Antec Skeleton Open Air PC Case

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Its probably safest to put it on a posing shelf out of harms way.

2. Martyr

Martyr 2[H]4U

3. vengence

vengence Level capped

That could be bad, although this gave me a thought. This case would be GREAT if you felt like doing a full imersion, aka cray blood, setup!

4. Arvig

Arvig Gawd

(This was a reply to my liquid comment)

True I suppose, but like a windowed case I'd assume one would want it at eye level so one can also show off the system. Well assuming one's cable management wasn't crap of course.

Anyway, it's a neat idea and I don't have any pets or children so those two factors are out. I don't think my house is too dusty..I do have to dust my PC case once in a while but it's never a huge amount. But I'd still be paranoid about liquid even if it is unlikely. And I know me, I'm a klutz. I'd be one of the first to officially baptize my PC in Pepsi if I had this case.

5. Casus

Casus Limp Gawd

This..

and this...

Honestly, I don't see the big thing about dust floating around, I mean, most cases I know the insides just get caked in dust, you gotta open up the sides and spray your compressed air all over, but then, if you don't have it angled just right (read: Impossible) then you just end up rearranging the dust. At least with this thing you just poof poof and it actually goes away.

6. ITOAO

ITOAO Limp Gawd

I will have this.:D

7. Juggafat

Juggafat Gawd

I'm gonna be mad if this case costs over $100

8. capreppy

capreppy [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2009

Cable Management would be painful at best. At least in a closed case, you can "hide" cables, but this thing is totally open.

[​IMG]

9. MrMike

MrMike [H]ardness Supreme

It's already a ugly ass mess of wires and there aren't even any components in it yet. Blech.

10. stevedave

stevedave [H]ardness Supreme

If built right that can make some sexy boxes. If Pricepoint is under 100bucks preferable around 70 I'm all over it for my LAN box.

11. XeenSD

XeenSD [H]Lite

Wow you think an Armor is bad
    try a mozartTX.
    Huge! and heavy especailly when loaded!

12. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

If you are ok with soldering, you can buy some thinner silver wire, perhaps use multiple braids and make your own method of routing power so that it is either colour matched or harder to see.

13. Shawnasee

Shawnasee Gawd

Wall mount for the win.

This is better for dust because as someone else stated you HAVE to open your box every once in a while to air-dust it out. With this you can do it everyday if you liked without ever having to pull a pin, undo a screw, or having to crawl under your desk.

Cable management is the only drawback.
    Get out the zip ties.

14. SyTyJedi

SyTyJedi n00b

LMAO!

15. Dekoth

Dekoth Gawd

I was interested right up until I read this.

Pity, it is a neat looking case. But I absolutely will not buy anything made of crap steel and plastic. I guess I should have figured, Antec isn't exactly top tier with their cases. Looks like my next case will indeed be another lian-li.

16. vengence

vengence Level capped

CRS isn't "crap", but the reinforced plastic on the other hand...

17. Azhar

Azhar Fixing stupid since 1972

I was thinking that if the frames were aluminum, it would bend too easily. It would have to be steel or stiff plastic.

18. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

So how is this new vs what I've done quite a few times in the past which is just have my case without the sides on? :D

19. BallerX

BallerX [H]ard|Gawd

LMAO all the boxes in my house have no side cover. I think I might be able to find one or two of the sides, but for my personal rig, I have no idea where it is.:D I don't really care either.

20. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Its basically one of those test bench things with a fan gafertaped onto it. :confused:

21. Serpico

Serpico [H]ardForum Junkie

I thought one of the points of a case was to shield the components from external interference. I'm also really conscious about noise and making my PCs as silent as possible. This is an interesting idea but not for me.

22. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

What are the noise levels?

23. Serpico

With this Antec case, no idea, but its an easy conclusion to say that with an open case you hear things like PSU fans, HSF fans, etc, much more easily than with a closed case. Aside from having large, slow moving fans for cooling, my PC also has panels with sound insulation material attached. As quiet as all of my internal components are, it is still much louder with the side panel open than when it is all closed up.

