Antec P280 vs Fractal Design R4 vs Corsair 550D vs {-others-}

kindasmart

[H]ard|Gawd
Edit: The Video Card for this Rig will be a Superclocked, Signature EVGA Titan.

THANKS in advance for your comments and reading my wall-o-text.

Antec P280 vs Fractal Design R4 vs Corsair 550D. Discuss please. Click vendor for vendor site and model for Newegg site.

Newegg P280 v R4 v 550D comparison chart here.

I'd like to keep the case under $300, not including any extra/upgraded fans/accessories. If you have another case you think should be included please mention it.

I've never owned a modern case with the PSU on the bottom. The case will sit on a carpeted floor. Will this block air intake? How do you guys solve this issue?

Noise and cooling are my main concerns. Price is not much of an issue. I can replace and/or add additional fans if needed. Case won't move so weight not an issue. Left side of case (when looking head on) will be up against a wall. Front door hinges must be on left.

Questions:
0) Noise? w/ stock fans? w/ new/upgraded/larger fans, etc.
1) How would you rate the included fans? Crap, poor, decent, good, excellent?
2) Should additional fans be added for better cooling, while keeping noise in check?
3) Overall airflow?
4) Construction of drive caddies? Secure, screws > tool-less, grommets etc?
5) Cable management?
6) Future upgrades to cooling say if Cooling > Noise?
7) Over construction/quality?
8) Vendor support/RMA issues if any?

What will be inside case:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Seasonic 660 watt Platinum PSU.
- Superclocked, Signature EVGA Titan.
- i7 3770k - assume 4.3-4.5 O/C using CM hyper 212 EVO.
- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H motherboard.
- 2 x 8GB G.Skill RAM DDR3 1600 cas9 memory.
- 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
- second SSD (future upgrade)
- 1 TB HDD.
- second HDD (soon)
- DVD Burner.
- 3.5" card reader. I might go with a 5.25" card reader/fan control unit?

Last edited:
The case is an excellent choice. I have 3 of them currently housing computers. But in regards to noise, the best thing anyone can do to cut down on noise is to use SSD vs Hard drives. I installed 4 SSDs in Raid format on my wife's machine with the above case and it is almost totally silent.

Noise with Stock Fan and upgrades are the same. Fractal >=Corsair >= Antec
The Antec P280 is handicapped by top vents and a rather flimsy (in comparable terms) top panel

1) How would you rate the included fans? Crap, poor, decent, good, excellent?

Antec Fans are OK fans and you can change the speed. The corsair fans are mediocore. They are not the quietest fans, do not offer the highest pressure, nor do they move a lot of air. The fractal Design fans are quiet but move very little air (despite being 140mm)

2) Should additional fans be added for better cooling, while keeping noise in check?

For the system in question? Absolutely. If you want to keep noise down. You would want additional airflow to keep your GPU fan from ramping up

3) Overall airflow?

Antec P280 > Fractal Design R4 > Corsair 550D (With acoustic in mind).
I am assuming you want to keep Fractal Design R4s additional fan slots blocked. If you use them. Airflow is as good if not better than P280 (especially if you use side fan mount).
If you plan to block off P280's top fan mounts. the Fracal Design R4 is better as you can remove the middle drive cage for better direct airflow to GPU.
I returned the corsair 550D because the front fans have very little room for intake. If you plan to use the side panel fan mounts AND top fan mounts, this is a non-issue. Another annoyance is the Corsair front door is annoying to open. It uses C-clips which allows it to be open both ways. However, this also causes it harder to open, but easier to take off entirely.

4) Construction of drive caddies? Secure, screws > tool-less, grommets etc?

Antec and Fractal are similar with Antec providing much better gromments.

Corsair caddies are tool-less but flimsy

5) Cable management?

No Opinion. Each case has pros and cons, depending on mobo used.

6) Future upgrades to cooling say if Cooling > Noise?

No Comment

7) Over construction/quality?

