backlit TV's with plenty of brightness using white LED's and the cost premium on the TV's isn't horrible in every case (excluding Sony) you get the idea that white LED backlights can be both bright and not add tons to the panel cost. This is what is used in the Apple 24" LED backlit LCD, which likely adds a $300 or so premium to the 24" panel.

White backlit LCD's in 30" are not out at all and there is zero news on any coming. That's a shame really because there are a lot of forum topics across the web of folks looking for exactly this. I too would like one, but we'll both have to sit and wait because they aren't even on the horizon yet.

Dell committed to LED backlights across it's product line in 2009. One would think that this obviously should include the 30" series they are famous for. However since they have to purchase the panel from some manufacturer, and none of those have a white LED backlit panel available, that is looking very doubtful with the year more than half over. So I don't think even Dell will keep that promise in 2009.

30" (rgb) LED backlit now? Eizo and the discontinued XL30 if you can find it

30" (white=affordable) LED backlit? Probably 2010 because no one can manage to get these into production, not Samsung, not LG, and not AU Optronics.

Sorry :(

Sony LED backed TV has locally dimming, whereas I believe the Samsung TV being referred to just substitutes the full screen CCFL lighting with full screen LED lighting...

Not 30" and TN Film based :)mad:), but LED is becoming more common...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/18.htm#lg_w2286
LG have announced details of their new 22 inch widescreen W2286 monitor. The new display offers an LED backlight and ultra-thin design. The W2286 offers a 1680 x 1050 resolution, 2ms G2G response time, 250 cd/m2 brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio (with a massive 1 million:1 dynamic contrast ratio too!) and is TN Film based. There is minimal power consumption as well at only 26 watts, and the screen offers VGA, DVI and 2x HDMI interfaces. The screen is also very thin at only 18mm.

Retail price is reported to be about 290 Euroes, and there is also talk of a 24" model coming soon.

I'm reading really bad reviews about the Dell LED G series on the Dell website. Mainly due to the flicker of the Monitor adjusting to ambient light sounds like their is something wrong. just a heads up.

I was thinking of getting one maybe I'll try the LG when it comes to the US.

So far LED backlight has not made up to all promises proving that it is a way better than CCFL. I think only RGB LED has a critical benefit of changing the colour gamut, but it is used only sparsely :-/ (HP LP2480zx)
As for the Samsung XL30 - it may have LED, but it is still only an S-PVA :)

I would be very happy if they simply made a 30" screen using the same technology as my LED based XPS1330.

Just imagine a 5mm thick 30" screen. :cool:

It uses a TN screen, doesn't it?
That would be unbelievably crappy with either LED or CCFL.

I'd be happy if they would come out with any 30" new panels, LED or not. There is a shortage of 30" panels capable of 2560x1600 res in the industry right now. In addition we are way overdue for a panel spec refresh/updating in the 30" arena. There just isn't enough 30" volume I guess to generate the r&d/manufacturing to make this happen anytime soon. I think when you see LG come out with some supply on 30" panels, then we may have some better choices, but for now, it is extremely slim pickens on even regular 30" monitors. :(

LED's (white or rgb) do not have the color shift over time that CCFL's do. The backlight on the XL30 was rate for 100,000 hours, not 20,000 like many CCFL's.

So there are benefits. I also prefer the black levels of S-PVA but the XL30 was a bit too dim, intended for color work not brighter office environments.

Oh well - perhaps 30" led models come in 2010.

Back