Anti-Tamper Software Maker Denuvo Files Lawsuit against DRM Hacker Voksi

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
DRM hacker Voksi, leader of renowned cracking group REVOLT, has revealed he is being sued by Denovo for repeatedly circumventing the company’s anti-tamper software. “Police came yesterday and took the server pc and my personal PC. I had to go to the police afterwards and explain myself. “

Voksi explains that he contacted Denuvo looking for a "peaceful resolution" but Denuvo reportedly responded that the matter will be decided by Bulgarian prosecutors. Voksi writes the they will no longer be able provide cracks for Denuvo DRM. "Sadly, I won't be able to do what I did anymore. I did what I did for you guys and of course because bloated software in our games shouldn't be allowed at all. Maybe someone will continue my fight."

I'm not sure how far Denuvo can get with their lawsuit. As far as I know you can't be charged a crime for circumventing DRM.

oh the irony....
Denuvo exist because of such hackers. If such hackers never existed there would be no denuvo. Such hackers provide existential justification for denuvo. Just because denuvo are rubbish and cannot beat the hackers is moot.
Sure! We all know that games without DRM make no money and that is why noone makes them anymore. And those that don't sell well aren't shit, they are victims of evil hackers known as fuckmehowmuchlongerwillsuchbullshitexcusescontinue4chan.

Hopefully it doesn't screw his life over. I care more about movie DRM myself. Maybe he can get a job at Denuvo haha

Is this the same hacker that’s been trumpeting his success at cracking Denuvo on Reddit, etc? If so he likely did himself in. Had he stayed under the radar he may could have avoided this. Bummer :(

Steam DRM is too much by itself, anything beyond it is just pure evil.

I mean, yeah, as a general rule I am against DRM in all forms. But Steam has been fairly unintrusive for me for years, and the convenience of it definitely helps counter-balance the DRM aspect. So it's not so much that I am praising it, but it's acceptable to me.

Hopefully somebody else steps up to the plate and continues this work. I don't advocate for piracy of games and I buy everything I play, but I absolutely despise DRM. Unfortunately, I think the only thing that will make DRM go away is repeatedly proving it doesn't work.

I mean, yeah, as a general rule I am against DRM in all forms. But Steam has been fairly unintrusive for me for years, and the convenience of it definitely helps counter-balance the DRM aspect. So it's not so much that I am praising it, but it's acceptable to me.
The ticking bomb is what happens when Steam stops working. It's a nuclear extinction DRM event for all our Steam games at that point. Not to mention people losing access to all their games due to errors.

The ticking bomb is what happens when Steam stops working. It's a nuclear extinction DRM event for all our Steam games at that point. Not to mention people losing access to all their games due to errors.

Fair point - I suspect if that were to ever happen we would see unprecedented class action lawsuits.

I'm not sure how far Denuvo can get with their lawsuit. As far as I know you can't be charged a crime for circumventing DRM.
I am wondering about that as well; it sounds more like Denuvo gave evidence of Voksi committing copyright infringement to the prosecutors' office, and maybe donations he solicited make it count as commercial infringement?
This assumes he was uploading cracked copies of the exes, rather than a crack for the exe.

Of course they could be suing him as well, but then why tell him "decided by Bulgarian prosecutors"?

oh the irony....
Denuvo exist because of such hackers. If such hackers never existed there would be no denuvo. Such hackers provide existential justification for denuvo. Just because denuvo are rubbish and cannot beat the hackers is moot.

Completely wrong....

Denuvo exists because game companies don't want you sharing your game with your family and friends.

People like this make it so you only have to buy one copy of the game to play it on multiple computers at the same time.

This is imo another reason most companies have removed local/LAN multiplayer and force it all online now. They also no longer share the servers with the general public so we cannot create our own. They don't want you having fun the way you want to have fun unless it's how they say you can have fun.

What was the last FPS game that you could play that came with dedicated server software? Most recent I can think of is UT 2004. Although there may be something newer... What was the last RTS you could play over your local LAN without connecting to the internet? Starcraft before Blizzard re-released it? Again... I am sure there was something after that but I have no idea.

I get it... Games companies are out to make money. But at what point is too much DRM just to much?

I say fuck it... Go back to cartridge based consoles and spinwheel devices for DRM. Technically thats more effective.

These news and lawsuits are always the funniest thing for me to read. Entire existence of this company foiled by a teenager that's a better programmer than however many of them there are. Seems like they should hire him to make their shit actually work well, not sue him into oblivion.