No rating. Here are my comments
a. Antec's top panel is flimsy. The case has a nice finish otherwise.
b. Fractal Design's front panel looks nice, but I don't like the look of the moduvents
c. Corsair's case has the best out of box look and finish. The front looks marvellous. However, if I ever move my hand over it, bits of skin scratches off and leaves a white mark on the case.

8) Vendor support/RMA issues if any?

Antec and Fractal RMA are great. Sent replacement parts with no questions asked. Never used Corsair's RMA.

I have owned and returned an Antec P280, Corsair 550D, and Fractal Design R3. I still own a Fractal Design XL. So, my opinion on Antec P280 and corsair 550D is based on a short amount of time with them. My opinion on Fractal Design R4 is based on my experience with the other similar products. These are my opinions only, not necessarily user concensus or factual truths.

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent post blood. It does help. If I were to strip all of the stock fans out of the case and replace with quiet and higher CFM ones would you say the R4 would be better especially if I remove the upper drive caddy?

kindasmart,

Yes, I believe so. Depends on the exact components. 1-2 new fans might be enough. With a 680 or 7970, having a decent air blowing directly to it and feeding it fresh air will help keep things quiet and cool.

I also realized you had a question about bottom mounted PSU. Yes, a carpet will block airflow with all 3 cases in question. You can either get a wooden board (with wheels or without) and place your case over it. Or, you can simply flip the PSU around so that the intake fan faces up.

The only noisy component that I see in your system will be your video card. I recommend an ASUS DCU2 card because that solution is quieter, IMHO. With the Seasonic power supply, a modern motherboard, and the EVO 212 your system is potentially quiet.

I have a 400r and its very quiet. My g/f has an older Lian-Li K7b and its quiet too. Its the components you put in your case that makes cases noisy. My motherboard at idle runs all my fans at 600-800 rpms. Even during gaming they don't go beyond 1000 in the games I have tried. Only when running prime 95 do you hear something...if you are listening for it.

IMHO whoever started the 'you need xxx case to have a quiet system" was pulling a bit of a fast one. You need a case that has large slow moving fans - and can run cool using them. But there are PLENTY of gaming cases that can be made quiet. As soon as you start adding a ton of foam or blocking noise exits you can make your fans spin faster.

Optimal cooling for these standard cases comes with 4-6 fans IMHO. The thing they don't talk about with fans is that yes more fans = more noise. But ONLY if you spin them at the same RPM. You can spin them slower and then have more capable cooling IF you need it.

Cooling in general is tough to guage because unfortunately the official testing seems always to be with the stock config..

Check out the bit tech big cooling investigation..though.

BTW for a PC on the floor I would get a box/stand/ikea thing to boost it up a little (and put it on a hard surface) or run the powersupply upside down.. Any of those cases will work. I don't in general like Antec because I thought the old "silent" Sonata case I first built a PC on was crap..so I'd be partial to Fractal or Corsair.

I bought the fractal design R4 last week when i put together my new computer. Having OCD about noise coming from my computer, I am quite sure i made the right choice. I too was between the corsair 550d and p280. I read literally all reviews I could find on these cases.

What sold me on the R4 was:
a) I like the look of it... others might not like the look so much
b) It has a crap ton of mod-ability if i ever need to do so with overclocking / watercooling
c) Quiet...

I will elaborate more on the quiet part.

Its obvious that the louder the hardware you put into your case, it doesn't matter how much sound dampening material is in there, it can only do so much until you start hearing the whine, and buzzing, etc etc etc, the stuff that makes me bat shit crazy.

What comes stock with the fractal is very quiet, and right now the loudest thing in my computer is probably either the GPU fan when gaming or my powersupply..because they are the only parts I have not upgraded yet. I will say that compared to my old CM stacker 830 full tower... it is quieter, but not night and day. I think once i have a new powersupply and videocard, probably the seasonic SS-660 or 760 platinum rated supply and asus gtx670 then i will be happy with the sound levels.

