Antitrust Nominee Sees Google As A Monopoly

HardOCP News

[H] News
The nominee for the Chief Antitrust position has stated in the past that she feels that Google has a monopoly in the online ad business. She went on to warn the company that it could end up in the same hot water Microsoft did a decade ago (guess who prosecuted that case).

“For me, Microsoft is so last century. They are not the problem,” Varney said at a June 19 panel discussion sponsored by the American Antitrust Institute. The U.S. economy will “continually see a problem -- potentially with Google” because it already “has acquired a monopoly in Internet online advertising.”

Its a monopoly how? People choose to use it, webmasters choose to put it on their sites.

There are plenty of other large ad firms out there to choose from. The in-text services for example are all over these days

Forgot to add, they also allowed the Doubleclick - Google deal to go down, so it is kind of stupid to go back and now say they are a monopoly...

more money lawmakers want to waste that's all. Google is not a monopoly.

Some people just have an irrational joy in watching something big be destroyed. A lot of these neurotic lawyers are like that. Their entire goal in life is to find something big and take it down, regardless of the right or wrong of it. It's all about notoriety. These "anti trust" people just get off on bullying big companies to make up for their small...

Sure, let's disassemble the remaining successful businesses in the US. :rolleyes:

Change is here. I bet the asshole didn't pay her taxes either.

I think lawyers need to stop blind litigation and take a little time to themselves....perhaps relax and take in some reading. Might I suggest something along the lines of defining a monopoly and anti-competitive practices? I'm sure that's a new subject to them which may perk their interests.

Remember, the only winners in court cases are lawyers.

They love these sue happy times :p

If Google ends up being sued as a monopoly it will just serve as another painful reminder of how anti business our government has become. I'm sure we'd all feel frustrated to see Google sued for basically being one of our most successful and profitable companies while at the same time GM and Chrysler get yet another $20 billion.

In essence the government would be suing Google while at the same time stealing money from them to keep their unionized supporters (i.e. campaign contributors) afloat; the situation is sickening.

more money lawmakers want to waste that's all. Google is not a monopoly.

So true. But were I a lawyer, I don't know that I'd be any different. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, and the more glory you get, right?

Just glad I'm not a lawyer.

You can't tell me anyone is surprised by this...

A lot of people have been saying Google is the new MS and that they've begun to act like MS as well. I think it was only a matter of time before the monopoly talk began. I choose not to use them as much as I can anyway (kind of hard sometimes with all the sites that use their stuff for search though). Oh well.

Didn't Obama focus his campaign around not having lobbyists in his administration? What the hell is going on? He even made political campaign commercials about it, slamming John McCain. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Didn't Obama focus his campaign around not having lobbyists in his administration? What the hell is going on? He even made political campaign commercials about it, slamming John McCain. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

He also campaigned vowing more TRANSPARENCY in the government, and not signing bills without the public fully knowing what's in them.

How many senators and representatives actually read our new bailout bill??

And some change from Bush, as he sends more troops to Afghanistan and more to Iraq. In the next couple of months my brother-in-law is headed to Afghanistan. Bush sent him to Iraq. Obama, errr ... Hussein (after all, I go by my middle name, he can, too :p) is sending him to Afghanistan. Bush signed a big bailout. Obama just signed another big bailout. The government under Bush used our tax dollars to pay for a bunch of TV boxes. The government under Obama is going to use more of those dollars to pay for more of those TV boxes.

Gee. I'm glad my country's changing so much.

For the record, I actually support us fighting terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan rather than on our own soil. I also support all the humanitarian aid we're giving these countries, building schools, hospitals, donating books, blankets, clothing, food. A lot of good is being done by our country in the Middle East, REGARDLESS of what U.S. media repots.

My point is, I don't see any "big change" ... at least not for anything better.

Wow. That went off-topic. Dang you, retap.... :D

The one thing to keep in mind about Obama is that he is an amazing politician. He is in no way a statesman, let alone the savior people and the media made him out to be. He said whatever was expedient to getting him elect and then reneged on nearly all his promises.

BTW how the hell does someone sign into law new spending over 1 trillion in under 60 days of being in office?! Obama may end up being one of the worst presidents America has ever seen. (Off topic I know, sorry :) )

The real monopolies,oil companies,electric companies,ect.,are bleeding people dry,and she's worried about an online ad company? The faces change,but the song remains the same.

The one thing to keep in mind about Obama is that he is an amazing politician. He is in no way a statesman, let alone the savior people and the media made him out to be. He said whatever was expedient to getting him elect and then reneged on nearly all his promises.

BTW how the hell does someone sign into law new spending over 1 trillion in under 60 days of being in office?! Obama may end up being one of the worst presidents America has ever seen. (Off topic I know, sorry :) )

OT - Now I read he is going to unveil his budget Thursday that will lower the ND to 533 mil by 2013. I'd like to see how this is going to work.

How could they be considered a monopoly? I can use any search tool I want, but I use google because it works the best. Isn't a monopoly when you have only one choice?

It does what I need, and it's free. If that's what a monopoly is, there should be more of them.

How could they be considered a monopoly? I can use any search tool I want, but I use google because it works the best. Isn't a monopoly when you have only one choice?

It does what I need, and it's free. If that's what a monopoly is, there should be more of them.

Ads...not search. I think they own something like 70% of internet advertising. Least thats what it jumped to after they bought DoubleClick. That was the reason there was so much fuss over the Google-Yahoo advertising deal awhile back as well.

You talk so much about politics but it seems you don't know how politicians have to act to get anywhere? Surprise a politician lied/made himself out to be better than he really is omg the world is ending!

Now that the normal wiretap off topic politics talk is handled, google is hardly a monopoly the lawyer is just seeking fame.

You talk so much about politics but it seems you don't know how politicians have to act to get anywhere? Surprise a politician lied/made himself out to be better than he really is omg the world is ending!

Now that the normal wiretap off topic politics talk is handled, google is hardly a monopoly the lawyer is just seeking fame.
You obviously missed my point.. that was my point. :p

This Person must have sand in her Shorts, I mean Come On, lady take a Pill. Google has no more of Monopoly on Ad Content, then Sony does with its BLUE Ray Content.
As was Posted in other Comments, Choice is more Powerfull than she Gives Credit for.

My intuition tells me that google is not a monopoly in the online ad market, but to all those that are confidently asserting that it certainly isn't, do you say this with prior knowledge of their marketshare?

Back