Anti Virus and Firewall

C McCarter

Limp Gawd
Hi

Currently I am running NOD32 and I was wondering if I should switch to MSE? Also what program is best for a firewall, spamfilter, etc...Thanks

No real reason to swap from NOD32 to MSE really. Of course, if your subscription runs out, there's no reason to pay for an AV anymore either. As for firewalls, spamfilters, etc, kind of need more info.

What OS are you running?
32 or 64 bit?

I don't see the need for a software firewall anymore. Get a decent router for $20 and set it up for NAT and SPI, you'll be fine. Use a decent anti-malware program like Malwarebytes or Superantispyware and perhaps a behavior blocker like Prevx 3 or Threatfire (Mamutu if you're 32 bit) and enjoy.

No real reason to swap from NOD32 to MSE really. Of course, if your subscription runs out, there's no reason to pay for an AV anymore either.

+1

MSE is awesome. There are countless people on this forum that can back that claim up too. Your AV/spyware/malware problem is solved there. But I mean if you don't have a problem with NOD32 and your subscription isn't up yet then just hold on to it for now (but definitely don't bother repurchasing it).

As for firewalls, you should be fine if you're using a router. I mean sure it's not the highest level of protection you can get, but it'll work just fine. After all, it's not like you're expecting people to randomly attack your machine.

If you're running Esets "ESS" product....which is the suite of AV/Firewall/Spamfilter....MSE does not compete with that, MSE is strictly an antivirus/antimalware program. So when your Eset license runs out....it's up to you if you want to continue having a software firewall and SPAM program combined with an AV or not. Personally I'm not a fan of 3rd party software firewalls.

If you're running Esets "NOD32" product...that's their basic antivirus program, MSE will compete with that. IMO MSE is great, when your Eset license runs out, give MSE a try, see how you like it.

I am running the ESS 3.0 I think. However, I think that it will not work with win7... I keep getting errors when I try to run ESET ESS.

Between MSE/Avira/Avast, superantispyware or malwarebytes, windows firewall, and a good NAT router, you're pretty much locked up tight.

No need for a third party firewall with Windows Firewall.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I am running the ESS 3.0 I think. However, I think that it will not work with win7... I keep getting errors when I try to run ESET ESS.

I use eset smart security and have win7 ultimate and it works flawlessly and has done since before win was rtm.

If you're already using a router, it usually serves as a good firewall. Otherwise, the built-in Windows Firewall also works well.

Hi

Currently I am running NOD32 and I was wondering if I should switch to MSE? Also what program is best for a firewall, spamfilter, etc...Thanks
Yes and Windows Firewall and the latest Outlook spam definition with spam settings on High.

/thread.

Back