As of right now, with a 3770k, 2 stock fractal fans 2 harddrives, 1 ssd and gpu. It does its job well, but dont expect to have a 10 decibal sound level coming from your pc. Overall i do give the fractal a 9/10, but it really still depends on what parts you put inside of it still. The dampening can only realistically do so much. Ive even though of migrating my entire computer inside of my closet so i dont have to hear it lol. Ive already done it with my fridge :)

Oh I forgot to add, cable management with the R4 is very good. I dont have a modular PSU yet so i have wires everywhere, and they still all fit behind the motherboard tray no problem. Its tight, but doable. If you do have a modular PSU, then it will probably be the easiest thing evarrrr!

another thing i forgot to add lol.... My brother has an antec p280. when i compared side by side the r4 and p280, the p280 was def louder. His components are about the same as mine, running only stock case fans that came with the case.

Thanks all for the info. I updated my original post with the video card I will be using in the case. The video card will be Superclocked, Signature EVGA Titan.

Man I have everything I need now for a kick ass system, EXCEPT for a case.

I'm leaning toward the R4 but I'll keep an open mind. Perhaps I will look at other nice cases that I can modify for quiet operation, by changing out fans and such.

After I just dropped $1080'ish on a video card, spending only $100'ish for a case just seems wrong. LOL.

whoa damn!! a titan, u crazy mang :) would love one myself haha

fck the fractal then, u should get some like corsair 900d/800d or those 400$+ lian li's

i was eyeing a lian li, one of the top models, it had sound dampening and eveyrthing inside it too..heres the link :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112312

i don tthink i can justify the price tag, but i would love the case.

As a builder who's tried to do quiet several times....a word of advice...taper your expectations unless you're running stock hardware.

Anything that puts out a lot of heat is going to be hard to keep cool AND quiet. My experience has been you typically have one or the other. Quiet is hard to get on a system with an oc'd/hot CPU and a hot GPU even if it's a dual slot GPU.

• I've owned quiet cases (P182, Define R3, FT02)
  • I've had hot hardware/almost always run a CPU oc under air (2600K @ 4.6, i7 920 @ 4.0, had an SR-2 w/2 L5640's @ 3.6) and I've had SLI (GTX260) and hot single slot cards without rear exhaust (8800GT)
  • I've bought high end fans (S-Flex and Noctuas)

You can keep a case cool and have it be quietER, but if you're looking for quiet = SILENT, you're going to probably struggle.

Once you load up a case with fans, it doesn't matter how low the CFM is per fan, you're multiplying the noise by adding more than 1 fan. I've always tried to stay ≤ 24dB on fans but after adding 4+ to a case, you're not going to have ≤24dB anymore, you're probably 30-40dB. I've pretty much given up, because the alternative (to me) is either overpaying for cooling and not really ever getting the desired result, or just dealing with some noise and having an oc'd system.

I don't mean to dissuade you from giving it a shot, but just keep in mind what you'll be dealing with and don't necessarily expect that the best case scenario will happen. ;)

Again, thanks for all the replies and keep them coming.

fck the fractal then, u should get some like corsair 900d/800d or those 400$+ lian li's

i was eyeing a lian li, one of the top models, it had sound dampening and eveyrthing inside it too..heres the link :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112312

Something crazy expensive like that $500 Lian Li is something that if I could see it in person and I loved everything about it I could drop $500 on it. It would also be the last case I ever bought. If I spend $125 on the R4 and don't like it I won't feel so bad.

I say go Fractal Design Define R4 - every comparison test I read shows it beating the others in the cooling to noise reduction to price metric.

However, another to consider is the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1, supposed to arrive at Newegg any day now. It's very similar to all the above cases and also scores extremely well in testing.

http://www.eteknix.com/nanoxia-deep-silence-1-mid-tower-chassis-review/

I'm leaning toward the R4 now. That Nanoxia case looks interesting. I forgot about the recent Anandtech review on it also. It just doesn't seem to be available yet.

As a builder who's tried to do quiet several times....a word of advice...taper your expectations unless you're running stock hardware.

Anything that puts out a lot of heat is going to be hard to keep cool AND quiet. My experience has been you typically have one or the other. Quiet is hard to get on a system with an oc'd/hot CPU and a hot GPU even if it's a dual slot GPU.

