Anthem Demo a "Clusterf*ck": Connection Errors, Loading Issues, and More

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Demos are supposed to sell a game, but Anthem’s “VIP” demo may have done the very opposite due to myriad issues ranging from overloaded servers keeping players out to permanent loading screens. While EA did what it could to resolve problems last night, some problems reportedly persist, which include loading issues (“95% loading, and then stopping"), as well as gamers unable to get past the title screen and Javelins not unlocking. According to DSOG, EA and BioWare claimed the demo would be representative of the final product.

Now if this is the day-1 experience that BioWare and EA are promising for Anthem, then count us out. It makes little sense to buy the game at launch day and we may suggest Anthem fans to wait a month (yes, a month) until all of the game’s connection issues have been resolved (or until there aren’t a lot of gamers playing it). Again, this isn’t a beta but a demo and EA and BioWare had more than enough time to fix the game’s connection issues (it doesn’t even have a queue line) and were fully aware of the amount of keys that would be available for this VIP demo.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I dunno, I think I'd rather have EA release a demo and iron out these issues before launch. Mind you, if they aren't able to figure out what went wrong with the demo going live and the full game launches with the same issues - well, there better be a sassy Megalith thread pointing that out.

As for demos, love to see the concept return and not just as a 'pre-order' reward and/or limited time access. The demo for Starsiege: Tribes (and the community that embraced the demo) was nearly as good as the full game.

I dunno, I think I'd rather have EA release a demo and iron out these issues before launch. Mind you, if they aren't able to figure out what went wrong with the demo going live and the full game launches with the same issues - well, there better be a sassy Megalith thread pointing that out.

As for demos, love to see the concept return and not just as a 'pre-order' reward and/or limited time access. The demo for Starsiege: Tribes (and the community that embraced the demo) was nearly as good as the full game.
The word you're looking for is "Beta", not demo.

BTW this is especially spicy since the closed alpha a month ago had the exact same issues. Infinite loading screens, connection errors, infinite wait for matchmaking and so on.

Downloading it now and will report back if this f EA bullshit or I log immediately. Often it seems a small percentage have problems, head to the internet to complain instead of troubleshoot, and blame the dev. Was the same with horizon 4 (on launch).

Edit - in immediately with no issues. The internet has become a cesspool of negativity these days, just a vent to complain. Is the game good, I dont know, but everyone is such a princess these days lol.

Last edited:
Now if this is the day-1 experience that BioWare and EA are promising for Anthem,

It's EA, practically stands for Early Access these days. They follow a simple system:

1) Release title in [broken] beta/EA
2) If title sells well early on and has DLC/Mx protential, fix. If not, assign/lay-off team and put skeleton dev team on project until it's quickly abandoned.

Seriously, when was the last time an EA project (that isn't a rehash yearly Sports update) released without a ton of issues?

People tend to blame the dev teams, but I think it's the publisher pushing unrealistic expectations, budgets, and schedules that causes it.

Don't Pre-Order. How often does this have to be hammered home? They're not running out of digital copies.

Also EA doesn't get a pass on this. They're big enough and experienced enough that this should not happen. I'm filing this game under "also ran."

Looks terrible to me in that you can tell the game is on rails, blind mouse clicking / joystick button mashing combat, an up close narrow scope of combat. I'll pick it up off Humble Bundle sometime in 2021 or 22 I'm sure for cheap .... maybe.

EA ... is also a very very scary component of this entire scenario so dunno about all that. That's a huge red flag on top of sketch game-play.
Downloading it now and will report back if this f EA bullshit or I log immediately. Often it seems a small percentage have problems, head to the internet to complain instead of troubleshoot, and blame the dev. Was the same with horizon 4 (on launch).

Edit - in immediately with no issues. The internet has become a cesspool of negativity these days, just a vent to complain. Is the game good, I dont know, but everyone is such a princess these days lol.

I'm gonna go ahead and call this one a dud. Metacritic ..... gonna say ... a high 70 something rating.

I got a pre-order copy of Anthem via the RTX bundle and I'm not allowed to play the demo yet. Fucking scam.

The plus side is hopefully the game is sorted out by the time it's open to the public.

oh boy the demo runs like dog shite on consoles, while on pc looks stunning you spend good amount of time doing things and stuff just disappears so you cant complete anything.

Looks terrible to me in that you can tell the game is on rails, blind mouse clicking / joystick button mashing combat, an up close narrow scope of combat. I'll pick it up off Humble Bundle sometime in 2021 or 22 I'm sure for cheap .... maybe.

EA ... is also a very very scary component of this entire scenario so dunno about all that. That's a huge red flag on top of sketch game-play.

I'm gonna go ahead and call this one a dud. Metacritic ..... gonna say ... a high 70 something rating.
Its a neat concept and very great looking, but yeah it could be a dud. I just put an hour into it on a one x and like I said its gorgeous but forced community activity ruined my just trying to look around the game. Forced me into a group with obvious bunch of ADHD kids speed running and was just trying to take a look around lol. (Automatic transport to battles like destiny)

How is this a problem? Like, not just for EA, but for anyone. Online games have been a thing for 20+ years. And just because it is a 'new style of play' (which is also BS) does not change the fact that it is clients logging into a database server... this is something that every major publisher has fixed already. Recycling code is not a sin. Stop reinventing the wheel!

