Anti freeze and sub 0 temps in water loop?

My friend with limited knowledge around water cooling want to do a crazy build which I'm not sure I would recommend.

What could be the dangers and issues with this setup: 6x GPU's (!) in a mining setup, 1x random CPU and everything under water blocks. He wants to put everything in one loop which is pretty nuts. I told him put everything in at least two loops. But the most crazy thing is he wants to run everything in copper pipes OUTSIDE and cool everything passively in -30 degrees C cold... I don't know if this is such a good idea. Any one with knowledge around low temperatures and radiators/coolant?

he wants to put glycol (anti freeze) in the loop to prevent freezing. Even if this is possible corrosion might be a huge problem right? Why isn't corrosion a problem in cars, but in water loops running on glycol or anti-freeze?

As far as I know the primary reason noone uses antifreeze in a PC watercooling loop is efficiency - pure water is a better conductor of heat, and your average PC doesn't need to meet temperature extremes like a car does. No idea if it causes corrosion in a loop.

In any event I think condensation will be a far larger problem than corrosion. If he's able to get the fluid in his loop below 0 he'll need to read up on phase change cooling and all the insulating that needs to be done to protect components.

Is condensation an issue (or even possible) if the whole thing is outside in open air? Assuming that the air/ambient temperature is lower than anything else, I mean.

Though I would think there are plenty of other potential problems with it being outside, and I guess it depends on if it's in a case or not.

Is condensation an issue (or even possible) if the whole thing is outside in open air? Assuming that the air/ambient temperature is lower than anything else, I mean.

Though I would think there are plenty of other potential problems with it being outside, and I guess it depends on if it's in a case or not.

Any time you cool below ambient, you have a condensation risk.

If he's putting the entire setup (blocks, tubing, pumps, rads, etc) ALL outdoors in -30C temps, he should be OK as long as the coolant doesn't freeze. I'd be concerned with pump bearings and such at those temps, and I'd worry about all the plastics becoming brittle and cracking from vibrations over time.

he wants to put glycol (anti freeze) in the loop to prevent freezing. Even if this is possible corrosion might be a huge problem right? Why isn't corrosion a problem in cars, but in water loops running on glycol or anti-freeze?

Depending on what antifreeze he uses, and what materials are used in the loop, he should be OK. Most WC materials (delrin, nylon, rubber o-rings, PVC, acrylics, copper, brass, and nickel) are all usually compatible with ethylene glycol. So it will usually PREVENT corrosion. Where you'll run into trouble is with mixed metals, particularly aluminum. So don't mix aluminum blocks and copper/brass radiators. Either make sure all the metal is aluminum, or make sure it's all copper/brass/nickel.

Car makers know exactly what metals and materials will be in contact with the coolant in their designs, and they choose an antifreeze that is compatible with their materials, and in fact helps prevent corrosion rather than cause it. They also specify specific ratios of antifreeze to water to control the concentrations. That's why cars don't have those problems. Home-brew watercooling guys often just slap parts together, fill it with UV-green colored liquid of some kind, and hope for the best.

Grab a bottle of 190 proof and mix accordingly.

Freezing+point+graph+with+eutectic.jpg

Of course! Then you get to drink what you don't put into the loop, as well as know exactly what to top it off with. I like this:
everclear_750__99198.1337200555.386.513.jpg
Everclear is a staple in my household - I use it to clean watch parts and remove TIM from processors and the bottom of waterblocks.

That being said, if you DO use everclear in your loop make sure none of your blocks are plexi (and obviously don't ever clean your plexi blocks with everclear or any other alcohol)!

Everclear is a staple in my household - I use it to clean watch parts and remove TIM from processors and the bottom of waterblocks.

That being said, if you DO use everclear in your loop make sure none of your blocks are plexi (and obviously don't ever clean your plexi blocks with everclear or any other alcohol)!
Indeed. Plexi (acrylic) + ethanol = crack.

Back