Antigua Could Hit U.S. with Copyright-Free Downloads

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
David versus Goliath is playing out again on the tiny island nation of Antigua located in the Caribbean. The nation of 70k will inform the World Trade Organization on Monday whether or not they will allow movie downloads without the protection of the U.S. copyright in retaliation for online gambling bans by the U.S. A good movie to download first would be Pirates of the Caribbean. :D

Antigua won the right to hit back with trade sanctions and - with little hope of persuading Washington by threatening to block U.S. imports to the nation of 70,000 - it was given permission to use intellectual property instead.

Why is the RIAA/MPAA buying undersea equipment and a submarine? Oh, that's not for cable repairs, is it.

I have a feeling a bunch of Servers will be moved to Antigua in the near future.:D

Antigua has an extradition treaty with the US so someone is going to get extradited from there to here for breaking US law....lol...I kid, I kid. ;)

Random fact: The highest point on Antigua is Mount Obama!

Antigua has an extradition treaty with the US so someone is going to get extradited from there to here for breaking US law....lol...I kid, I kid. ;)

I actually spent a summer teaching in Antigua...Fun true story:

In the capital, St. John, every day I was through there right in front of the police station I guy would set up his SUV in the morning and pack up in the evening. One day I took a closer look to see what he was hawking....turns out his SUV's back was packed with (obviously) bootleg CDs and DVDs. And he was selling them right in front of the police....and no one cared.

In the capital, St. John, every day I was through there right in front of the police station I guy would set up his SUV in the morning and pack up in the evening. One day I took a closer look to see what he was hawking....turns out his SUV's back was packed with (obviously) bootleg CDs and DVDs. And he was selling them right in front of the police....and no one cared.
Makes one one wonder why they'd ever agree to make such a treaty with the US then. Given they feel this way about it...lol.

I'm not saying the two are related, just saying they seem to not give a shit so why submit to it.

World Trade Organization said it was all cool as long as the US keeps there ban on off shore gambling
if the US lifts the ban then they have to stop

I wonder when RIAA/MPAA does just say F it and buys a private army to go around blowing servers up? Oh wait, they already have an army....ours.

again this whole thing is over Antigua allowing off shore internet gambling
btw Antigua is part of the British Common Wealth this could get fun to watch

Just a thought but imagine we went after offshore tax havens with the same ferocity as offshore gambling? Maybe I'm just crazy :p

Just a thought but imagine we went after offshore tax havens with the same ferocity as offshore gambling? Maybe I'm just crazy :p

HAH never happen 90% of congress uses them
they only went after off shore gaming because the US gaming lobby threw stupid sums money at congress

Well considering the piracy powerhouses that are China and Russia I seriously doubt the tiny nation of Antigua is going to really put much of a scratch into the illegal movie/music market

Isn't Antigua where yu buy CloneCD, CloneDVD, etc. from since they got kicked out of the EU?

Back