Of course I hate DRM on games for exactly the reason Voksi cited in this incidence: the drm actually screws up the game. they should put on the box "minimum system requirements are increased due to shitty drm that uses up more cpu and more ram because drm programmers are tools. also will randomly cause other hardware and software problems because we have no QC process and just release a patch on launch day anyway. heck consider everything in beta with rolling updates."

last reported by tech sites , some hackers found out that there is no diff on performance between Denuvo and non-Denuvo for the recent games. so whats the follow up news now?

Completely wrong....

Denuvo exists because game companies don't want you sharing your game with your family and friends.

People like this make it so you only have to buy one copy of the game to play it on multiple computers at the same time.

This is imo another reason most companies have removed local/LAN multiplayer and force it all online now. They also no longer share the servers with the general public so we cannot create our own. They don't want you having fun the way you want to have fun unless it's how they say you can have fun.

What was the last FPS game that you could play that came with dedicated server software? Most recent I can think of is UT 2004. Although there may be something newer... What was the last RTS you could play over your local LAN without connecting to the internet? Starcraft before Blizzard re-released it? Again... I am sure there was something after that but I have no idea.

I get it... Games companies are out to make money. But at what point is too much DRM just to much?

I say fuck it... Go back to cartridge based consoles and spinwheel devices for DRM. Technically thats more effective.
Remember when you could spawn copies on friends computers of StarCraft?

Can you imagine all the lost sales today lol

Remember when you could spawn copies on friends computers of StarCraft?
Yeah I do, and it's fucking annoying that we can't do that kind of shit anymore. LANParties are a bitch to have now cuz games rarely have offline/LAN support these days, we all saw dedicated servers going the way of the dodo, and a lot of games limit co-op to 4 players max (Croteam continues to laugh at this nonsense). With my crew we still have a large library of old greats that get busted out at LANParties, while a lot of newer games don't see use cuz of their annoying-ass multiplayer setups and reliance on always-on connections. Good luck trying to do completely offline LAN StarCraft 2 multiplayer. Diablo 3 offline single- or multiplayer? You can do it on console ironically, but not on PC. With today's games, you can't do shit like installing the same copy of UT2K4 or Halo 1 to multiple computers just for LAN usage. What if you are the kind of person that "acquires" games for free? Still won't help you if the game doesn't have multiplayer LAN support to begin with. Even modern games that claim to have offline/LAN support make you jump through hoops or impose certain restrictions. Wanna do 3-player cross-system LAN co-op in Gears of War 4's Horde mode? Well you can do split-screen campaign on PC, but not Horde mode. So that means 2 of you have to be on the XB1. But wait, on XB1 both of you are REQUIRED to have an Xbox Live Gold subscriptions just to even access Horde mode! Multi-PC multiplayer LAN I think is fine (haven't tried it), though of course everyone needs their own copy of the game. No my friends, we have come a long way from StarCraft spawn copies. A long way indeed. I would really like to see less DRM usage and more true offline and LAN support for games. C'mon all you devs, release your games on GOG.com. Fuck Steam and EA Origin and uPlay and Windows Store and all that other crap. GOG should be the premier storefront for PC games.

Is this the same hacker that’s been trumpeting his success at cracking Denuvo on Reddit, etc? If so he likely did himself in. Had he stayed under the radar he may could have avoided this. Bummer :(

He posted a video tutorial on how to crack Denuvo and has always been pretty public about things, he's well-known on a certain CS forum. Probably doesn't help REVOLT had all their files on a completely unsecured FTP server - surprised it took this long.

Yep. Dumb 21 year old Bulgarian stain. Posted FUD claiming that "Denuvo causes high CPU in Assassins Creed!" with no proof or verifiable testing, and the window lickers on crackwatch lapped it up. The reality was Assassins Creed just uses a lot of CPU. And the fact is that no Denuvo-protected game has ever suddenly exhibited any extra CPU or FPS performance on the occasions that a publisher re-released the game without denuvo and the title was re-benched.

The pirates have been trying to create Denuvo FUD since the beginning. First it was "Denuvo kills SSDs"! which was debunked, and then high-CPU narrative. "Denuvo increases loadtimes!" was also debunked.

You'll see pirates get the most upset when a denuvo game stays uncracked for a while - Assassins Creed had em crying in corners and locking themselves in bathrooms because AC took 100 days.

Last edited:
last reported by tech sites , some hackers found out that there is no diff on performance between Denuvo and non-Denuvo for the recent games. so whats the follow up news now?
The follow-up is crickets, because removing Denuvo doesn't change a game's performance, pirates are cowards and won't admit they're wrong. If it did change performance, then reddit would be blowing up from hysteria with the damning and verifiable benchmarks/video.

It would be easy for anyone to do. Benchmark a denuvo game, then if/when denuvo is patched out, re-bench (ensure same GPU driver etc). Post the results for all to see. But it just never materializes.

