Antivirus Deals

Ghettobox

Limp Gawd
Granted this isn't a flashy deal, but some of you might get some savings out of this. Was looking for a new AV program this week and doing hours of surfing reading reviews, comparisons etc. Found this place Coupons and picked up the Vipre AV form Sunbelt. Anyhow there is a decent selection of stuff here with some savings ranging from $10 off to 20% for one year licenses. I used a legit email and was sent coupons for various AV products good at the manufacturers sites with instant discounts, and more importantly no spam.

Interesting, but with MSE and Avira I see very little reason to pay for A/V in a normal home/single machine license basis.

Yes, AVG/Avast/MSE obviates the need to pay McAfee, Norton, etc.

Therefore, anything that costs more than $0 is a cold deal by default.

mse is good but if you have xp or vista it has its issues, it works best with windows 7.

MSE is free too

paying for a AV is dumb these days

There is always one. :rolleyes: If you don't care to pay for AV don't. I don't see the need to complain about someone that does or insult them. If your fine with MSE so be it, I don't besmirch your choice (though I don't agree with it) but you won't see me adding childish snippets about how your dumb to use it. As such I would like to think most here could understand some people do not mind paying for AV or in fact don't trust the free AV's out there due to their own experiences. Sorry my trying to help those people save a few dollars has so raised your ire, or made you felt the need to comment on a segment of people when you clearly have no understanding of their needs or preferences.

Another vote for Avira. I also like Avast. You have to register, but I feel its worthy. You can go to download.com and go through their software.

I've never had issues with MSE and XP. I run that on pretty much everything I have now. Great program (for free).

There is always one. :rolleyes: If you don't care to pay for AV don't. I don't see the need to complain about someone that does or insult them. If your fine with MSE so be it, I don't besmirch your choice (though I don't agree with it) but you won't see me adding childish snippets about how your dumb to use it. As such I would like to think most here could understand some people do not mind paying for AV or in fact don't trust the free AV's out there due to their own experiences. Sorry my trying to help those people save a few dollars has so raised your ire, or made you felt the need to comment on a segment of people when you clearly have no understanding of their needs or preferences.

well said. I personally don't trust MSE, while Avast is good, but there is more to antivirus, then just some dumb virus, my dad had avast on his machine, which I installed and he clicked on some stupid junk email, and got a spyware, or malware or whatever you wanna call it, and he got nothing but trouble, popups, and junk software telling him to buy antivirus and provide with creditcard number, I couldn't clean it at all and ended up reinstalling his computer and put windows 7 on it.

I had mse on two different computers at my house and they all had xp, and it was nightmare, the software would fail to launch upon startup sometimes and would have the red danger sign all the time, and telling me to click fix now, and I click fix now and it would do nothing, and give me errors, but I did try it on windows 7, and never had that issue.

Ironic that you say that, yet he is the one who is trying to save them all their dollars by telling them that free A/V is plenty for the normal home user, and it is. I don't think he was insulting anyone, you must have read his post wrong, he is just telling you that despite saving money on A/V, it is still cheaper to pay $0 for something that works as well as an scanner, people pay for A/V for the support and maybe like active protection (like malwarebytes full version has protection which blocks IP's that are on its blacklist). I wouldn't take this so far as he was insulting you or anyone, hes just telling you, just like everyone else here will, paying for A/V is not needed for home use.

You will get Malware and Spyware whether you pay for an anti-virus or not unless you just don't use the internet! Thanks for the deal op, but I have not heard of that software and would need to test it against Kaspersky, AVG or Malwarebytes.

I work primarily as a field tech, but of the time I spend doing on-office work, I feel I get a fairly wide-spread look at antivirus solutions. As someone who has dealt with darn near every major antivirus out there, I will tell you it is infinitely more important who the user is than what software they have installed. I daily see the ignorant "click-now, think-later" mentality thwart even my all-time favorites, Nod32 and Kapersky. Symantec's products are brought to their knees at the hands of overly-eager clickers consumed with Facebook and Limewire. McAfee is laughable at best. G Data and Sophos get taken down, too.

