Anxiously awaiting 5970 (or compatible)

I am jealous, wow three 30's I thought I had it good with my 20x30x20 setup

*snip*

I would do another two 30's but my banker and gf would both leave me lol

I know what you mean, but then... you may note my profile says "divorced". 'Spose there was any reason for that? ;)

Nice setup btw.

--

nice op still playing BF2 :)

Thanks. I play a lot of things, but BF2 is still my MP mainstay.

--

By 5970, do you mean the 5870x2?

Yes. I have heard it referred to as both, but I went with the moniker revealed in the latest drivers. However, if this is a 5870X2 or 5850X2 equivalent has yet to be seen. If the 5970 amounts to no more then two 5850's on a single board, then I will build a Crossfire system for dual 5870's.

Eyefinity is supposed to work with different sized monitors in the future correct? I think it may be more economical for those of us with dell 30s to pick up 2 20s instead of selling the 30 and getting 3 24s.

Well they better accomodate different size res monitors, because I cant part with my 30." I use my rig for work too and the real estate of the 30" makes my work pleasant, so there is no way I would step down to 24s"

Also having the 20's in portrait mode makes reading contracts and other legal jargon much easier, so for me having a 30" flanked by two 20"s is the best unbeatible combo.

Also the vertical res of 1600 is absolutely awesome in flight sims, which is what I primarily play...it lets me see more of the sky above the cockpit huds, which is more immersive than a slimmer wider setup

I don't see them releasing the X2 any time soon, they don't have enough chips for the single GPU let alone the flood of X2 card buyers.

Yes. I have heard it referred to as both, but I went with the moniker revealed in the latest drivers. However, if this is a 5870X2 or 5850X2 equivalent has yet to be seen. If the 5970 amounts to no more then two 5850's on a single board, then I will build a Crossfire system for dual 5870's.

I'm in the same boat, if the 5970 turns out to be downclocked compared to the 5870s then I'll be going crossfire 5870 instead.

Eyefinity is supposed to work with different sized monitors in the future correct? I think it may be more economical for those of us with dell 30s to pick up 2 20s instead of selling the 30 and getting 3 24s.

It's the best configuration for 30" owners I believe, the problem for me is that getting 20" 1600x1200 panels in the UK is practically impossible.

just as a question why would they do this when they have a sort of brand name of the X2. I have a friend at work that is absolutely convinced that he needs an X2 because he wants "2 gpus" he currently has a set of quadfire 3870X2 (not happy when I convinced him that he was wasting a LOT of money and power for a 24" monitor). and the 4870X2 has a good rep so why mess with the name change?

poor AMD, when they finally got people to notice, the stock (or TSMC) fails them.

I refuse to buy 5970 if stock core clock is going to be lower then 850 Mhz.

Do whatever you have to, triple slot cooler, 6oz copper pcb, gpu dedicated 20 phase power circuitry but I want my minimum 850 Mhz core clocks!

DO NOT BE GIRLY MEN, ATI.

Make a really big, heavy and powerful card for once!

I don't buy that argument, if they have something better they should just release it now and get in on the action early while there is no competition. Waiting doesn't give them any benefit, raining on Nvidias release day is a pretty minor win for them, releasing a whole product range is far more significant than AMD releasing a new card.

It gives a huge benefit especially when you've already got the high end covered with your current line. If nVidia's new card outperforms the 5870, AMD can make last minute tweaks to the bios for increased performance provided the hardware is capable, to push it's performance past it's competition. It would infact make much less sense to release it now as they'd be competing with their own product.

Also, AFIK, EyeFinity+Crossfire is not reality... yet.

The new article over at ABT has been updated http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=12606

Looks like AMD contacted them and got them to yank the benchmarks because this is an engineering sample. They also say the Bios and clock values are all not finalised so the specs we're seeing may just be an early attempt at safely reaching the 5870 speeds, hopefully they'll reach 5870 speeds with a good balance with fanspeed.

Either way it looks like there will be some pics of the final board released by AMD soon.

Nice to know at least the engineering sample will fit in my Antec 1200, I'll have to start shifting around some hard drives though :)

I

OEM price listings I have seen mentioned 5970. I have a feeling a name change is almost for certain.

LMFAO @ twinkies in the OPs pic.

:D Yeah I shot that pic when the 1.5 patch for BF2 came out. I rarely get a weekend off, but I had one that weekend, so it was party time. The shot was for the guys I play BF2 with, the twinkies were bonus. :p

Last edited:
Fantastic, and with 2 GPUs needed for the 59xx range thats going to mean either huge delays or tiny supply and associate price hikes.

:/

Is it me, or is the 5970 the best looking card you've ever seen? I hope XFX doesn't put a hideous sticker over that solid black shroud!

Is it me, or is the 5970 the best looking card you've ever seen? I hope XFX doesn't put a hideous sticker over that solid black shroud!

You know they will :)

It'll be some hideous woman in red leather and short hair, plleetthhhhrabblerabblerabble

It's not like Nvidia has never done a paper launch before. It if means not letting ATI steal the show, you know they will.

Back