• I've owned quiet cases (P182, Define R3, FT02)
  • I've had hot hardware/almost always run a CPU oc under air (2600K @ 4.6, i7 920 @ 4.0, had an SR-2 w/2 L5640's @ 3.6) and I've had SLI (GTX260) and hot single slot cards without rear exhaust (8800GT)
  • I've bought high end fans (S-Flex and Noctuas)

You can keep a case cool and have it be quietER, but if you're looking for quiet = SILENT, you're going to probably struggle.

Once you load up a case with fans, it doesn't matter how low the CFM is per fan, you're multiplying the noise by adding more than 1 fan. I've always tried to stay ≤ 24dB on fans but after adding 4+ to a case, you're not going to have ≤24dB anymore, you're probably 30-40dB. I've pretty much given up, because the alternative (to me) is either overpaying for cooling and not really ever getting the desired result, or just dealing with some noise and having an oc'd system.

I don't mean to dissuade you from giving it a shot, but just keep in mind what you'll be dealing with and don't necessarily expect that the best case scenario will happen. ;)

I with you 100%

I'd be very interested in what you consider high-end quality 120 and 140mm fans with a good combination of quiet and air flow. (regardless of cost)

I know my rig won't be silent or even super quiet. I just want a sound level that's not out of control and figured a quiet case would be the way to go. I'm willing to replace all the fans in the case and add more so they can all run at lower voltage but maintain the same amount of airflow. I'll probably replace the fan on my Hyper 212+ EVO CPU cooler as well.

I helped my brother build his Fractal R3, and used to own an R2. I've also owned over 15 fractal fans (140mm and 120mm). My brothers system is a 3570k with 212 evo, gigabyte 6970, and every fan mount is filled with a 140mm fractal fan. It is absolutely dead silent. I can get within 5cm of the case before hearing it. Temps are also fairly decent (though I don't have numbers I could give you right now). I definitely recommend this case over any of the others and would also recommend getting the fractal fans. If you don't plan to do some serious overclocking then the fans will be more than adequate given my experience.

I really like the look of these cases. I'm looking to replace my very aged Lian Li case finally, the poor thing is missing screws and several plastic clips for the front bezel have broken. Quiet is nice, but not exactly top priority either, so long as it's not incredibly noisy (right now the only thing I can hear in mine is usually the GPU fan ramping up, but it's not too obnoxious. Didn't really want to start a new topic when there is already several similar ones that exist.

I wanted something maybe in the $150-200 max range.

I guess my priorities would be as follows in order of importance.

1. Sleek metallic look, such as what these 3 cases. Don't want a ridiculous looking case, although a side window is OK.

2. Ease of install / quality. Do any of these cases utilize 'tool-less' technology such as thumbscrews, and particularly, the snap in / lock in drive enclosures? Also want to avoid cutting myself on a cheap-o case, which has happened in the past.

3. Roominess. My giant full tower Lian Li case has spoiled me somewhat in this department. Plenty of room for the giant video cards of the day, but don't know if I want to go for another full tower sized case this time.

Problem is, the black R4 isn't in stock. Newegg only have the white (window or no window) and titanium grey (window) in stock. All the rest are discontinued. Since my case will sit with the left side against a wall a windowed case would be useless. The black one looks very nice, but I might just order the white one as it will be on the floor, under my desk anyways so I won't be looking at it. I just didn't want an iPod looking case.

Hmmmmmm decisions, decisions.

Or I'll restart my search for a quiet case as it seems the ones I decide on are out of stock or discontinued.

if you have a micro center near you, they usually always have them in stock. I got the full black / windowless version from them and pricematched neweggs price at the time. i think in store its ~120$ or so, newegg was a few bucks cheaper.

if you have a micro center near you, they usually always have them in stock. I got the full black / windowless version from them and pricematched neweggs price at the time. i think in store its ~120$ or so, newegg was a few bucks cheaper.

Good tip. Thanks. I'm not within driving distance to a Microcenter, but I'll check and order it on-line from them.

I ended up going with the Fractal Design R4, I liked the overall look better than the others. I also went with the windowed version. I was even looking at the XL R2 full-tower, but not sure I wanted another huge case.