On the other hand, a smart user could go quite some time with no antivirus at all. The trials that back this claim up are so prevalent, I trust you can please any skeptical whims with a quick Google search.

So to say that paying for an antivirus is foolish is, in my eyes, entirely accurate. MSE, Avira, and Avast all boast fantastic performances in tests by unbiased organizations. If dropping $30-50 lets you sleep better at night, then by all means, go for it. No one here is entitled to tell you how to spend your money. They are entitled (and as I said, in my opinion, correct) to say that it is a foolish expenditure.

I love Avast! It has a light footprint and gets the job done. I purchased their server version for my WHS, and it too works well.

Never going back to Norton/McAfee. Shitty and expensive does not make for a winning combination. :rolleyes:

Read this:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Then tell me again why your pay software is so much better?

Fact is there are a few good ones out there both free and pay for. If you want to pay, go for it, but frankly I have never seen a reason for a home/individual system user. In fact a lot of the free ones are just as good or better than pay for ones out there. They ALL let stuff by.

I was going to start on a really long-winded rant, but I'm going to leave it simple because I'm pretty sure none of you work in the security field at that particular level where identification and zero-hour filtering are pretty much half the reason your company exists. I work at a place that competes with "the big dogs" as far as quickest reaction times to threats and scanning accuracy are concerned.

You can think free AV is just as good, but it's really only that good in comparison to your standard AV programs. Firms like Kaspersky and Sophos have better software, and anybody that wants great protection should just look for licenses for these during Newegg's black friday deals. I paid $15 for 3 licenses (Kaspersky AV 2010) and do not regret it. This is an especially important thing to note when you're loading a non-computer-literate family member's computer with AV software.

Off topic but...

This thread kinda reminds me of the browser wars of the 90's. Why buy a browser (Netscape) when Microsoft included one for free? :eek:

Next time you get your hands on a known virus upload it to virustotal.com and see which programs spot it. The results will surprise you. I work in Information Security and on any given virus, about 7 out of 40 virus programs will spot it. Virustotal.com will reveal to you just how many AV programs miss signatures that others will find.

I think Kaspersky is good, and I also like SunBelt's Vipre. Both seem to find most viruses on the virustotal website when our team submits a suspected malicious file for analysis.

I work primarily as a field tech, but of the time I spend doing on-office work, I feel I get a fairly wide-spread look at antivirus solutions. As someone who has dealt with darn near every major antivirus out there, I will tell you it is infinitely more important who the user is than what software they have installed. I daily see the ignorant "click-now, think-later" mentality thwart even my all-time favorites, Nod32 and Kapersky. Symantec's products are brought to their knees at the hands of overly-eager clickers consumed with Facebook and Limewire. McAfee is laughable at best. G Data and Sophos get taken down, too.

On the other hand, a smart user could go quite some time with no antivirus at all. The trials that back this claim up are so prevalent, I trust you can please any skeptical whims with a quick Google search.

So to say that paying for an antivirus is foolish is, in my eyes, entirely accurate. MSE, Avira, and Avast all boast fantastic performances in tests by unbiased organizations. If dropping $30-50 lets you sleep better at night, then by all means, go for it. No one here is entitled to tell you how to spend your money. They are entitled (and as I said, in my opinion, correct) to say that it is a foolish expenditure.

So in your opinion everybody who drives a car but cant fix it is an ignorant idiot ??? :rolleyes:

So in your opinion everybody who drives a car but cant fix it is an ignorant idiot ??? :rolleyes:

Really? PC's to cars?

Fine, what he is saying is not that people who can't work on their own cars are "ignorant idiots" but that people who drive their cars with the oil light on who can't work on their own cars and keep on driving it (with the warning on) until it breaks down and then pisses and moans about what a piece of shit the car is. They, are indeed ignorant idiots.

What he's saying is that a stupid enough or determined enough user can break just about anything.

Really? PC's to cars?

Fine, what he is saying is not that people who can't work on their own cars are "ignorant idiots" but that people who drive their cars with the oil light on who can't work on their own cars and keep on driving it (with the warning on) until it breaks down and then pisses and moans about what a piece of shit the car is. They, are indeed ignorant idiots.

What he's saying is that a stupid enough or determined enough user can break just about anything.

