Anthem seasons are being dropped as BioWare pledges to 'reinvent' the game

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Maybe BioWare isn't shelving Anthem after all. It appears they are going to make some major changes to the game over the coming year. I wouldn't mind seeing them do this since the game has potential. Anyway, I'm going to the Great Salt Lake to grab a few loads of salt.

BioWare recommitted to the future of Anthem in an update posted today, in which general manager Casey Hudson confirmed that a major overhaul, which was first rumored in November 2019, is in fact in the works. But it's also still a long way off.

You can read the main story here. https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-seasons-are-being-dropped-as-bioware-pledges-to-reinvent-the-game/

Just saw this too. Would be nice, I enjoyed the game but it go bland really quick. Everyone just fast sneaking to ends to kill and loot and repeat. They need to have this in mind during design, combat and flight are fun and work with that more.

I worry though that it could be too late for such a thing. Maybe after the update it will be more like the E3 version. This one was kind of soulless IMO.

I've moved past this game already. Maybe if the update actually happens I'll see what others think and then decide if it's worth my time revisiting. Biggest disappointment of 2019 by far since I think the game has so much untapped potential. If they had just spent another year on testing and developing the gameplay systems it probably could have been great.

I don't see the point. People have moved on, hype trains rarely make return trips. Unless they do something so amazing that the bulk of my friends list starts playing, there is no way I will be taking a second look, regardless of reviews.

I enjoyed the beta, but I really don't need another grindy shooter. Destiny 2 is my current choice for that and I can't see myself picking up another one.

I don't see the point.

If you liked the core gameplay, that's the point. I stopped playing a month in or so because there wasn't much to do and the rewards were subpar but the gameplay was killer. I don't need hype to be excited about this since I already know I enjoyed it.

I don't see myself dropping D2 either, damn game owns me at this point.

It's a big gamble to stop seasonal content indefinitely while they try to overhaul the game. They really should have been making these changes in increments while new seasons released. Giving your users, who are already are upset with the lack of content, less content, while you promise more content, seems like a good way to lose the few fans you have.

The pessimist in me says that this is just a scam to stop wasting dev $$ on seasonal content that users have paid for but the dev has spent. Pretend you are working on something bigger for your game that is already doing poorly, then eventually shut down servers, release lackluster content, or just come up with some excuse why the overhaul could not be completed after milking everything you can out of the current base.

Maybe they are good people and just want to do right by their fanbase, but that doesn't sound like the current gaming industry.

I really liked the core game play, and the few strongholds they had were a blast, but there wasn't enough there, the game just fell short. There is a solid core and it is totally salvageable, Bioware hung themselves with this title it was too big for them I am somewhat surprised that EA is willing to shell out the money to revamp it though.

It had potential, but whatever they have the budget to do will be too little too late, just let it rest in pieces already.

It had potential, but whatever they have the budget to do will be too little too late, just let it rest in pieces already.
If Final Fantasy XIV was able to shutdown and relaunch with a degree of success I am sure Anthem can too.

Honestly I just wish they'd go and make a Mass Effect game. I don't want that series to be dead.

51xjk3DqJKL.jpg

It's not dead they just wrote it into a corner....
I read wrote it into a cancer :D
But it's not hard to re-invent mass effect if they wanted. Just not in the Andromeda universe, not because it was bad, I was very much interested in following that storyline, in 2017. Not anymore.

If Final Fantasy XIV was able to shutdown and relaunch with a degree of success I am sure Anthem can too.
But it would still be a coop/mmo. I wish they put half as much effort into keeping Andromeda alive as this ongoing charade.

excited to see where this goes, Anthem had a super solid core with just terrible design choices and lack of things to keep you engaged. Thankfully I played it safe at the time and just payed for a month of origin premier instead of buying the full game, also got access to some other games to play for a bit so it wasn't much of a loss/burn to me.

good to see BioWare devoting so many resources to overhauling the game...shows they are confident in the core gameplay...

Vehicle based MMO's rarely work out. They could make the city more alive and allow character customizations so we can look different and interact in the city. Actually see other players running around and such. But then it would be more like Destiny 2.

No suprise this is getting retooled, they more or less tossed it together in a year, and let all their paying customers beta test it for them.

They have a lot to do to make this game better, but it can be done. BioWare should take some queues from Destiny and replace the whole city area with something else that is larger and more spacious in the rooms, and lets other players in the main city area. That whole social hangar and solo city was a disaster. BioWare also need much more than a single weapon of fast, medium, and slow for each type. And finally, around 15 strongholds in game instead of 3, and when 2.0 is released they will need to have a whole additional story campaign to draw the crowd back in.

Last edited:
Yeah it will take a lot to fix this game, I hope they can figure out how to do it. I have a strong feeling though, that it is just a matter of time and bioware is going to be joining the other studios killed by EA.

This was my first thought as well but there's a big difference in that Bioware's title is not part of a rather old and well loved franchise. There were a lot of people willing to give FF14 another try simply because it was FF.

Of course anything can be saved, this game just isn't worth the effort. At best it can be ME3 multiplayer.

Of course anything can be saved, this game just isn't worth the effort. At best it can be ME3 multiplayer.

Seems like a flop in every respect. Nice artwork and graphics, semi interesting combat and mech designs. Not so great looking co-op based game plagued with other kinds of issues and apparently not so great gameplay. A year post release, they not going to turn this thing around.

EA should just let it die and let Bioware go back to their roots and pop out another Mass Effect style game - action RPG based around story and not grinding.

This was my first thought as well but there's a big difference in that Bioware's title is not part of a rather old and well loved franchise. There were a lot of people willing to give FF14 another try simply because it was FF.
Not only that, but SE made a big gamble with the resources they poured into FFXIV:ARR and would have gone bankrupt had it failed. Not many people realize this when they say "Well, if FFXIV did it...".

Back