Antec, whats with the new ugly cases?

Direfox

[H]ard|Gawd
Man, this is really a step backward in my opinion. I have always been impressed with the style and class of Antec cases and these things are very... raidmax-ish.

Newegg links-

DF-35
DF-30
VSK2450
DF-85

Looks like there are some decent features, but IMO these are really ugly.

The third one is decent enough in comparison, but it looks like it's missing its front. Like a car missing its bumper.

you know when you see video games or movies or even terrible comics that have items (computer cases included) that are from the "post apocalyptic" future? maybe that's what antec had in mind. to make cases that were to be used in a movie about the post apocalyptic (PAF for short from here on out) future...they made a lot of them because they weren't going to "re-use" the same case in different shots for the movie. they wanted it to be realistic like. if each house on the a block or apartment in the PAF had a computer they weren't going to keep moving the case from house to house, they'd just leave it there. unfortunately it would seem that the movie studio paid for the cases but then cancelled the production of the PAF movie and then set up an office at the movie studio to liquidate the cases and then newegg was like PAF cases?!? ZOMG! fuck yes we'll buy these piece of shit cases and sell them for 37 fold what we bought them for.
Again, this is what looks like what happened. They are not attractive. they're cliche in a way. and believe i love shit that is cliche, but this is not one of those things. the main thing that bugs me is that case manf. companies are trying to make money by designing cases with "ease" or "aesthetics" in mind, but they seem to be loosing sight of the purpose and points behind the case. good airflow to ensure longevity of components, thoughtful design, lightweight sturdy construction. one thing that bugs me is that it seems like cases keep getting wider...now i understand that cpu coolers and graphic cards keep getting taller/wider/thicker but at the same time you'd think the case designer would think about ways to add space/save space in places and still make a case that can be used effectively and not be hideous. the lian li pc-x1000 comes to mind or the corsair 800D. (while on the wider side, they still maintain function with design)

The third one is decent enough in comparison, but it looks like it's missing its front. Like a car missing its bumper.

Agreed. Originally I was complaining a little about the quality but this is a $100 case with a 450W supply. The case would be fine if it did not have that stupid stick out front detail.

Last edited:
Dont care for the looks either, Dont mind a fan on top and even a recessed port or two but that thing on the top front just is fugly I dont care what you can plug into it.

VSK2450 looks best of the lot (again just my opinion, whatever floats your boat) and I like the inline drive bays that dont clog the front fan like some sideways mounted cages do, but $100, pass.

So I have no idea what they where smoki.... er thinking.

What the... I have this exact case (VKS-2000, to be exact, but looks identical to that) and I bought it from Fry's for $20. $100 is just... ridiculous. For $20, its a good case, but for $100? :rolleyes: Pshaw, there are better cases out there.

Seriously, newegg? $100 for a piss poor case with NO cable management and can't accept any GPUs longer than 260? Next case, please.

Unless they're planning on killing the Three Hundred, what the hell are they thinking?

No one is going to pick one of these hideous things over a 300 with similar features for less than half the price. "If we can't beat em, join em" well the HAF lineup looks a lot less tacky than these things; the HAF is built from the shell itself as rugged/military styled. These Antec cases, all they did was take the same shell and stick a bunch of plastic and shit on the outside to make it LOOK like it was built that way. I'm almost disgusted to own an Antec product now. :rolleyes:

*shakes head*

Those are just, terrible. Please Antec, update the 300/600/900/1200 to have all the features people expect (cable management). Then take a cue from Lian Li and do a similar series with conservative styling (ala PC-B10), but without all the goofiness of the P series.

someone hit those with an ugly stick.......

Antec should stick on improving the interior of the P190 series.......

The 3rd one looks tolerable but wth... the interior looks like some cheap Rosewill design. Why the hell am I going to pay $100 for that? Might as well buy a Rosewill for $20...

Looks like Cooler master or some other cheesy steel and plastic case manufacturer design, with "400 watt Power Supply" included! :rolleyes:

P182 and P183 series were amazing. They need to stick with those.

look good on the outside, but are a hot mess on the inside?

Not to break subject with this thread, but I have Lian Li's P80 Armorsuit, and it's one of the best cases that I've ever owned. Cooling is superior. The LEDs in the door bothered me, so I switched them out for non-LED, 140mm Yate Loons which really tone down the look of the case. There have been some great cases coming out lately, but I just can't seem to justify switching.

Ugly and cheap looking cases tend to sell really well. Just ask Thermaltake and CoolerMaster.

P182 and P183 series were amazing. They need to stick with those.

The P183 looked like crap. The chrome BS vents in the front increased noise, airflow and made the case look like shit. The chrome vent holes didn't fit with the color or style of the case at all. It looked like those shitty stick on fender vents you see on all the beaters driving around town.

Is it me or does only the DF-85 have cable management holes in the motherboard tray?

Is it me or does only the DF-85 have cable management holes in the motherboard tray?

