Antec Super LANBOY Rear Fan Problem/Question

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
I finally got around to assembling my computer this weekend. I have the Asus AN8-E motherboard in the Super LANBOY case (after finally figuring out what the hell a standoff is! :eek:). I also installed the PSU and memory sticks.

My problem right now is that the case comes w/ a couple fans, including a rear fan. But rather than providing metal screws, they provide these rubber screw-like "fan fasteners" that are there to absorb the fan's vibration. Sounds like a good idea. However, in following Antec's directions to install it, they said to pull gently on the fan fasteners to mount them to the back of the case. Well, I tried that and wound up breaking one of the rubber fasteners off. I saw that Antec provides two spares in the "glove box" of the case, so I took one.

If I don't pull hard enough, the fan doesn't get mounted and falls off on its own back in the case. But as I saw in that one example, if I pull too hard (even in a gentle manner), the fan fastener will break off. Could anyone who has this case please provide some advice? Should I consider using metal screws instead, and if so, will vibration be a concern? Thanks.

I can provide a picture of what this rear fan/fan fastener looks like, but I won't be able to until Mon. night.

Edit (8/20/05): Please refer to my new post dated today for a couple new questions I have. Thanks.

I had the same problem with my Super Lanboy. I broke the fastener. I used regular screws in its place and have no noticeable problems with vibration.

wolfofsin said:
I had the same problem with my Super Lanboy. I broke the fastener. I used regular screws in its place and have no noticeable problems with vibration.
Thanks for sharing your experience. That sucks about the rubber fasteners. It's a very poor design on Antec's part, as minor of a design as it is. Did you use the screws that came in that little "glove box" tray or have to buy screws from a store like Home Depot. If the latter, do you remember what size? I might wind up doing the same thing and maybe put a vinyl washer or even a couple pieces of small paper to absorb some of the vibration.

same thing happend to me.. got a new fan and i just yanked it out until them rubber things snapped ..then i used some fan screws that i had laying around

Yep, same thing happened to me also.

Those fasteners suck ass and don't really do much, but the case is pretty good and I didn't have any problems with vibration. Most the vibration came from the pump I have in there.

happened to me too, but only one of them. I currently have only 3 in to hold the fan in and it's fine, 2 on top one on bottom.

my question is how do you take them out without breaking them?

Knuckles5 said:
happened to me too, but only one of them. I currently have only 3 in to hold the fan in and it's fine, 2 on top one on bottom.

my question is how do you take them out without breaking them?
I don't think it's possible to remove those fan fasteners, once you install them. :(

Well, I'm going to try again w/ the rubber crap, but if another breaks, I'm just going to use some screws. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I used regular fan screws. I've seen the fasteners for sale on Antecs site and a few others, but unless you're buying something else along with it, it's not worth the shipping to order them. I wish they were more widely available

Another thing I thought of is to push the rubber screws as far as I can, and then put crazy glue on both sides of the rubber and case. But I doubt the glue will hold off and I don't want the fan to fall on its own onto the video card. :eek:

Another gripe I have (not that I'm saying this case is bad) is that the sliding window part of the case is a litte tough to put back on after you remove it. It's not really the tracks on the top and bottom that are troublesome, but the part in the back that acts as a hook. You really need to line it up just right.

beowulf7 said:
Another thing I thought of is to push the rubber screws as far as I can, and then put crazy glue on both sides of the rubber and case. But I doubt the glue will hold off and I don't want the fan to fall on its own onto the video card. :eek:

Another gripe I have (not that I'm saying this case is bad) is that the sliding window part of the case is a litte tough to put back on after you remove it. It's not really the tracks on the top and bottom that are troublesome, but the part in the back that acts as a hook. You really need to line it up just right.

you can always bent that tab upwards so is easier to "latch" on

Haha, I'm glad I wasn't the only other Super Lanboy owner to make this mistake. I just went the desperate route and lightly super glued the ends to the case. With enough heat I can remove them, but it has worked quite well.

Thanks, gentlemen, for the advice. I'll try to wiggle it just a little bit tonight. And if the rubber crap breaks off, metal screws, here I come!

Or maybe I should just invest in a 120 mm Panaflo case fan. :D

Asian Dub Foundation said:
you can always bent that tab upwards so is easier to "latch" on
That's true. It's the biggest PITA about the case so far, other than the rubber fan fasteners. Speaking of that, I have an update (see my next post).

It worked!! WOOHOO!!!! I guess I'm getting a little too excited for finally being able to put the rubber through the hole. :eek:

What I did was I put all 4 fan fasteners through the hole (before they popped through). Then one by one, starting from the top right hole (when looking from the rear of the case), w/ one hand, I pushed hard on the head of the rubber screw. W/ the other hand, I pulled gently but firmly on the rubber and pulled it from side to side, almost at a 90-degree angle. Once the top right one came through, I knew I had a chance. I then attacked its diagonal, then the lower right. The top left one was the hardest, but I managed to get it through. I now have these big rubber spikes on the rear of the case and I'll cut them off later. Or maybe I'll just leave them as such as a joke. :D

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. :)

I've broken one of the rubber fasteners also, but I've also removed the fan and put it back on
all while using those fasteners...so it its possible but I wouldn't think it would last a few mobo
changes.

