Antec SP2.0 500W $9.99AR + shipping @ Frys.com

engiNURD

Fully [H]
Eh, just noticed this was on slickdeals... so credit to them, lol.

Its probably the cheapest Modular PSU that isn't total crap. Not recommended for high end gaming systems. OEM is CWT, IIRC (which means keep it in a well ventilated (cool) area/case). I have a couple of these, and I thought this was a good price (paid $15AR for mine about 2 yrs ago; and they're still goin strong).

Its a good spare PSU on the cheap, imo.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4455906

FRYS.com #: 4455906

SmartPower 2.0 New Features include:

* Modular cable design, use only the cables you need.
* Dual 80mm fans in flow-through configuration
* Unique Dual Fans Design: The external exhaust fan starts, stops and adjusts its speed in response to system temperature, while the other fan is temperature-regulated
* Dual+12V output circuitry, for stability and safety
* Advanced Cable Management system, in which 500W model allows you to use only the cables that are needed
* 4 Serial-ATA connectors
* PCI-E graphics card connector

Rebate Link:
http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/rebates_pdf/4455906_092607.pdf

I'm not sure if I've ever gotten an Antec rebate back on any of my cases. Did you receive your last rebate? I really don't need this, but such an awesome price...

edit: $9 shipping plus tax kills it for me. Wish I could pick up in-store.

I'm not sure if I've ever gotten an Antec rebate back on any of my cases. Did you receive your last rebate? I really don't need this, but such an awesome price...

edit: $9 shipping plus tax kills it for me. Wish I could pick up in-store.

I received all my Antec rebates... which totals well over $300 over the course of the past few years, lol. My last rebate was for the P180B, $40AR ($50MIR). It came in a few weeks ago. I'll admit, they take a while to get here.

I'm picking up another for my sister's comp, lol. I know they're not great PSUs, but for < $20 and modular? c'mon!

When I bought my first two, there were about 20 of "us" who went and got it from Fry's. About 8 of them had to be RMA'd, lol. The two I got didn't... YET! lol. I heard about the capacitor problems on these, so I kept them in systems that weren't too demanding and located in cool rooms, hehe.

Review

Review says it is not good for overclockers, because rail drops under pressure.

Yah, but its ok for mild OC's. I had one of mine running an OC'd 3200+ for over a year without issues (htpc), and now its running an OC'd 3800+ X2. Again, its good for low end/midrange rigs. I wouldn't use it if you're using a 7800GTX or higher and OC'ing.

I bit... 500w antec psu for <$25 after shipping + tax... not bad... also, you can waive shipping and just do in store pickup for free! That makes this deal about $15 total AR!

I bought 2 unit and they both died within the year. Antec replace 1 with another same unit and the other with an EarthWatts 500. I hope the EarthWatt is much better than the smartpower units.

I went through three of these before I finally sold the last RMA replacement and went Corsair. Will never trust "WhineTec" again, though their RMA process is pretty painless.

I wouldn't waste my money on these, even if it's only 10 bucks. I got 2 of them a while back when they were around $30 after rebate. Both died within a few months, and one took a motherboard and video card with it. I'm a folding guy, all of my rigs run 100% 24/7, so I put some stress on a psu. The Antec Neo HE series is good, but not these.

I bought 2 unit and they both died within the year. Antec replace 1 with another same unit and the other with an EarthWatts 500. I hope the EarthWatt is much better than the smartpower units.

The Earthwatts is MUCH better. Its built by Seasonic, btw. Jonnyguru has a great review on it.

I went through three of these before I finally sold the last RMA replacement and went Corsair. Will never trust "WhineTec" again, though their RMA process is pretty painless.

Antec has since learned its lesson and is now using better cooling methods.

I wouldn't waste my money on these, even if it's only 10 bucks. I got 2 of them a while back when they were around $30 after rebate. Both died within a few months, and one took a motherboard and video card with it. I'm a folding guy, all of my rigs run 100% 24/7, so I put some stress on a psu. The Antec Neo HE series is good, but not these.

Antec had a bad run of these. They're supplied by CWT and use fuhjyyu caps. Those notorious caps mixed with Antec's "smart fans" overheats those less than adequate caps, which kills the PSU. So, if you keep them well cooled, they should last a while, like mine.

Antec's NeoHE and newer TruePower Trio/Earthwatts are better quality Seasonics with more adequate cooling.

I love the modularity and the smart fan of my SP2-500W, but I am on my 2nd. First one died. 2nd one is going fine, in my main rig. I run BOINC and game occasionally, and it's been OK.

I have an EarthWatts 500W in my HTPC, and would have switched them if it were modular. I am considering picking one of these up for my server (350W Basiq). The 2nd SP2 was a slightly diff model, since it had the newer Intel connector. I'm hoping it is of slightly better quality.

-bZj

man at my shop we had over 20-30 0 smartpower 500's die within the last year alone and the rma process is never ending with these power supplies. We finally learned our lesson and manned up and got a true power trio for our riggs instead. At least our boss finally listened to our voice of reason.

I bit... 500w antec psu for <$25 after shipping + tax... not bad... also, you can waive shipping and just do in store pickup for free! That makes this deal about $15 total AR!

I don't think they have in-store pickup at all locations yet. I belive its only a few in the norcal area. :(

Antec replace 1 with another same unit and the other with an EarthWatts 500. I hope the EarthWatt is much better than the smartpower units.

Really? Now I want to buy one, just to RMA it, lol.

The EarthWatts is a lot better than the smartpower units. The earthwatts and trio's are made by Seasonic, and Antec learned its lesson with cooling. Inadequate cooling of fuhjjyu caps is what killed most of the CWT smartpower units.

Back