antique mb that are still running --

JSF35rhino

[H]ard|Gawd
with all the talk on the fourm about brand new mb's behaving badly . i thought i would see how many old mb's from the early to mid 90's are still working.

i have an old intel with a 486 dx 33mhz that still works it's a dual cpu server with of all things a sis chipset . it was made in 1989 . i've got one even older server set up with dx-25mhz cpu's on quad set up--but it's "lost " in my storage rooms somewhere--lol i think it's from the early 80's though --it may have been more like 15mhz or even 7mhz--lol--i can't recall. i'll bet though if it isn't smashed or dammaged--when i find it--it will still work.

a windows 95 msi intel 440 bx with a pentium 266 --still runs fine . a oem sis with a socket 7 -k62-333 which i used for deep freezer test --it was froze to -50F dozens of times . these were made in the mid 90's --i can't recall the exact date i got these but they shipped with win 95--which was later swapped for win-98/2000 . they still see some use to this day. the socket 7 i'm not sure who made the mb-- i think it is a asus oem --but it could be anybody . it has a gold pcb . although back in those days even matsonic used a gold pcb.

one old matsonic with socket 370/ slot 1 mb --via 694a or b chipset --i think i got this mb off e-bay in 1998 or 1999 can't recall for sure --but it has a celeron 400a . it was also used in the freezer tests . --the dammned thing still works . --none of these mb's has had any burst caps or anything replaced . and some of them were the dirt cheap mb's of the day .

ironically all of the more powerful cpu's/mb's from later cpu-era are kaput- my first high powered system a qvs-amd chipset slot one with a 500mhz althon --died a early death--and at the time--good riddence--lol
my asus kt-266a, epox -8k7a , gigabyte 845p all worked well but died early due to faulty/leaky caps. during the era of everybosy's got bad caps -- i didn't buy or build many systems with the affected caps. i had a aopen 875p and a abit ic-7g and there still running .

my current systems --asus a8n-sli delux / asrock -775 dual vista / gigabyte s-3 are running well . the asus being rev one--it's getting old- remember back when they were like $250?-but still runs well and super stable overclocked with a 144 opty . the asrock and the gigabyte are too new to tell if there going to be around come 2010. so far so good though.

:cool:

I have an 8088 with Hercules Monochrome graphics around here somewhere. The video card was literally longer than a modern 8800GTX. I should see if I can find it and if it powers up still :). It's got to be 20 years old now.

OEM Dell box from 1998 (Dimension R400) still running (it's been on for almost two years continuous now I think as my router).

Intel D815 S370 mobo still going.

I don't really have trouble with components failing, TBH. Just take care of them :)

I've got an Intel PR440FX (Providence) dual Pentium Pro motherboard with two Pentium Pro 180MHz CPU's on it overclocked to 200MHz. This board is circa 1995 or 1996 and it still works today.

All still running:
DELL Pentium Pro @200MHz 24/7 :)
DELL R400 - Pentium II at 400MHz (type 1 Slot) 24/7 :)
Abit BX6r2 with 400MHz Celeron (type 1 Slot) 24/7 :eek:

I got a couple old machines that still run fine....
Sun SparcStation 20 with a 50Mhz processor, 512MB of ram and a 4.5GB HD

Compaq Proliant 1500: Dual 133Mhz Pentiums, 512MB ECC Dimms, 1.2Gb SCSI HD

Compaq Proliant 6000: Quad Pentium pro 200Mhz, 512MB ECC Dimms, 3x 750Watt PSU, 3x 9.1GB SCSI HD

Just pretend that E-machines isn't there
tongue.gif
It had two half height 73GB SCSI drives in raid 0 jammed in it, and was a squid proxy for a while at lan parties
servers.jpg

I have some fairly old hardware that still works.

Sony = Pentium 200MHz, 1.3GB harddrive, 128MB RAM. My dad bought it back in 1996 for about $2000, and it still runs.

Compaq = Celeron 300MHz, 10GB + 20GB harddrives, 256MB RAM. This is my dad's main PC right now, it was replaced with a new HP slimline PC.

My custom PC that I'm using right now, is pretty old to. The specs are in my sig.

There are a few more P2's I have but I can't remember the specs.

The good ones never die, just run and run and run. They are so quite you don't even hear them with a few OC newer boxes runing..... :eek: :eek:

NukeULater said:
I have some fairly old hardware that still works.

Sony = Pentium 200MHz, 1.3GB harddrive, 128MB RAM. My dad bought it back in 1996 for about $2000, and it still runs.

Compaq = Celeron 300MHz, 10GB + 20GB harddrives, 256MB RAM. This is my dad's main PC right now, it was replaced with a new HP slimline PC.

My custom PC that I'm using right now, is pretty old to. The specs are in my sig.

There are a few more P2's I have but I can't remember the specs.
If there was anyone I've seen in a while that needs a new system, it is you lol

Build a Core2 Duo E6600 system with an 8800GTX and 2GB of ram, along with 2 74GB raptors in RAID0, and then crap your pants realizing how much faster it will be than your current system
tongue.gif

My Compaq Presario 486DX266 with 32MB Ram still runs fine. That was the last computer that stayed in one piece. Unfortunatley I missed the Pentium 1/2 era, sorta lost interest in computers for a while (I think I found girls at that point). Got back into it with a PIII 500 but started swapping things out and never kept a complete system together. I think I have a voodoo 5 around somewhere, that was a cool piece of hardware when it came out, dual GPU!

Apple ][+ and Apple IIc. 48K and 128K RAM respectively. Still runs fine.

Robert

my commodore 64c still runs great, and i still play microprose stealfighter, gunship (my all-time favorite game) and temple of asphai. but i dont know what motherboard that is. i have an abit bh6 (first motherboard with overclocking options in bios, probably circa 1997) that i tested a old celly in last month, so with some sdram and an ancient intel 740 pci graphics card, it worked.

I have about 40 compaq deskpro 4000s still running. Users dont complain to much either, even though their neighbors have dell precision 690s. Its like 15x the processing power of the old deskpro 4000s.

I just picked up a compaq 5000 (socket 370-366cele w/64mb & 6gb) saw that it was a smokers computer, threw out all the internal comonets except for the mobo, cleaned the mobo with a toothbrush and soapy water, put on a 600p3, 128ram 15gb hd and a dvdRw- and now have a router, linux box,etc..etc. Not bad for using leftover spare parts.

Not surprising that the older stuff is still running, a lot of those systems draw a lot less power than newer ones and the load on the VRM's etc is lower, hence they usually run quite a long time. The only thing you really need to look out for on those older systems is the electrolyte drying out in the caps and even then a simple recap usually brings things back to spec.

The only problem i am having on the deskpro 4000's is dead cmos batteries every once in a while.

Back