Anti-gone to crap thread ....

BrainEater

[H]ard|Gawd
:D

/me pokes Agent 420..

Here yah go.This is my current project. ;

This is the bench computer I'm putting together.

P3 Katmai/512 Mb ram.......

Matrix Orbital 22x series
USB Instruments DS1M12 "stingray" digital ocilloscope/DMM/logger/etc
Omron K3TL series digital themometer/controller.....

-------------------------

It'll be a full function multimeter/'scope .255 channels of 1-wire capability.Process control capabilty....full PWM capability...

bbench.jpg

:p

I'll be putting a fully metered power supply in there too.....

/me pokes Agent 420..

I'll be putting a fully metered power supply in there too.....

Cool beans. I use kernel software monitoring with an led sign readout for my system [aka Colossus] , but always thought it would be cool to monitor the current of the psu supply rails somehow.

colossus1vc8.jpg

colossus0rl9.jpg

Small crappy wmv video of sign in action (700k) from my dsc.;

Awesome.

I've always liked that rig :D

You should look into Dallas 1-wire stuff.While the matrix orbital displays do it natively , they are fairly simple to run run from a serial port too...

Here's a shot of my 'routerofdoom' :

core93.jpg

That's wired with 8 channels of temperature monitoring (the small red/yellow/black lines) , and im sposed to put in pwm fans too , but I havn't gotten around to it yet.

In case yer curious :

The 'routerofdoom' is a p3 coppermine 800 w/ 512 ram , 3x Intel pro 1000's and 2x Dlink dwl-g520's........It's been modded to fit into an old corebuilder2500 chassis (2u).....it runs pfsense 1.2 rc4.

---------------

I'm not sure if there is such an animal as a 1-wire DC current shunt , but I'll check.

Awesome.

I've always liked that rig :D

I'm not sure if there is such an animal as a 1-wire DC current shunt , but I'll check.

Thx :) Still going strong. But it's hard to bieleve that the $350 ATI X850 is so outdated already... Went to play Bioshock and was denied because it's not shader 3.0 compliant, and it's hard to find a decent agp vid card these days. I think an entire upgrade is in order if only to migrate to PCIe.

The problem with current monitoring has always been locating affordable low resistance shunts capable of the amperage involved to avoid voltage drops and potential regulator problems in the psu. A recent thought was to further investigate some new silicon from (I think from ST) that measures current via magnetic fields rather than resistance. One day...

The problem with current monitoring has always been locating affordable low resistance shunts capable of the amperage involved to avoid voltage drops and potential regulator problems in the psu. A recent thought was to further investigate some new silicon from (I think from ST) that measures current via magnetic fields rather than resistance. One day...

So true... I was trying to make an amperage output display to measure the amperage going through my PCIe 6pin cable, and damn, I forget the spec on the shunt (I believe it was a 100a with a very low resistance, but I can't find it right now), but it dumped my 12v line down to 11.53v and the system wouldn't post :mad:.

You can use something like a 0.01 ohm shunt. Then amplify the voltage across it if needed using an INA168NA shunt resistor amplifier (a resistor to ground determines the gain).

Ok.....

Here's some 1-wire devices that just might fit the bill :

Maxim 1 wire

Now they are designed for battery monitoring , but they might do what we want.

I'm pretty sure MO displays will need a plugin written to run these , but once again , serial access isnt an issue.....

I don't think those will work - they won't handle the current.

I was mistaken about the source earlier... I am thinking of experiementing with these Hall Effect Current Sensors from Allegro. The benefit of the Hall design is no shunt, meaning nearly no resistance and voltage drop and high current capability. The output is an analog voltage signal which can probably be measured with a variety of adc devices, including those built in to many ucontrollers.

I don't think those will work - they won't handle the current.

I was mistaken about the source earlier... I am thinking of experiementing with these Hall Effect Current Sensors from Allegro. The benefit of the Hall design is no shunt, meaning nearly no resistance and voltage drop and high current capability. The output is an analog voltage signal which can probably be measured with a variety of adc devices, including those built in to many ucontrollers.

The Allegro ACS75x parts are good parts; I've used them in several applications now.

Only thing is, don't expect to use the 200A current sensor unless you're getting a board made with stupidly thick (ie, 6oz-10oz) copper. :D

Back