It might. To me the DF-85 is almost an interesting design. I'll wait until Fry's has them on display locally before I really judge it one way or another. With that said my first take on the looks says "no way" to all of them.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the opinions on our cases. Of course, everyone is welcome to their own views, however, you really should be checking these cases out in person! In fact, most of the early reviews are very positive!

The differences between the DF-30 and DF-35 are that the DF-30 has blue LEDs on the fans, and the DF-35 has white LEDs and is equipped with 2 x internal FleetSwap 3.5" drive bays.

Also, to answer another question up there, the VSK-2450 comes with a 450W power supply.

Thanks,
Antec

Also, to answer another question up there, the VSK-2450 comes with a 450W power supply.

I saw that in the pictures but on the newegg specification it made no mention of having a powersupply. It looks like one of the problems is being new its missing an overview tab.

Argh, my eyes are bleeding. Did Thermaltake buy out Antec while we weren't looking?

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the opinions on our cases. Of course, everyone is welcome to their own views, however, you really should be checking these cases out in person! In fact, most of the early reviews are very positive!

The differences between the DF-30 and DF-35 are that the DF-30 has blue LEDs on the fans, and the DF-35 has white LEDs and is equipped with 2 x internal FleetSwap 3.5" drive bays.

Thanks,
Antec

The DF-85 is certainly the most interesting case among the new designs. I'd still need to see it in person obviously. Antec quality has always been top notch in regard to cases, but the designs are typically good on the high end but typically two or three over sights in the design keep me from buying them myself. My points concerning the P190 case (some of which were addressed with the updated P193's release) are examples of what I'm talking about.

When will companies catch on that no one like the "X-TREME" styling of things? They prefer sleek elegant design with great features, not 'MY CASE IS BOTH A TANK AND A GUNDAM' design.

I mean...maybe if they're marketing to 10 year olds?

When will companies catch on that no one like the "X-TREME" styling of things? They prefer sleek elegant design with great features, not 'MY CASE IS BOTH A TANK AND A GUNDAM' design.

I mean...maybe if they're marketing to 10 year olds?

I think you and I are actually in the minority on that one. The "XTREME" cases seem to sell really well. I see the hideous things at the checkout line at Fry's all the time. It could also be that the nicer cases are simply too expensive for your average Joe. For every Lian-Li, Silverstone, or high end CoolerMaster case sold, how many sub-$100 rabid Transformer cases do you think get sold? My guess would be that upwards of 10 or 20 plastic clad crap boxes get sold for every 1 high end case sale.

Thanks,
Antec

One thing: I bought a Coolermaster Elite 310 with a 420W PSU for $30. What is so special about your $100 case + PSU?

Well I guess Im in the minority. I think the new Antec cases look pretty cool. Im going down to Fry's on friday and I would like to check out the DF-85 in person.

Last edited:
Well I guess Im in the minority. I think the new Antec cases look pretty cool. Im going down to Fry's on friday and I would like to check out the DF-85 in person.

Are they already for sale and on display there?

These cases are what Unreal Tournament armored mercenaries use to build their rigs.
I must say, as much as the overall styling seems way overboard, the quality of design looks pretty solid and refined. At least, there are no lame sparse-hole stamped fan vents like in cheaper cases.
Also, I'd like to see more cases with black interiors--the p183 would be that much cooler if it were black on the inside.

One thing: I bought a Coolermaster Elite 310 with a 420W PSU for $30. What is so special about your $100 case + PSU?

with a psu for $30?!?... damn good deal imo (unless it was an all banged up used one or shipping was rediculous of course).

with a psu for $30?!?... damn good deal imo (unless it was an all banged up used one or shipping was rediculous of course).

No, brand new. Fry's had one for sale (original price was $40). I picked it up for a customer build, dumped the PSU into a file server box and put in a quality PSu in it.

What the... I have this exact case (VKS-2000, to be exact, but looks identical to that) and I bought it from Fry's for $20. $100 is just... ridiculous. For $20, its a good case, but for $100? :rolleyes: Pshaw, there are better cases out there.

Seriously, newegg? $100 for a piss poor case with NO cable management and can't accept any GPUs longer than 260? Next case, please.

I got two of those cases from Fry's for $20. Great for a basic computer or server.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for commenting and I can appreciate that the cases may look much better in person. However... I don't need to see them any better than the Newegg pictures to know that Antec is shifting more toward the Cooler Master etc. styles. I generally like Antec cases and when doing a build for family or friends I look at Antec first because there are so many good looking cases with decent power supplies. If I wanted a case that looks like these new one I have LOTS of choices from different brands. If I want a more conservative case thats well built with a decent power supply, I have always looked to Antec.

Just saying these cases aren't going to wow your original customer base (like me). What I would love to see are some Antec cases that compete with Lian Li's AO5 and I would love a redesigned mini 180. Or just some more classic styling with better airflow and bigger/better PSUs. Sonata-ish with room for multiple long cards and lots of air.

Back