Antminer A3 : 815GH on Blake(2b)

Here's one that went online a few hours ago down the street from me.

Drew is going to do a proper video later today with stats on hash rate, earnings, etc.

5:20 - 820 GH/s it looks like.

Screenshot from pool:

SIA.JPG

So it looks like about 400 coins an hour, or 9,600 coins a day. At $0.04 that works out to about $384/day, unless I did the math wrong.

Last edited:
Here's one that went online a few hours ago down the street from me.

Drew is going to do a proper video later today with stats on hash rate, earnings, etc.

5:20 - 820 GH/s it looks like.

Screenshot from pool:

SIA.JPG

So it looks like about 400 coins an hour, or 9,600 coins a day. At $0.04 that works out to about $384/day, unless I did the math wrong.

Wow. Maybe I should get 2 of these instead of the 1080ti's.....

Wow, hashrate went from 196TH/s to 694TH/s in a little over 24hrs. The "$500 PER DAY?!?!?" douchebag videos might be a little.. premature.

https://siamining.com/stats

To be fair he is very clear in the video that profit level is extremely temporary -- even going so far as to say by the end of February it might only make $40 a day, and don't go getting screwed on ebay paying $10k for one.

To be fair he is very clear in the video that profit level is extremely temporary -- even going so far as to say by the end of February it might only make $40 a day, and don't go getting screwed on ebay paying $10k for one.

I was just referring to the clickbaity BOLD LOUD NEON TEXT that the youtubers use, which gets a little exhausting,

Anyway I'm sure you'll be fine being in the first batch. Will be interesting to see how revenues fare and whether Bitmain oversold. Apparently they had a 200TH/s testfarm of A3's on Sia that they quickly powered down prior to their big flash sale so that revenue appearances would remain high.

Last edited:
Bitmain's page says across the top - that they are out of the office until Jan 26.

Looks like mine won't be shipping out this week.

Just in time for the weekend!

Chinese new year is coming soon, if it doesn't ship next week you may be F'd.

Bitmain's page says across the top - that they are out of the office until Jan 26.

Looks like mine won't be shipping out this week.

Or they are “testing” the miners before shipping them out. Gotta do that quality control.

Really they have no reason to rush these into the mail if they can make $500 a day testing them. They only need to send out enough so that people see they are real and keep buying their upcoming inventory.

Last edited:
Or they are “testing” the miners before shipping them out. Gotta do that quality control.

Really they have no reason to rush these into the mail if they can make $500 a day testing them. They only need to send out enough so that people see they are real and keep buying their upcoming inventory.

There's more complexity to their business model than that. They make more money by "edging" hype and perception than simply getting high off their own supply until they've reaped the most lucrative part of the initial profitability curve (or allowed their insider buddies to do it for them, during the mysterious "3 month preorder" window on some of their models).

There's a long game they're playing - one that involves long term control and dominance - and merely mining with their own hardware would be extremely shortsighted, and far less profitable.

Are any A3 owners worried about this petition? -

Also, I read that all A3s suffered a temporary major loss of hashrate at some point today. Any conspiracy theories about why that happened? I read one that said it was Sia devs testing a sabotage mechanism, but I doubt that. I think it was more likely something Bitmain did, or some sort of bug.

Are any A3 owners worried about this petition? -

Also, I read that all A3s suffered a temporary major loss of hashrate at some point today. Any conspiracy theories about why that happened? I read one that said it was Sia devs testing a sabotage mechanism, but I doubt that. I think it was more likely something Bitmain did, or some sort of bug.

Are all of the A3s phoning home? Otherwise I don’t see how Bitmain could have done it.

Also LOL what a jackass:

The CEO of Bitmain, Jihan Wu, was unapologetic on Twitter replying, “Sorry, we will continue mining empty blocks. This is the freedom given by the Bitcoin protocol.”

Are all of the A3s phoning home? Otherwise I don’t see how Bitmain could have done it.

Also LOL what a jackass:

economics and psychology major, aka he only cares about the money. looks like a total douche too.

Also LOL what a jackass:

We know Bitmain has built in something to previous models that allows them to be killed remotely. Antbleed

https://btcmanager.com/feature-bug-or-backdoor-antbleed-code-enables-remote-shut-down-antminer/

That's why I suspect Bitmain did something today, although maybe it was a bug. I'm reading that A3's dropped about 40% in hashrate for a two block duration. There's discussion about it on bitcointalk and reddit.

Due to the inevitable massive increase in difficultly and decrease in profit potential. As well as the Sia petition to fork and block Bitmain miners from the Sia blockchain. I opted to sell my A3 and take a modest profit vs. gamble that this all works out. Pretty interested to see if Archaea pulls in mad profit and makes me look dumb :) good luck!

I just got a notice from UPS that I'll owe another $72.75 on delivery for Import Fees.

What is that?

6foot4geek, did you have to pay a import fee like that when you took delivery?

or cybereality did you when you took possession of the s9?

Due to the inevitable massive increase in difficultly and decrease in profit potential. As well as the Sia petition to fork and block Bitmain miners from the Sia blockchain. I opted to sell my A3 and take a modest profit vs. gamble that this all works out. Pretty interested to see if Archaea pulls in mad profit and makes me look dumb :) good luck!

They’ve now decided not to fork.

ask UPS for the specific import tax code that applies and you can look it for up yourself.

years ago I bought some bicycle parts from EU and UPS sent a bill later saying I owed some import tax but I looked up the code and not only did it not apply there was no import tax for the parts I bought. So UPS was just trying to scam me and I ignored their letter and nothing happened.

Yes that was my import fee, I paid something like this back in the day when i ordered S5's from Bitmain.