To say that as field tech is simply plain arrogant. Im working as kind of field tech too but on a private basis, no i dont charge for my service , i just do it for fun. But i would never call any of my customers stupid ignorants just because they dont know. Many home or office users know how to turn their pc on , they maybe know how to use MS office , and they use the internet without knowing anything about viruses, trojans , malware or whatever. If the computer doesnt work anymore they just complain that the machine is no good. Thats how it is, not knowing something doesnt mean you are an ignorant.
Free AV programs as stand alone protection are simply not enough for average home or office users. They dont offer the all around care free protection a paid AV like Kaspersky or NOD32 offers.
But well he is a field tech , he makes money out of computers that dont work ... :rolleyes:

I think some of you just like the idea behind paid software. Avira for example has the same defs for their pay and free versions and both test very well.

MSE also tests out very well.

Yes, in principle what you are saying makes sense, but in the real world I have seen a lot of paid A/V suites suck completely and never had any major issues with the good free ones. For a business with a large network it is different, as there are other advantages to the paid apps. But for a simple home user or individual the free ones offer great detection rates and test well.

Again, look here:

Vipre is awesome. We are currently testing the Vipre enterprise at work right now and it's great. I've been running the home edition here at the house, its the same. Lightweight, good detection, just awesome all around. I've actually got a shitload of free licenses so I have been giving it out to friends, family ect.

Yes, AVG/Avast/MSE obviates the need to pay McAfee, Norton, etc.

Therefore, anything that costs more than $0 is a cold deal by default.

MSE generally get's good reviews. AVG does not and it's free version is not comparable to commercial products.

Based on recent reviews by AV comparatives, Avast seems to be improving, but again, the free version does not offer all the protection that you get with commercial products, including Avast's commercial offerings.

IMO, the current version of Norton is worth the price (which is typically between $0.00 and $10.00 shipped at Fry's AR). It's fast. It only seems to scan when you're not using your PC.

With that said, for those that prefer something else, you can get Kaspersky's Internet Suite offering at Fry's for for free (AR).

Personally, I'll wait until I can get the NIS suite (including Ghost 15 and Norton Utilities) for free....I have 6 months.

And if that's too much for you, then you can split the cost (or lack thereof) between you and 2 others, since it's a 3 user license.

Off topic but...

This thread kinda reminds me of the browser wars of the 90's. Why buy a browser (Netscape) when Microsoft included one for free? :eek:

Netscape was free, though I saw some home users buy it in Fry's every now and then...I never understood why.

Next time you get your hands on a known virus upload it to virustotal.com and see which programs spot it. The results will surprise you. I work in Information Security and on any given virus, about 7 out of 40 virus programs will spot it. Virustotal.com will reveal to you just how many AV programs miss signatures that others will find.

I think Kaspersky is good, and I also like SunBelt's Vipre. Both seem to find most viruses on the virustotal website when our team submits a suspected malicious file for analysis.

That's only good if their false positive rate is low. If Scanner x get's 75% of viruses, but has 25% false positives, does it really matter that they correctly find 3/4 of the viruses? I know that was one reason I dumped AVG years ago. Yes, it worked, but I was constantly getting false positives.

The best AV software, IMO, strikes a balance between the 2.

I think some of you just like the idea behind paid software. Avira for example has the same defs for their pay and free versions and both test very well.

MSE also tests out very well.

Yes, in principle what you are saying makes sense, but in the real world I have seen a lot of paid A/V suites suck completely and never had any major issues with the good free ones. For a business with a large network it is different, as there are other advantages to the paid apps. But for a simple home user or individual the free ones offer great detection rates and test well.

Again, look here:

its true there is a lot of paid software out there that really sucks. But well i guess you can argue for hours about whats better free software or paid software.... why pay $200 for an OS when you can get one for free, why pay for office software when you get it for free, why pay for games if you can get them for free , why do people pay for [H]ardforum if you can use it for free ...:rolleyes:
I simply made the experience that its better to get people a care free all around AV,spyware,malware, and parental control software package that free AV programms simply dont offer. They are always limited in some way compared to the paid version. Gives me way less headache and saves people money in the long run. You get Kaspersky or NOD32 internet security one year licenses for around $20 to $25 dollars. I made very good experiences with both.