I'd be very interested in what you consider high-end quality 120 and 140mm fans with a good combination of quiet and air flow. (regardless of cost)

Gentle Typhoon would be my next "trial" but I haven't bought any GT's because at this point I just don't care that much anymore. :D

I bought probably 9 S-Flex (SFF21E's) before I decided to give Noctua P12's a try and I bought 4 of those. TBH I was unimpressed with the Noctuas in terms of noise. I expected more (less? ;)), I was disappointed. Build quality, they are top notch, no doubt. I just wasn't "wow'd" by the noise compared to the S-Flex.

Now I typically just buy Yate Loon. Cheap, do the job, respectable noise.
I put the "nice fan money" towards other parts. :)
140's are tough, there are not a lot of 140's out there for cheap, other than Yates. I have 2 140 Yate lows, I don't think they're that great for airflow but they are quiet and they were cheap. The Fractal 140's that came with my Core 3000 are damn nice fans though; if I can get some on sale I'll do so.

glad you decided on the r4 :) now were r4 brothers! :)

If there is 1 piece of advice i could give you when you set up the case.

If you have any SSD's make sure you mount them first if you want them behind the motherboard tray before you mount the motherboard. I made this mistake and had to tear everything apart again to get my SSD's behind the motherboard tray.

To anyone else with the R4, have you tried to plug more than 1 fan into each channel of the fan controller? I can't find any specs about how many watts per channel the fan controller is.

I believe the fan controller rating is 0.3A, 50V DC, 5w/ch.

There are owners using more than one fan per channel.

Also, using Velcro to mount SSDs is simpler than screwing them to mounting holes and allows for easy removal & replacement.

HTH!

;)

I finally have the time to start putting my dream system together in my shiny new R4 case but came upon a snag after I mounted the SSD to the back of the motherboard tray. The SSD physically mounts OK, the problem is the power cable from my Seasonic power supply can not be plugged into the SSD. The wires attach to the SATA power connector at right angles (pic of cables) making it impossible to power my 840 Pro.

I'll need to use an adapter where the wires go straight into (parallel to) the SATA plug on my SSD.

My plan is to install the DVD burner and a 1 TB HDD in the upper 5.25" bays of the case, with my SSD mounted to the back of the motherboard tray. This way I can remove the upper 5-bay cage and lower 3-bay cage allowing unrestricted air flow from the front and bottom 140mm fans.

I'm buying 2 additional 140mm fans plus I'll have the two that came with the case. One on bottom and two up front as intake. Then have the one by the CPU as an exhaust fan.

What do you all think? Thanks.

Edit: Since I want to try to get my rig working this weekend I think I'm going to leave the bottom 3-bay cage in place and mount the SSD and HDD in that cage.

Since I'll have 3x 140mm intake fans and only 1x 140mm exhaust fan I'll have a positive pressure setup, at least to a degree. Now another question is how do I mount the PSU?

Should I mount the PSU sucking in cool air from the bottom and exhausting it out the back with very little hot air going into the case. Or mount the PSU with the fan on the top sucking in warmer air from the case and exhausting it out of the case?????

When I'm not gaming I'm going to be drawing little power so with the hybrid switch on my PSU the fan probably/might not even come on at all. So if I mount the fan on top it will get some air from the case fans and the PSU fan might not come on at all, until the power draw goes up when I'm gaming.

Any comments on PSU mounting pros and cons. Thanks.

Last edited:
Wait, you can attach an SSD directly to the motherboard tray? I just used one of the HD bays, they will mount to those just fine.

He's mounting to those mounts to avoid using the removable HDD cages, giving him better airflow from the front fans.

Kindasmart, I'd definitely mount the PSU with the fan at the bottom. This keeps your PSU cooler overall and prolongs its life. As it will run cooler, its fan will come on less often - keeping your system quieter and drawing less power.

Also - 3x140mm intake and 1x140mm exhaust is a very nice positive pressure setup - there are also the vents on the back of the case for excess hot air to be pushed out of.

