anti-spam server software (or appliance)

versello

2[H]4U
Anybody have any anti-spam server software reccomendations? Windows or appliance-based preferred...

I have been playing around with Endian to tag spam on our pop3 accounts at our campus here and then Thunderbird reads the tag and sends automatically to the junk folder and junk folder is set to delete itself every 5 days.. it really been helping in not having to wade thru the hundreds upon hundreds of spam emails at our one building that we are testing it on ..plus its free (just need a spare computer laying around to run it)

[F]old|[H]ard

I have a client who has 50 employees and receives 30000 emails per day. 99% is spam. They are the worst per capita I have ever seen. We have tried several different products including: GFI, Antigen, Symantec, third party services, and Barracuda.

The Barracuda solution whole heartedly gets my vote. The ...300 machine supports active directory lookups and automatic user quarantine set up. This one company is kind of our spam filter testing ground and Barracuda is the only thing that has really held up against the recent surge of spam.

30k e-mails a day with 50 users? damn! how much does this cost? I have about 4000 users.

edit: nm, they conveniently have prices on their website... woohoo!

About a month ago, I installed ORF Anti-Spam on my office Exchange Server ( http://www.vamsoft.com/ ) . This product only costs $198.00, and so far I've been very impressed. I went ahead and licensed it for my office, and I've installed it at 4 client sites so far, and will install it on another 4 or 5 in the coming month. It's very effective, very customizable, and doesn't hog a lot of system resources ( its processes use about 16mb). One of the clients also around 1000 of e-mails per day (legit), and was being hammered by thousands of spam messages. This product catches 99% of it, and IMF catches the rest. It's a winner IMO.

I work for a managed hosting company, and we currently use the Barracuda for our spam service. I don't know how well it works but from the lack of a pile of support tickets and the number of messages we have running threw them they appears to be working alright.

I'm going to be trying out OpenBSDs spamd when I get the server I'm working on setup, see how that works out.

Also, the university I'm attending is using Ironmail, and it hasn't gotten a great review from most of the people I have talked to, including students and faculty. It takes about an hour for any mail to get threw. After a recent hardware upgrade, more spam started getting threw, since before SMTP connections were timing out stopping some of the spam.

Thanks for all the reccomendations. Right now I'm engaging with Barracuda (looking at the model 400)... I've gotten an awesome quote from a reseller.

Any other reccomendations would be great. Keep it coming!

We use Barracuda as well for a local government setup. When we decided to go with the barracuda, we also decided to move the first leg of our spam filtering off site to a third party so that in the event that our internet connection or mail servers were to crap out due to some act of god, any email being sent to us will be cached on the barracuda servers several miles away until communication with our Exchange servers could be regained. Our email gets cleaned a few times before it gets to the end user. First the emails hit the barracuda spam filters which are off site on another network as I mentioned earlier. Then if the email is said to be legit by the barracuda, our network gateway/firewall appliance scans the email for virus/spam and has caught several that the barracuda let through. After that the NOD32 antivirus software on the Exchange server itself with the XMON module for Exchange, does the final scan on the emails.

FYI just in case anyone here hasn't setup this type of thing before, one of the most effective methods I've used to cut down on spam is to only allow SMTP incoming connections from our barracuda servers. I use a firewall policy to set this up and it has cut down on spam a great deal along with the added wear on the Exchange server saved. Just set the MX record to point to your spam filter and not the mail server itself and setup a policy on your firewall to only allow incomming SMTP connections from your spam filter to your mail server only.

Have any of you guys used the barracuda outlook plugin that allows the end user to tag messages as spam or legit? I haven't had very good success with the plugin due to the bugginess of the software.

Back