The problem I have with the paid suites is that I always have dumb clients and customers that will not buy the renewals. Or wait a long time between renewals. Then they are unprotected from new threats and often get nailed.

With something like MSE or Avira, I can quickly recommend it to them, and they dont wait around to pay for it, etc.

I would pay for Antivirus if I saw a reason to, but with the home/individual free software that is out there right now I dont. Some of my business clients pay a ton for A/V though, as it has benefits in their environment (domains for example).

To say that as field tech is simply plain arrogant. Im working as kind of field tech too but on a private basis, no i dont charge for my service , i just do it for fun.

I'm sorry, I trust his opinion more since he charges money for his work. :rolleyes:

Being serious here for a moment, we are not talking about PC's overall, we are stating the fact that if the system runs some paid for AV vs a free AV, the user can still break/infect etc the PC. And that the end user often has just as large (if not bigger) impact on the overall security of a system as the AV of choice does.

Read this:

Then tell me again why your pay software is so much better?

Fact is there are a few good ones out there both free and pay for. If you want to pay, go for it, but frankly I have never seen a reason for a home/individual system user. In fact a lot of the free ones are just as good or better than pay for ones out there. They ALL let stuff by.

I can't believe TrendMicro continues to disappoint. I used to be such a big fan. Their interface is clean and simple and it never seems to drag the system too much.

How come they don't test Webroot's AV/AS combo? I suppose they probably use someone else's anti virus engine since their specialty is anti spyware.

The problem I have with the paid suites is that I always have dumb clients and customers that will not buy the renewals. Or wait a long time between renewals. Then they are unprotected from new threats and often get nailed.

With something like MSE or Avira, I can quickly recommend it to them, and they dont wait around to pay for it, etc.

I would pay for Antivirus if I saw a reason to, but with the home/individual free software that is out there right now I dont. Some of my business clients pay a ton for A/V though, as it has benefits in their environment (domains for example).

At Best Buy we offer auto renewal contracts for people. The customer can setup the software to automatically renew every year. You can even buy two years in advance, for one machine or three at a time. The prices are "normal" - more than free but less than say, McAfee or Norton, usually (minus some of Fry's after rebate sales.) Unlike Norton's fiasco, however, it's easy for customers to cancel.

And I honestly offer customers both options. I'll write down a paid recommendation for them, and a free one, which is usually MSE - I've had very good luck with it so far. Sometimes they decide to buy it. Sometimes they go home and download the free one. I'll explain the pro's and con's of each option, but I won't pressure them into paying for it. So far, I haven't gotten into any trouble. My store is extremely customer oriented, rather than pushing numbers. The numbers will come if you treat people right. I've seen some employees just shrug and complete the sale when a customer refuses to buy antivirus, but I will tell them to at least get something free if they don't want to pay. I don't believe in leaving them unprotected, especially if they are an average consumer who doesn't know how to repair things on their own.

Last edited:

Yeah thats true , some people you always have to remind them when its time for a renewal. And some people you can cut them off from the internet and they still get a virus, dont ask me how they do it.
I used Avira (the free version) for many years and recommended it , but like 2 years ago i started gettin a lot of trouble with it because of undetected viruses on mine and on many of my "customers" computers. Thats when i started not to use and to recommend it anymore. Well, personal experience. In the end its always kinda personal preference what kind of software you use , paid or unpaid.

I can't believe TrendMicro continues to disappoint. I used to be such a big fan. Their interface is clean and simple and it never seems to drag the system too much.

How come they don't test Webroot's AV/AS combo? I suppose they probably use someone else's anti virus engine since their specialty is anti spyware.

Ya, it annoys me. I still have some customers on OfficeScan, which is really one of the best corporate/domain AV suites I have used...but the detection rates are still a bit lower in tests.

I still use it on domains though as it has other big advantages in deployment and management.

for the folks interested in the topic of this thread...VIPRE is Good Stuff (tm). their support people are great, the software is extremely fast and very lightweight, it has detections on par with norton 2010 (VB100 dec/09) and licensing is available for 1 PC or a home site license that allows you to install it on every computer in your possession. also, you can install it on windows server OS' without any issues.