Yes, the PSU with the fan mounted on the bottom will pull air up through the bottom fan intake.

I ordered a few extra 140mm fans a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately the vendor seems to be out of stock with them.

If your not set on these three cases maybe look into Lian Li offerings. I have the A71F myself and love it.

Wait, you can attach an SSD directly to the motherboard tray? I just used one of the HD bays, they will mount to those just fine.

Yes. You can attach two SSDs directly to the bottom of the motherboard tray.

He's mounting to those mounts to avoid using the removable HDD cages, giving him better airflow from the front fans.

<snip>

Also - 3x140mm intake and 1x140mm exhaust is a very nice positive pressure setup - there are also the vents on the back of the case for excess hot air to be pushed out of.

Exactly. Since I only have two other drives in your system (DVD and HDD) I can remove both the upper five-bay and lower three-bay 3.5" drive cages for optimal airflow. Although I did discover that my PSU power plugs can not be used for the SSD(s) mounted to the motherboard tray. The power wires coming into the SATA plug do so at right angles and with the SSD directly on the tray there is no clearance for the plug. I need to buy an adapter/extension cable with wires "in-line" with the SATA plug.

Since my case will have positive pressure I'm now wondering if I install the PSU with the fan on top, some of the air in the case will exit through the PSU cooling it. And if I'm not gaming (low power draw) perhaps that will be enough airflow to cool the PSU with it's fan turning on? This is what I'm wondering about now.

If your not set on these three cases maybe look into Lian Li offerings. I have the A71F myself and love it.

Nice case. But I already bought the Fractal Design Define R4 case. Pearl Black finish.

Exactly. Since I only have two other drives in your system (DVD and HDD) I can remove both the upper five-bay and lower three-bay 3.5" drive cages for optimal airflow. Although I did discover that my PSU power plugs can not be used for the SSD(s) mounted to the motherboard tray. The power wires coming into the SATA plug do so at right angles and with the SSD directly on the tray there is no clearance for the plug. I need to buy an adapter/extension cable with wires "in-line" with the SATA plug.

I might have to give that a shot then, although I may be in the same boat as you TBH with power supply cables.

Kindasmart, I'd definitely mount the PSU with the fan at the bottom. This keeps your PSU cooler overall and prolongs its life. As it will run cooler, its fan will come on less often - keeping your system quieter and drawing less power.

Yes. You can attach two SSDs directly to the bottom of the motherboard tray.

Since my case will have positive pressure I'm now wondering if I install the PSU with the fan on top, some of the air in the case will exit through the PSU cooling it. And if I'm not gaming (low power draw) perhaps that will be enough airflow to cool the PSU with it's fan turning on? This is what I'm wondering about now.

Hmmm... here's my reasoning as to why it would be better to mount the PSU with the fan down.

Seasonics thermally-controlled PSU fan will come on when temps & load increase, and if it is drawing from the warm interior of the case this is likely to happen more often.

Also, the case will have less positive-pressure if the fan is run it fan-up. Adding the PSU fan to the rear exhaust fan and whatever GPU fans you my have starts to tilt the ratio towards neutral from positive.

IMHO!

:D

Hmmm... here's my reasoning as to why it would be better to mount the PSU with the fan down.

Seasonics thermally-controlled PSU fan will come on when temps & load increase, and if it is drawing from the warm interior of the case this is likely to happen more often.

Also, the case will have less positive-pressure if the fan is run it fan-up. Adding the PSU fan to the rear exhaust fan and whatever GPU fans you my have starts to tilt the ratio towards neutral from positive.

IMHO!

:D

Interesting. Makes sense. I'm leaning that way (fan on bottom) anyways. I guess if I experiment I can find out if the PSU fan spins up at all. According to the [H] review the fan didn't come on until higher loads were reached, so if I'm not gaming and the load is low I can't see a platinum PSU heating up enough for the fan to come on. And with 3x 140mm fans + blower video card the interior of the case shouldn't be that much higher than the outside air? But who knows.

Doesn't matter really I guess, with four, 140mm fans going I probably will never hear the PSU fan at all.

Back