Wait, you mean that EA has over-promised and under-delivered? No way, could not see that one coming. It's a shocker I tell you. But don't worry, EA will express their usual goodwill to customers by quickly fixing everything 100%.

Heh well for all the shit Destiny got, at least that game worked. I played the hell out of the Destiny demo and it was fine on launch too.

The lag is appallingly bad, you endlessly rubber band all over the place.

I have been playing it since launch yesterday and playing in private as a single player game it works. Trying to do a squad match is absolutely unplayable as the rubber banding is ludicrous. I don't understand how BioWare using the Frostbite engine with proven networking code can't get this right. I saw none of this insanity during the technical beta. I just don't get it.

Been playing since about 2pm yesterday. No lag for me. Only issues are the 90% load loop now.

Sounds like similar problems I had with the Alpha. Sounds like the game still needs a bit more time.

This story really comes off as inexperienced and ignorant horseshit. I expect better from this place, you guys should know better then the average whiney idiot on Twitter.

BTW- I played for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon and over 6 hours today. BioWare has been really upfront about the issues and been keeping the community updated on their progress addressing issues.

The only rubber-banding I’ve seen was NPCs now and again which appeared to be phasing issues during freeplay.

It loads, connection has been fine for me, frustrated that my 1080 GTX has issues running it at 1080P if I go balls to the walls on the graphical settings.

I'm doubting this game is my cup of tea though.

The game is being demo'd on alpha release versions. They are 3 or 4 huge builds ahead internally.This is more of a stability run than a demo. Anyone that thinks different needs to shake their head.

On PS4 is runs like wet chilled shit. Looks like it's running on a 760Ti. But it's an alpha version without tweaks.

Runs great on PC but the updated controls in later builds isn't implemented, that's a pretty big tell as its been fixed for some time.

The game play is great though, as is the experience minus the bugs. But the build sucks right now.

If you have the unlimited loading time you need to edit the game and reload and it'll stop that bug.

It loads, connection has been fine for me, frustrated that my 1080 GTX has issues running it at 1080P if I go balls to the walls on the graphical settings.

I'm doubting this game is my cup of tea though.

You must be very cpu limited at that resolution. My Vega 64 is running Ultra settings with high framerate at 3840x1080.

The game is being demo'd on alpha release versions. They are 3 or 4 huge builds ahead internally.This is more of a stability run than a demo. Anyone that thinks different needs to shake their head.

Ok, giving you the benefit of the doubt, why in the ten hells would they use an ALPHA build as a demo when they are so close to launch they should be 4 builds ahead of their first beta build at this point. Alpha should have been in the rear view mirror quite a while back.

I have EA Access Premier, so I'll give it a try again at launch to see if that build can actually run properly at 1080P. If not, I'll be happy to state the truth.

You must be very cpu limited at that resolution. My Vega 64 is running Ultra settings with high framerate at 3840x1080.

I hate double posting, but maybe you're right. I will double check to make sure my drivers are up to date as well. This would be the first game to give me any problems at my native resolution, with a Gsync monitor it shouldn't feel so blur-crap-tastic.

The game is less than a month from launch and already went Gold. If the bugs present in the demo aren't fixed in the base game already they probably won't be at launch. That said, the demo is a pre-final build so it is entirely possible that some of the major bugs in it have been fixed.

This story really comes off as inexperienced and ignorant horseshit. I expect better from this place, you guys should know better then the average whiney idiot on Twitter.

BTW- I played for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon and over 6 hours today. BioWare has been really upfront about the issues and been keeping the community updated on their progress addressing issues.

The only rubber-banding I’ve seen was NPCs now and again which appeared to be phasing issues during freeplay.

Regardless, you do realize you're about the only one here that gives a horseshit. Take that data, extrapolate it and you will see this game has already failed. lol. All you have to do is look to the past to discover the future.

U have to wonder really, with how messed up BFV was if it is EA there is something wrong with but idk really? Expect some problems, all games comes with bugs but... I manage to play red dead 2 and never even experienced 1 bug :p then they did leave out MP and micro for after reviews were done. If dragon age 4 wont be a great i think BioWare will get incinerated by EA. Seems like what EA prefer is to push for a half baked product with massive bugs and leave their dev's hanging. Anyway will reserve my opinion until it is released, im prety burnt on these multiplayer games :p BFV i can literally not play if i dont run custom fancurve /wo any oc.

Last edited:
Im willing to say that history tells us this will not be fixed for full release.

Reactions: ltron
like this
I got in right away just fine Friday night after work, and again last night. The only issue I've had is the 95% load screen and that has happened only twice over the course of 7 hours played. Game is really beautiful and haven't experienced any lag.

There are issues, but they all can be sorted out.

too bad no offline AI companions.....by the time this gets cheap enough to worth a purchase, the servers might go offline in the next month

Last edited:
Back