Anti-virus: Avast vs. AVG...

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi guys,

I'm just setting up a home machine and am thinking of installing either Avast of AVG as my anti-virus, as opposed to Norton, McAfee et al.

Does anyone here use either of these? Which one is better or are they much the same?

Any help appreciated.

I use Avast now, I used to use AVG but it was not finding everything that Avast does.

Mr_Torch said:
I use Avast now, I used to use AVG but it was not finding everything that Avast does.

QFT. I install avast on all my clients pc's and my own. Never had a problem. Works great..costs nothing.

AVG has slipped in detection rates....I clean up machines that have AVG, and often find problems AVG never picked up. For a while it's only been "middle of the back" average at av-comparatives.org

Avast has decent detection rates, but from my experience, and the complaints of many people I've installed in on their PCs...it's a bit "heavier" than other AV products. I've noticed bootup/login times are much longer, I've heard that same complaint many times, so I don't install it on freebies I do anymore.

For freebies....

Anti-Vir is lighter, and stronger in detection.

CA eTrust from Microsoft is also much lighter, and still decent in detection.

YeOldeStonecat said:
AVG has slipped in detection rates....I clean up machines that have AVG, and often find problems AVG never picked up. For a while it's only been "middle of the back" average at av-comparatives.org

Avast has decent detection rates, but from my experience, and the complaints of many people I've installed in on their PCs...it's a bit "heavier" than other AV products. I've noticed bootup/login times are much longer, I've heard that same complaint many times, so I don't install it on freebies I do anymore.

For freebies....

Anti-Vir is lighter, and stronger in detection.

CA eTrust from Microsoft is also much lighter, and still decent in detection.

Ah balls...

Just installed Avast...ah well..will see how it goes. If I have any problems I will give Anti-Vir a go.

NOD32 is great .. i've been using for 3 years now and no issues

NOD32 is a good AV program. I use it on client machines all the time.

But it's not freeware I dont think.

Raystream said:
How does NOD32 compare to the rest of those listed?

Miles above them...I consider it in all time top two....along with Kapersky. NOD32 is a whisker lighter though. Kapersky used to be very heavy in older versions, their recent one is quite light.

You need to purchase the above two though.

Between AVG and Avast I like Avast better. But you'll get a ton of differing opinions i'm sure. :p

I use Avast on one PC and Anti-Vir (also freeware, as mentioned before) on the others.

Both seem pretty easy to use, and both have autmatic updates. Anti-Vir has been upated in the past year to be more user-friendly (automaitc updates have gotten much better).

Avast seems a tad easier to use, but Anti-Vir has a better detection rate (this info was from a test done over a year ago by a member at Anandtech). Both are very good pieces of freeware, you should be fine going with either one (though I recommend Anti-Vir for PC-savvy people).

I had installation issues with AVG, so i never tried it.

loved AVG ... but three times in one week I had to clean up things by hand, registry, file deletion and such. It never finished the job! Everything else about AVG was excellent, light load, didn't slow boot-up times, easy interface, non-intrusive. deng it, I miss it

NOD32 user from now on

Back