So yeah, something like that isn't really meant for silence freaks like me. :)

24. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Ah, I thought you knew how loud this new case is.
    I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt until reports come out.

The large fan isnt going to be any louder than the large top fan in our Antec cases so I'm sure that will be acceptable.
    It may require a switch of hard drives.
    The new 1TB Samsung F1 is practically silent and the WD 640GB AAKS is reported to be just as quiet.
    Both are top performing 7200rpm drives.
    With silent 120mm fans on the gfx card and CPU, this could be a winner!

25. Serpico

Yeah, I don't think I could do with that large fan on the Antec when spinning low. Even with silent 120mm working my on case and on my CPU, its still too loud for me when the door is open. :)

Then again, I was arguing for silence back when everyone else was using 60mm fans on their CPUs and were totally ok with that. As things get quieter I still want even less noise. With my last build I finally got my PC as quiet as my iMac, and getting rid of my old mirror door G4 Powermac did so much for my sanity (the fans on that thing were so frigging loud).

I swear, when I build a house I'm making a space separate from my home office for my PC. I don't want to hear squat. :)

Nice heads up on those drives, btw, I'll have to look into them next time I'm buying a new one.

26. 9mmx19

9mmx19 [H]ard|Gawd

Personally I dont really like it but I do like that theyre branching out from standard designs.

27. Dekoth

Dekoth Gawd

Sorry, I am not a fan of flimsy side panels that flex and bend and an interior that cuts me to shreds. CRS = Crap I will Never buy another CRS case as long as I live.

28. kooda

kooda [H]Lite

I don't really care about the noise/dust issue. My bigger concern is that you don't appear to have any room for a decent HSF on the thing. That hoses it for me.

29. Jaguar Jim1

Jaguar Jim1 Limp Gawd

Looks like a really nice Test Bench Frame that adds a little Panache to the Mix. I've been looking at the HSPC PC Workbench but as it has competition from Antec, I will research this further.

30. Azhar

Azhar Fixing stupid since 1972

With a massive fan like that on the top of the unit, all you would need is a fat copper heatsink. Who needs another fan? ;)

31. Jaguar Jim1

Jaguar Jim1 Limp Gawd

The whole Point of this Case, is that if you Need to Build a PC for Benchmarking, or Other Component Testing, this will Facilitate a Rapid Turn around and reduce Overhead by making the Swaps that much easier. For Someone like Brent, and Kyle who Change Gear more often than a lot of you guys they very well could find use for such an item, and maybe Lan Gamers who want some Shazang, to go.

32. Jaguar Jim1

Jaguar Jim1 Limp Gawd

CRS = Can't Repair Shit?

33. Axiomatic

Axiomatic Limp Gawd

This thing is cool but not for the primary PC case. Since I build a new PC about every year this would be a excellent addition to my desk to get the components all overclocked and tested and then once properly set up, moved in to a proper case.

I may pick one of these up.

34. swale

swale Limp Gawd

looks sooo nice anyone have any ideas on watercooling this bad boy??

35. bob

bob 2[H]4U

Correct, cold rolled steel isnt crap. But, steel at 0.8mm thickness, is a steaming pile of crap. This is just my opinion, but im not interested in a case that has the structural integrity of a sopping wet oragami.

36. MrHood22

MrHood22 [H]ardness Supreme

Reviews on it should be nice. It seems like it won't be what you want for performance though.

37. Serpico

Same here. Any computer I have has silence as a huge huge priority. That said, lots of people don't seem to mind noise it and it does look pretty cool, so it'll definitely sell.

38. MrLonghair

MrLonghair [H]ard|Gawd

If it wasn't this pricy I'd jump on a big and a mini once out of prototype stage. I'd have to move stuff around to make space for it and then I would hate how noisy it was and be surprised to find out that the temperatures weren't that much better in an open air chassis.

But for a spare/guest computer kind of thing with only one fan or completely passive cooling? Yes please.

39. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

dirt magnet.
    hover-craft.
    cat fell in.
    the horror.

40. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Hmm, already trying to figure out where I can make room for this on my desk. Somewhere I don't set drinks that is :eek: