Any 2080ti owners playing City of Heroes at 4k?

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
If so, with AA/AF off and everything else maxed what kind of FPS are you getting?

Please and thank you.

upload_2019-10-8_9-32-40.png

No, it is not worth the money to upgrade to a 2080 Ti to play City of Heroes, if that is what you are asking.

What I am asking is if anyone knows the FPS - I prefer to make my own mind up.

Posting messages from another forum where I also didnt get an answer doesnt really help.

I thought servers went down years ago.....

I respect your passion but I don't think you are going to find many people playing a 15yo mmo on private servers with a $1000 GPU to answer your question.

I'm kind of shocked your 1080ti isn't doing the trick.

I respect your passion but I don't think you are going to find many people playing a 15yo mmo on private servers with a $1000 GPU to answer your question.

It's back from the dead. There's actually a lot of people playing right now, something like 100k accounts registered on Homecoming.

The engine is not well optimized for anything newer then a GTX 680 and while 4k works, it does not go fast. I manage about 20 fps with settings maxed. For a MMO that is typically good enough as long as things stay smooth with no stuttering still it could be better and some environments drop the fps to 15 which is problematic.

The current team working on it has released new content, x64 code etc. The Homecoming Team has also posted they are in Talks with NCSoft about going fully legit.

With all the work being done by volunteers upgrading the game engine or even upgrading the OGL version are not so likely any time soon. I also dont see NV optimizing drivers which could help a great deal.

I would have thought at least 1 RTX 2080ti owner was playing and at 4k. Oh well.

You should make an account and play. Best character creator of any game ever. Lots of story and fun.

I played CoH and CoV when it was current. It had by far the best community of any game I have played. I know a few people who were outright devastated when the servers shutdown.

I played CoH and CoV when it was current. It had by far the best community of any game I have played. I know a few people who were outright devastated when the servers shutdown.

It still looks reasonably good.

I used to play that game. I might have to give it a shot this weekend.

I have. Well with full graphics loaded i barely for 10 fps lol. once lowered to nothing i hit between 30-100. Big raids 30/40. less packed stuff 80/100. I guess i average 40/60. not bad. the space is worth it for me. i honestly dont notice a difference. but if i ramp down to 1080 w low graphics i get 120/130. i like it. 4k at even 30fps is cool with low game graphic settings

With my 1080ti I am getting about 20 fps, mostly full settings but some sacrifices were required.

If you're willing to give it a shot now, CoH/CoV has returned from the dead in a rather unprecedented way. Apparently when the main servers shut down, one of the devs basically dumped ALL the game content client and server alike - up to and including not only the latest update, but unfinished bits too - to a small covert project. For years they worked more or less in secret, updated and got things working for a private server, plus developed an entirely new "issue" past the last official one. Last year, after over a decade they figured they could probably avoid NCSoft calling out the legal dogs as much, and planned to release the content in a way that once the genie was out of the bottle it wouldn't be able to put it back in. Many fan projects from mods to private servers get shut down because of a long, public "We're working on this thing!" lead up period (see - the Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes sequel, the Metroid 2 Remake etc) so keeping things quiet until they were ready to go was understandable on something of this size.

Though there was still some drama between different teams/projects/private servers eventually things released as intended and now its playable for free and open to the public! I should mention I don't have anything more than a 1070 so I can't speak to 2080 Ti performance. Last I played on my 1070 though it seemed to be quite smooth, at 1440p with all maxed.

CoH was my first MMO. It died for me when they introduced PvP. Used to go on hamidon raids all the time, after that update it was dead, and I was sad.

COV was cool adding in the villain perspective, but it fundamentally fractured the player base. They eventually fixed it by allowing villians/heroes to easily switch zones, but it really did damage the game IMO.

That being said, COH/COV never really made any mistakes to cause it to get cancelled. It basically only got cancelled because it wasn't a big enough on NCSoft's charts for them to continue caring about, and they generally didn't give a shit about the western markets. Even worse is that COH/COV was one of the few MMO's actually turning a profit, and they killed it for crap like Tabula Rasa. They could still be running COH/COV today and I think it would still have a large playerbase and still generating profit IMO.

Been playing it for a while now on my 2080Ti at 4k. Been no problems with play so far. Been the only MMO i've been on lately. :happy:

Might give this a shot again for nostalgia. I played it at launch, and enjoyed it, but didn’t want to pay the recurring fee.

RanceJustice - what link do you recommend for download? Looks like there might be several flavors on a brief google search.

In my case, i went for the Tequila/Homecoming one. Did just fine.

Back