Last edited:
People just testing games they dont haw to pay for product who is not in there language, works slow or dont work . plus many anti consumer practices to make more money. drm is cancer.

Welp, I guess they could go back and kick it old school. Just as effective, after all...

209678-space-quest-iv-roger-wilco-and-the-time-rippers-amiga-screenshot.png

Like others have said, I am surprised it took this long. After seeing him post a full video tutorial in public, the only thought I had was "that was cool to watch, but it is like he asking to get sued or arrested."

Yep. Dumb 21 year old Bulgarian stain. Posted FUD claiming that "Denuvo causes high CPU in Assassins Creed!" with no proof or verifiable testing, and the window lickers on crackwatch lapped it up. The reality was Assassins Creed just uses a lot of CPU. And the fact is that no Denuvo-protected game has ever suddenly exhibited any extra CPU or FPS performance on the occasions that a publisher re-released the game without denuvo and the title was re-benched.

The pirates have been trying to create Denuvo FUD since the beginning. First it was "Denuvo kills SSDs"! which was debunked, and then high-CPU narrative. "Denuvo increases loadtimes!" was also debunked.

You'll see pirates get the most upset when a denuvo game stays uncracked for a while - Assassins Creed had em crying in corners and locking themselves in bathrooms because AC took 100 days.

As far as I know it was only removed from one or two games early on and at least in one case the developer refused to confirm whether it was fully removed or just circumvented like the cracks have done which would still include any performance penalty. On the other hand we have had a couple devs state that denuvo was causing performance issues, so even if it has been completely removed from a couple games(which we don't know) and performance wasn't improved we still know for a fact that at least some versions have caused performance issues.

Beyond that there's also other issues like how it can prevent modding or using simple little utilities like x360ce, not to mention that there's been several instances where the denuvo servers for a game went down preventing people from playing the game they payed for until the issue was fixed which isn't a good sign for future ability to play. The online checks are also much more frequent than other online drm checks(like Steam) which can be a problem for people with spotty internet service.

As a consumer I have to deal with all this annoying bullshit that the pirates don't, it does jack shit positive for me, still doesn't prevent piracy, and I don't really know what other problems it could be causing due to the nature of drm *cough*securom rootkit*cough*. Your continued insistence that only pirates dislike drm is both offensive and ignorant but more importantly it clearly demonstrates your extreme bias.

The follow-up is crickets, because removing Denuvo doesn't change a game's performance, pirates are cowards and won't admit they're wrong. If it did change performance, then reddit would be blowing up from hysteria with the damning and verifiable benchmarks/video.

If if if...

I know for a fact that when id finally removed Denuvo from Doom the game suddenly started booting like a minute faster. It didn't have any other major effect beyond that. You seem a little too defensive.

It would be easy for anyone to do. Benchmark a denuvo game, then if/when denuvo is patched out, re-bench (ensure same GPU driver etc). Post the results for all to see. But it just never materializes.

Keep in mind the only example of denuvo being totally stripped is final fantasy which they fucked up the demo/trial non denuvo version could be used on the full version. This example did infact show that denuvo puts a moderate toll on system resources.

All the other denuvo cracks dont strip the protection rather it just responds with the anticipated answers allowing the game to run.

Keep in mind the only example of denuvo being totally stripped is final fantasy which they fucked up the demo/trial non denuvo version could be used on the full version. This example did infact show that denuvo puts a moderate toll on system resources.

Your understanding has some gaps here. The "example" you're referring to was someone that made a deceptive video trying to show the non-denuvo (demo) executable performed better. The deception was in running the denuvo (full version) executable first, which cached game asset files in windows. The guy then immediately ran the demo (non denuvo) executable without bothering to reboot first so that each test was done from the same baseline. The comparison was a joke from the get-go because the game asset loading that the video was trying to claim denuvo slows down would have nothing to do with how denuvo even works.

All the other denuvo cracks dont strip the protection rather it just responds with the anticipated answers allowing the game to run.

I wasn't referring to cracked executables when I said denuvo-free executables benchmark exactly the same. I'm talking about games with denuvo that were cracked and the developer chose to re-issue a denuvo-free executable via Steam/Origin update. There's a decent list of these, they all benchmark exactly the same without denuvo, except in one case where an inexperienced developer implemented the protection improperly and admitted it.

Reactions: nimer
like this
My (admittedly) limited understanding of Denuvo is it's a VM implementing it's own machine code. I don't see how that could be faster?

Now I don't know about how noticeable that'd be... I'd imagine that depends on how badly the devs implement it, but something tells me a benchmark would show a difference?

Back