any 1/2"ID hard drive coolers?

jwill

2[H]4U
im looking for something like this...

discflow3cuweb9ww.jpg

this cooler would be perfect since im planning on cooling three drives if i can. i cant seem to find any hard drive coolers in 1/2"ID. does anyone know where i can get one of these or similar? thanks.

No, but since you already seem to have one why are you asking? Just change the hose barbs or run it in parallel.

Added: Where did you get the pic from? Looks like a pair of Koolance HDD coolers mounted differently.

Top Nurse said:
No, but since you already seem to have one why are you asking? Just change the hose barbs or run it in parallel.

Just a guess, but I don't think he owns the block in the pic. He wants to buy one

Yeah I would suppose so, but he had to get the pic from somewhere right?

i wish i owned that cooler, unfortunately i don't. ive had that picture for a while, but i've since forgotten where it came from.

fore1337 said:
SVC is selling some HDD water blocks with 1/2" barbs.
thanks for that. svc doesn't say what size connection the they are. they look like 1/2"OD to me. :/

does anyone sell a true 1/2"ID hard drive cooler?

Those blocks are obviously DIY, so to obtain a few of those particular blocks you'd have to find the original maker and ask him to make you a few. If you're handy, or have a few machinist friends, they'd be fairly simple to make... They're basically just 2 normal oldschool style waterblocks that are flipped sideways. The water channels to get maximum cooling over the block (although you don't REALLY have to optimize it too much in this case) would be a little tricky, although you could just split the first inlet into 2 channels right when the water enters the block, and then join them to flow to the other side 9bottom) of the block, where it again splits into two channels (for a total of 4 horizontal channels, and 1 vertical one, in a glorified "U" shape). All you need to do is get the width right, which is not hard... 5.25" - 3.5" / 2 = answer

I doubt it'd really cost you too much to get machined... raw materials would be very cheap as well. To get the block(s) made for you should be less than $100 easy. If you have friends that have access/skills, you could probably get it made for $20.

Raw materials would cost 10-15 for both blocks, machining and time is where you have to pay... you can pay a plumber or heatercore shop/something similar shop to solder them in front of you and then get a friend to tap the copper on the side(s)/thread it for the barbs.. Sounds fairly complicated, but it could/can/will/would be a simple process if you plan it out well....

Having some made would be one way, another would be getting two Y connectors thet go from one 1/2 barb to two 3/8 ones, and using them to connect two 3/8 waterblocks.

You'll get better cooling with a 5V fan mounted underneath, not to mention you're adding restriction to the loop which is cooling stuff that actually needs to be cooled.

Top Nurse said:
I think those blocks look very similar to something I saw on the http://www.alphacool.de/perl/news.pl site about 1/2 way down. You could bolt them sideways on your hard drives. :D

A guy on the WizD forums bought those, which is Watercool's Silentstar HD dual. Then he proceeded to turn it into a 1/2" ID compatable doohicky for his very hot Maxtor 250gb's. Hard drives don't really add much heat to the loop, plus they can be fun to water cool. I water mine for no other reason than "just because".

Back