Anxiously awaiting 5970 (or compatible)

Frraksurred

2[H]4U
Eyefinity has my full attention. I built a triple 30" setup in the hopes I would one day be able to play across all three at their native resolution. Neither SofTH no TripleHead2Go could do so to my satisfaction. The 5870 is enticing, but knowing there is a faster, dual GPU option in the works (5970), has me waiting. I'm sure the 5870 would play all but the newest games at an adequate FPS, but I've never been one for merely "adequate" if I could avoid it. :)

So any news on when Hemlock is supposed to hit? I've heard everything from a couple weeks to several months, depending on what Nvidia does. I'm hoping for sooner. :p

I've been scouring the forums like crazy for info on this and so far nothing significant. There was rumours about it being a month after the 5870 which would put that on the 22nd which has passed, I think there was also another rumour about an NDA being in place until the 23rd which was yesterday but still no more information.

All we really know so far is it's on the roadmap images for Q409, it actually exists since hardwarecanucks have pictures of it. And it will probably drop the x2 notation to become a 59xx card which I think the 5970 is a guess for the most part.

I'm interested in this card since I went crossfire 4870's last round and only a month later they had the 4870x2 with the same power + more vram on one card for a similar price.

The rumors I've read imply ATI may be waiting to see what Nvidia releases so they have a trump card for it.

The rumors I've read imply ATI may be waiting to see what Nvidia releases so they have a trump card for it.

That would suck then. Us Eyefinity owners need this dual GPU beast sooner than later, if we want to triple screen across our 27" or 30" displays.

I mean if the technology is there, and cards have been photographed out and about, I don't see the point of holding onto something special, just to wait to see what your competitor has coming ? :rolleyes:

I think it is more of a driver thing, waiting for Eyefinity to work perfectly with Crossfire, that may be a 9.11 or 9.12 Catalyst driver, and the card won't be released until those drivers are mature and qualified ?

I mean if the technology is there, and cards have been photographed out and about, I don't see the point of holding onto something special, just to wait to see what your competitor has coming ?
Because it means then (if the hardware is good enough) AMD can rain on NVidia's day. Except I don't think it will be good enough. Which makes it kind of pointless.

I don't buy that argument, if they have something better they should just release it now and get in on the action early while there is no competition. Waiting doesn't give them any benefit, raining on Nvidias release day is a pretty minor win for them, releasing a whole product range is far more significant than AMD releasing a new card.

yeah it will be much more exciting to hear that nvidia's latest is not as fast as ati's X months old hardware and no shame at all even the newer nvdia cards are faster. I hope ATI is releasing the 5900s soon.

Someone (think on this board even) already suggested that price wise it must be suicide to release those cards at any other time then when Nvidia has shipped their product ;) .

That may be true. At the same time, ATI has played second fiddle to Nvidia since the 9700 Pro days. Between DX11, Eyefinity and good performance, ATI may finally be in a position to reclaim some market share again. That would be worth more in the long run then trumping a single iteration cycle. It may be just as wise to keep their momentum going while they can.

I'm no economics expert, so that may also just be my desire to see the card sooner rather then later talking.

I thought the rumors always did point to a Thanksgiving time frame for the 5870X2 release ? It seems that is still on track from all the recent news as well. Just need to wait about a month or so and she will be here :cool:

But there should be previews before that, when will those be is the question

I am starting to believe that they are just waiting for the supply to get better, the slides actually said that hemlock will be under 500, and cypress xt will be under for hundered. now if they release the card at 499 price point now even if they could, don't you think how pissed the ati hd 5870 owners will be when they realize oh for another 120 bucks that has theoratically twice the horse power, by the time hemlock will be released you can expect the hd 5870 to go down to 299, and than 499 for dual gpu card will make more sense. and I am sure the hd 5850 will go down to 229 or may be even 200 by the time hemlock is out of the closet.

I am starting to believe that they are just waiting for the supply to get better, the slides actually said that hemlock will be under 500, and cypress xt will be under for hundered. now if they release the card at 499 price point now even if they could, don't you think how pissed the ati hd 5870 owners will be when they realize oh for another 120 bucks that has theoratically twice the horse power, by the time hemlock will be released you can expect the hd 5870 to go down to 299, and than 499 for dual gpu card will make more sense. and I am sure the hd 5850 will go down to 229 or may be even 200 by the time hemlock is out of the closet.

I very strongly agree with your point but feel that I need to add one thing. ATI would really only be hurting themselves by releasing hemlock now. No competition from Nvidia and having the top card(sans the 295 although its arguable) makes releasing it detrimental to their profits. They would have to lower the prices for all of their lineup like you stated. Note the mainstream parts are a much larger market share and higher profit section than the high end.

Unless they released the card at approximately 2x times the current price of the 5870 it would seem to be a poor business decision.

^^ very true, thats why I expect the card to be 499, and hd 5850 x2 399, and finally it should be hd 5870 for 299, that makes more sense, but you cant really expect them to release hemlock based cards right now, becuase I really don't think they could keep up with demand in anyway, and dropping the prices on any card for them doesn't make any sense, it is not like hd 5870's are not selling, lol.

I am jealous, wow three 30's I thought I had it good with my 20x30x20 setup
102220097518.jpg

I would do another two 30's but my banker and gf would both leave me lol

That setup still looks great, l88bastard. :)
I'm guessing they are binning chips and fine tuning drivers for the HD5870x2.