At Best Buy we offer auto renewal contracts for people. The customer can setup the software to automatically renew every year. You can even buy two years in advance, for one machine or three at a time. The prices are "normal" - more than free but less than say, McAfee or Norton, usually (minus some of Fry's after rebate sales.) Unlike Norton's fiasco, however, it's easy for customers to cancel.

Some is a bit of an understatement, since Fry's tends to have at least one free (AR) AV choice each week.;) I've seen Norton AV, Internet Security (with Ghost/Norton Utilities) and Norton 360 for free in the past 4 or 5 weeks. In most cases, it comes with a 3 user license. But hey, it's not your job to tell people about better prices at a local competitor or web site.

And I honestly offer customers both options. I'll write down a paid recommendation for them, and a free one, which is usually MSE - I've had very good luck with it so far.

I think MSE is a decent choice if you want something that's free, with decent performance and a generally good rate of detection. It's still not as good as the top commercial products (mostly because it lacks some features), but if you hate rebates, it's a good value.

Some is a bit of an understatement, since Fry's tends to have at least one free (AR) AV choice each week.;) I've seen Norton AV, Internet Security (with Ghost/Norton Utilities) and Norton 360 for free in the past 4 or 5 weeks. In most cases, it comes with a 3 user license. But hey, it's not your job to tell people about better prices at a local competitor or web site.

I think MSE is a decent choice if you want something that's free, with decent performance and a generally good rate of detection. It's still not as good as the top commercial products (mostly because it lacks some features), but if you hate rebates, it's a good value.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a Fry's. I'd love to get in on some of their B&M deals!! Holy cow ... I've certainly hit them up for some online sales and gotten some great deals. Our only real competition now is Wal Mart and Staples. It's sad the limited amount of electronics vendors we have locally, but not surprising. The population is only 50 to 60 thousand in the city limits, if I remember right.

Sometimes we'll have a good sale on the 3 user packs, like $30 without needing any rebates or anything. And if the stuff on sale is also doing a rebate for coming from an older version or a competitor product, the deal will be very close to what you can snag at Fry's. In order to get most of the Fry's sales you still have to claim that second rebate, which requires the UPC or code of a previous version, or the receipt of a competitor product.

That said, I'd obviously never walk into a store and buy the $80 McAfee pro suite right off the shelves. :D

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a Fry's. I'd love to get in on some of their B&M deals!! Holy cow ... I've certainly hit them up for some online sales and gotten some great deals. Our only real competition now is Wal Mart and Staples. It's sad the limited amount of electronics vendors we have locally, but not surprising. The population is only 50 to 60 thousand in the city limits, if I remember right.

Sometimes we'll have a good sale on the 3 user packs, like $30 without needing any rebates or anything. And if the stuff on sale is also doing a rebate for coming from an older version or a competitor product, the deal will be very close to what you can snag at Fry's. In order to get most of the Fry's sales you still have to claim that second rebate, which requires the UPC or code of a previous version, or the receipt of a competitor product.

That said, I'd obviously never walk into a store and buy the $80 McAfee pro suite right off the shelves. :D

Fry's A/V deals are available on their website, though they sometimes sell out very quickly.....you have to check them late Thursday or early Friday to get what I consider the best one: NIS2010, Ghost 15, Norton Utilities for free AR (incl. $25.00 upgrade rebate).

Though I must say that I don't ever recall that one going off with free shipping, so if you can get it for $10 Ar with free shipping, it's not much more.

Here's a report (PDF) on that AV-Comparitives site someone mentioned:
.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report25.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I use notepad as my antivirus! What!

Whew! Tension breaker. Had to be done. I do like the sample that was tested. It seems more conclusive.

Last edited:
I'm still using the older version of Avast (4?) and it has let a couple Trojans's through on various computers I am in charge of. They always come right off with MBAM, but that's still not as good as I like. I'll start installing 5 and see if it's any better.

At work, we use Trend Micro Office Scan and have never had an infection, knock on wood. It really surprises me since everyone fucks off on the internet all day.

Back