It would of been better if Antec included those plastic gaskets for the fans and the psu...but
I have to say that I'm satisfied with my Superlan boy, though I did win it at a lan party.

Wow. Sucks to be you guys. I never managed to break mine. I got my fan installed fine and everything, but I decided to go with a screw design instead because I found it more convenient.

I don't like those self tapping fan screws that people usually give out, so I bought some fancy screws that have bolts on the end, much better, less damage to the fans screw area, and they are easy to get on and off.

kuyaglen said:
I've broken one of the rubber fasteners also, but I've also removed the fan and put it back on
all while using those fasteners...so it its possible but I wouldn't think it would last a few mobo
changes.

It would of been better if Antec included those plastic gaskets for the fans and the psu...but
I have to say that I'm satisfied with my Superlan boy, though I did win it at a lan party.
Ahh, so it is possible to remove those rubber screws as well. Is it hard to get the motherboard out while the rear case fan is affixed to the case? I don't think I'll be changing motherboards for the life of the case, so it might be a non-issue for me, but it's good to know. :)

You can definately remove the mobo with ease, at least when its only the mobo thats in the case
you'd have to remove the cables and unscrew the mobo screws (not easy when using a big
ass heat sink), and move any optical drives out of the way too.

kuyaglen said:
You can definately remove the mobo with ease, at least when its only the mobo thats in the case
you'd have to remove the cables and unscrew the mobo screws (not easy when using a big
ass heat sink), and move any optical drives out of the way too.
Cool, that's good to know. Thanks. I still haven't gotten around to plugging the hundreds of power cables into various places on the motherboard and elsewhere in the case, but will get to it soon.

I started plugging in various wires and cables to the motherboard. I now have a new question for this case. Actually, two questions, but they're related.

1.) On my Asus A8N-E (Socket 939 nForce4 Ultra) motherboard, there is a 4-pin connector space for "System warning speaker". My Antec Super LANBOY case apparently left that out. How will my computer give off its BIOS POST beeps? Via the internal sound card?

2.) My Antec Super LANBOY case has a 2-pin connector that is white/yellow and says "LED". Where on the motherboard header does that plug into? I already have Power LED and IDE LED wires plugged into the motherboard.

Here's a close-up picture of my motherboard's header. Thanks again.

Well I just leave that LED header unplugged, I only have the HDD and POWER headers plugged in (and the rest of the usual fair). I guess that yellow led is for power to the mobo( to notify you that the psu is providing power to the mobo) most mobo have a led on them that lights up that does this.

As for the the pc speaker, I dont have one installed so as for any BIOS beeps for mobo errors I would be in the dark, but thats how I roll. Who needs error indications any way?

I broke one of my buddies but I eventually got it on, they are a bitch to get in there, but still a decent idea. Who knows how well they work.

kuyaglen said:
Well I just leave that LED header unplugged, I only have the HDD and POWER headers plugged in (and the rest of the usual fair). I guess that yellow led is for power to the mobo( to notify you that the psu is providing power to the mobo) most mobo have a led on them that lights up that does this.

As for the the pc speaker, I dont have one installed so as for any BIOS beeps for mobo errors I would be in the dark, but thats how I roll. Who needs error indications any way?
Thanks for the reply. OK, so it's not just me who encountered this. I know have the system up and running :) and see hard drive and power LEDs lit when appropriate, so I guess that's good enough.

As for the PC speaker goes, I might take the old speaker from my current (old) computer if it uses the same 4-pin wire, otherwise I'll also go in the dark. It still surprises me that the case left thtat out. Is that a new trend - to leave out the PC speaker in newer cases?

Patman said:
I broke one of my buddies but I eventually got it on, they are a bitch to get in there, but still a decent idea. Who knows how well they work.
You're referring to those rubber nipples for the rear case fan, right? They are a bitch and those who said to pull side to side rather than straight back were exactly correct. That's the trick that's needed and unfortunately Antec failed to include that hint in their documentation.

beowulf7 said:
Is that a new trend - to leave out the PC speaker in newer cases?

Yeah...more and more mobos have led's that read out a coded number that replaces the
speaker beebs...and the led's double as a power indicator too. My old Epox mobo (for my
new 1800+ back then) had these led's...its what all the cool kids had.

kuyaglen said:
Yeah...more and more mobos have led's that read out a coded number that replaces the
speaker beebs...and the led's double as a power indicator too. My old Epox mobo (for my
new 1800+ back then) had these led's...its what all the cool kids had.

ive got the MSI D-Bracket II led system and i still <3 my speaker lol, great for old school dos games :D

yeah i dont use that front LED or the speaker. and for the back fan, after breaking all those plastic things, i decided to use just a zip-tie. :cool:

To the three folks who replied:

I'm so used to hearing those PC beeps. :D One of my friends thought that perhaps the sound would be routed through the motherboard's internal sound (assuming the speakers are on), but I doubt it. I won't bother w/ the LED wire. And the Zip-tie was a good idea to metal screws that most use or the rubber screws (rubber nipples) that this case provides.

Im not sure why all u folks had problems with those rubber things that held the back fan in :rolleyes: , got my case on friday and had no problems with them, worked like a charm. U peeps are probably to violent :p .

Back