I just got a notice from UPS that I'll owe another $72.75 on delivery for Import Fees.

What is that?

6foot4geek, did you have to pay a import fee like that when you took delivery?

or cybereality did you when you took possession of the s9?

I dealt with this buying motocycle stuff in eu. Some of the carriers will bill u for import tx.
While others don't DHL never sent me a bill

I got the S9 power supply without paying any additional tax, but it may be a legit charge (for example, it could be based on the value of the item, etc.).

Wow, global hashrate up to 5.5TH/s, more than 10x what it was a few days ago.

This is why you want the fastest FedEx shipping when ordering one of these clunkers

yeah, I too just saw 6.32 Ph/s - that's almost to where I thought it would land. As more of these come online, it will be really close to 8.5 Ph/s

are you sure you read that right? I just looked it up and its showing 6.32 PH/s as in peta hash/s......... O_O http://whattomine.com/coins/161-sc-blake-2b
I was looking at https://siamining.com/stats

Anyway looks like daily revenue started at $360/day a few days ago, and currently around $140/day.

Not that any of this is news or surprising - it's playing out exactly like every bitmain invasion - though not yet as badly as the D3 debacle - but for anyone thinking of jumping in on a second batch if they open another one for sale, better do some cost analysis in Excel beforehand. More than likely you'll be better off flipping it to someone math-challenged that wants to overpay, than riding the profitability elevator all the way to the basement.

In fairness, it's still way cheaper than GPU mining in terms of BTC/day per dollar invested in hardware. Really, Antminers are a test of nerves more than anything, since it's a big upfront gamble that a) you get it reasonably fast, b) you don't get a defective one which takes eons to replace, and you get to watch more batches go on sale that push your ROI point further out.

Last edited:
145 today, 110 tomorrow, 60 the next....ASIC's tend to follow this pattern as more and more come online.

Have you tried to overclock it yet?
No and probably won’t

One of my chips is already 85* at stock. I know these can go higher than 85*, but that seems plenty hot. I don’t like my GPUs to go over 75*. And it’s already so loud. No way I want it louder. In fact I’d probably undervolt/underclock to slow the fans down before I ever overclocked. I have a big house and it’s in a large utility room and you can easily hear it through two entire floors. Sounds like a hair dryer to be sure. I’d prefer it didn’t. I have 30 GPUs in the room adjacent. 18 of which are 1080ti. Those 30 GPUs in total are a whisper in comparison. But at this point that single asic is more profitable than all my GPUs combined. Honest take. These things are probably not well suited for home use.

I may try to figure out a hush box design with acoustic foam as insulation that breathes well enough to actually use.

Last edited:
I heard the very first day, 5000 where shipped. But could not find out how many where shipped the second day. I know some guys are only getting $120.00 a day. Are you still up?

Have you seen this video. The guy puts his S9 in a plastic cooler. Watch --

No and probably won’t

One of my chips is already 85* at stock. I know these can go higher than 85*, but that seems plenty hot. I don’t like my GPUs to go over 75*. And it’s already so loud. No way I want it louder. In fact I’d probably undervolt/underclock to slow the fans down before I ever overclocked. I have a big house and it’s in a large utility room and you can easily hear it through two entire floors. Sounds like a hair dryer to be sure. I’d prefer it didn’t. I have 30 GPUs in the room adjacent. 18 of which are 1080ti. Those 30 GPUs in total are a whisper in comparison. But at this point that single asic is more profitable than all my GPUs combined. Honest take. These things are probably not well suited for home use.

I may try to figure out a hush box design with acoustic foam as insulation that breathes well enough to actually use.

Last edited:
Looks like it’s down to $100 a day at this very moment. Mine had averaged 830GH/s in the last six hours. The pool fee is 3%. The electric cost here is .06kwh. I used round number cost of $3000. This calc page will keep tabs on my a3 profits using above numbers.

https://whattomine.com/coins/161-sc...5&fee=3&cost=0.06&hcost=3000&commit=Calculate

Break even is going to be a lot further out than I hoped because I’m still seeing difficulty spike up which means all the ASICS sold in the first batch aren’t yet online yet.

I wonder where the bleeding will stop on daily profitability for this first batch???

The cooler idea is definitely something to consider —- dropping 20dB is significant.

Right now in my living room it sounds like a car horn is permanently on two houses down the street. My wife said it wasn’t too bad yesterday and she could live with it, but already says she’s annoyed with it today at 8:30 AM

There's more complexity to their business model than that. They make more money by "edging" hype and perception than simply getting high off their own supply until they've reaped the most lucrative part of the initial profitability curve (or allowed their insider buddies to do it for them, during the mysterious "3 month preorder" window on some of their models).

There's a long game they're playing - one that involves long term control and dominance - and merely mining with their own hardware would be extremely shortsighted, and far less profitable.
That's shady AF and should be a crime, like the BEETCONNEEEEECT, this should be class-actionable, in my opinion.

That's shady AF and should be a crime, like the BEETCONNEEEEECT, this should be class-actionable, in my opinion.

The real shadiness is the company behind Sia presold ASIC miners that won’t ship for six months, lol. Those people won’t be getting refunds and their miners will likely never ROI because they are shipping so long after Ant:

https://obelisk.tech/

The real shadiness is the company behind Sia presold ASIC miners that won’t ship for six months, lol. Those people won’t be getting refunds and their miners will likely never ROI because they are shipping so long after Ant:

https://obelisk.tech/
Those also mine decred apparently. So while sia might not be profitable. Perhaps decred might still be.

NM -- my bad - you have to get a different unit for decred. Yeah obelisk pre-order owners are going to have a tough time of it by August of 2018 when they are supposed to ship.

Last edited:
Back