Anti-virus: Avast vs. AVG...

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Syphon Filter, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter 2[H]4U

Hi guys,

I'm just setting up a home machine and am thinking of installing either Avast of AVG as my anti-virus, as opposed to Norton, McAfee et al.

Does anyone here use either of these? Which one is better or are they much the same?

Any help appreciated.

2. Mr_Torch

Mr_Torch n00b

I use Avast now, I used to use AVG but it was not finding everything that Avast does.

3. Heliocentrical

Heliocentrical 2[H]4U

QFT. I install avast on all my clients pc's and my own. Never had a problem. Works great..costs nothing.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

AVG has slipped in detection rates....I clean up machines that have AVG, and often find problems AVG never picked up. For a while it's only been "middle of the back" average at av-comparatives.org

Avast has decent detection rates, but from my experience, and the complaints of many people I've installed in on their PCs...it's a bit "heavier" than other AV products. I've noticed bootup/login times are much longer, I've heard that same complaint many times, so I don't install it on freebies I do anymore.

For freebies....

Anti-Vir is lighter, and stronger in detection.

CA eTrust from Microsoft is also much lighter, and still decent in detection.

5. Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter 2[H]4U

Ah balls...

Just installed Avast...ah well..will see how it goes. If I have any problems I will give Anti-Vir a go.

6. Raystream

Raystream Limp Gawd

How does NOD32 compare to the rest of those listed?

7. mxp

mxp n00b

NOD32 is great .. i've been using for 3 years now and no issues

8. Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter 2[H]4U

NOD32 is a good AV program. I use it on client machines all the time.

But it's not freeware I dont think.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

Miles above them...I consider it in all time top two....along with Kapersky. NOD32 is a whisker lighter though. Kapersky used to be very heavy in older versions, their recent one is quite light.

You need to purchase the above two though.

10. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

Between AVG and Avast I like Avast better. But you'll get a ton of differing opinions i'm sure. :p

11. Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows 2[H]4U

I use avast, I would run w/o an antivirus though if I were only one using the comp. ;o)

12. Jawadali

Jawadali [H]ard|Gawd

I use Avast on one PC and Anti-Vir (also freeware, as mentioned before) on the others.

Both seem pretty easy to use, and both have autmatic updates. Anti-Vir has been upated in the past year to be more user-friendly (automaitc updates have gotten much better).

Avast seems a tad easier to use, but Anti-Vir has a better detection rate (this info was from a test done over a year ago by a member at Anandtech). Both are very good pieces of freeware, you should be fine going with either one (though I recommend Anti-Vir for PC-savvy people).

I had installation issues with AVG, so i never tried it.

13. -(Xyphox)-

-(Xyphox)- [H]ardness Supreme

Use Nod32 at Work
    AVG at Home

14. MrkXCeL

MrkXCeL [H]ard|Gawd

loved AVG ... but three times in one week I had to clean up things by hand, registry, file deletion and such. It never finished the job! Everything else about AVG was excellent, light load, didn't slow boot-up times, easy interface, non-intrusive. deng it, I miss it

NOD32 user from now on