Eyefinity has my full attention. I built a triple 30" setup in the hopes I would one day be able to play across all three at their native resolution. Neither SofTH no TripleHead2Go could do so to my satisfaction. The 5870 is enticing, but knowing there is a faster, dual GPU option in the works (5970), has me waiting. I'm sure the 5870 would play all but the newest games at an adequate FPS, but I've never been one for merely "adequate" if I could avoid it. :)

So any news on when Hemlock is supposed to hit? I've heard everything from a couple weeks to several months, depending on what Nvidia does. I'm hoping for sooner. :p

Doesn't a certain someone that runs this site running a triple monitor setup? You should get his take on it.

you're not alone man.... im waiting too......

i have money saved for a 5870X2 or 5850X2 and am constantly battling with whether to buy two cards now or wait....

Kyle is running 3 24in U2410s. CF or Quad CF should make 3 30s worth it for some I'd think.

By 5970, do you mean the 5870x2? One site listed a rumored price of $500 and had some @ B3D thinking it would actually be two 5850 chips because of heat and power useage.

Kyle and Brent know but they would have to kill you if they told.

I'm guessing a 5870x2 (5970) would be close to twice the price of a single 5870, that would be $599, but we're talking about one f-ing fast card...

I am starting to believe that they are just waiting for the supply to get better, the slides actually said that hemlock will be under 500, and cypress xt will be under for hundered.

Don't know if we are looking at the same slides (I'm looking at the ones on [H] from the 5870 review) but they are open to interpretation. The Cypress is positioned right at $300. As we already know there is one below and one almost $400. The Hemlock is positioned above $400. Going just by that I would guess the dual 5850 version to be around $420~450 and the dual 5870 version to be over $500.

I doubt the two current cards would drop in price if Hemlock comes out in November. With current demand not being met, it makes no sense.

All signs so far point to Hemlock being a pair of 5850's not 5870's which would fall right in line with current pricing. If you think about it, it really make the most sense from a performance standpoint, temperature and power consumption as well.

Much the same path as Nvidia took, the 285 was the single fastest GPU, but the 295 was the single fastest card using two slower GPU's. Hemlock could be the same and most likely will based on early reports. Sure you can get better performance with a pair of 5870's, but that would really be more expensive and extreme which is sort of like dual 285's in SLI.

All signs so far point to Hemlock being a pair of 5850's not 5870's which would fall right in line with current pricing. If you think about it, it really make the most sense from a performance standpoint, temperature and power consumption as well.

Much the same path as Nvidia took, the 285 was the single fastest GPU, but the 295 was the single fastest card using two slower GPU's. Hemlock could be the same and most likely will based on early reports. Sure you can get better performance with a pair of 5870's, but that would really be more expensive and extreme which is sort of like dual 285's in SLI.

So what is better for gaming, price not factored in. One single dual GPU card like the 4870X2, or GTX-295. Or are 2 - 4870's in Crossfire better for gaming, and 2 - GTX-270's in SLI compared to single GTX-295 ?

Do games like 2 single cards tied together in Crossfire or SLI better than dual gpu's on one card ?

I think people are missing one major point on why ati may be holding off releasing the 5870x2. Eyefinity does not work in Crossfire which is the biggest marketing tool for the new 5000 series aside from dx11. I'm sure a good amount of people that want one want it for for eyefinity so releasing the card before eyefinity works with it seems like a bad move imo.

So what is better for gaming, price not factored in. One single dual GPU card like the 4870X2, or GTX-295. Or are 2 - 4870's in Crossfire better for gaming, and 2 - GTX-270's in SLI compared to single GTX-295 ?
There's not much difference. 2 275s vs 1 295 isn't really fair because to keep heat and power requirements down the 295 has slightly lower clocks than a 275, so 2 275s would beat a 295 most of the time. However, 2 4870s don't have much difference compared to a single 4870X2.

I think people are missing one major point on why ati may be holding off releasing the 5870x2. Eyefinity does not work in Crossfire which is the biggest marketing tool for the new 5000 series aside from dx11. I'm sure a good amount of people that want one want it for for eyefinity so releasing the card before eyefinity works with it seems like a bad move imo.

I was thinking the same thing today. What is the point of releasing a card that is basically crossfire on a single PCB, if the drivers won't work with crossfire + eyefinity yet? They would also get lambasted by the review sites. So I think once they get that driver issue ironed out, we will see the 5800x2 cards released shortly. I wouldn't be surprised if ATI was sitting on them right now.

Last edited:
And building up stock. Having all your cards sold out within a day of launch isn't really a good look.

I agree, and have been saying that since day one. If Crossfire and Eyefinity are not working together yet, there is no fucking way AMD releases the 5870X2. Those two must go hand in hand for 5870X2, or it's a no show pretty much. I think Catalyst 9.11 should have that resolved.

is this model 5970 being pulled out of someone's ass? it sure sounds like it. all recent AMD Dual GPU products have had a moniker that was, as follows:

base GPU name + "x2"

hence 4870 x2.

is anyone else confused by the OPs assertion of an upcoming part number which is dual GPU and called a 5970? That (in traditional AMD naming convention) would be the successor to the 5870, and a single GPU solution.

yes, I am withholding my rage.

In the new drivers the part numbers for 5900 appear, people have made the logical step that the 5900 range will be the new x2 range, in fact I think someone posted news on them dropping the x2 numbering system (which i personally prefer)

I think the part number 5970 specifically is just a guess but it makes sense as what 2 5870's would be. and probably a 5950 part for 2 5850's on one card.

good lord. these companies toss brand recognition out the window like it was gonna give them herpes. Intel should still be calling their CPUs pentiums, IMO. pentium 11 w/sse4...lol. yeah, I'm that guy.

Just to be sure I'm following this correctly, is the 5870x2 actually going to be called 5970? Will there be a 5890?

Back