Antec P180 vs. Antec Nine Hundred

jpinard

Limp Gawd
For the moment, disregard looks, ignore the sound, and skip the cabling issues.

What's most important to me is cooling and dust protection. I have 4 HD's, and an OC'ed mobo, cpu, RAM, and vid card. Therefore I need the best airflow cooling and hopefully the best dust protection. Therefore, which of these two cases would be best?

Good thing yoou put those exceptions in, but I would go with the new 900.

jpinard said:
For the moment, disregard looks, ignore the sound, and skip the cabling issues.

What's most important to me is cooling and dust protection. I have 4 HD's, and an OC'ed mobo, cpu, RAM, and vid card. Therefore I need the best airflow cooling and hopefully the best dust protection. Therefore, which of these two cases would be best?

i can only comment on the nine hundred ,which i recently purchased .
this case is COOL .
motherboard 29
cpu,30
gpu 48 .
no overclocking .
if i were to upgrade the stock cpu/gpu coolers it would be cooler again .
as for dust , well im thinking every case out there will have SOME dust . a bit of regular maintance will fix that .
would i reccommend the nine hundred ??
you bet .
my hardware ,, loves it .
cheers .

Yeah in general more airflow = more dust, so the 900 would be one big dust bunny most likely. The p180 comes with fan filters standard, and you could buy some for the 900, which would definitely help.

However, from what I've seen cable management is even worse with the 900 than it is with the p180 (which is not great to begin with).

Have had the 900 for a couple of weeks and really like the way its built and the air flow is great. Left off the internal 120 fan bracket ( too tight in there). Have a Asus P5W DH and a Thermalright HR 01 775 and the duct that comes with the HS lines up perfect with the back exhaust fan.

Thanks for the feedback. Cooling is #1, so I ordered the 900 and cancelled my backorder for the P180. I also have aluminum fan grills on order. They may look ugly, but should help with dust (I vacuum the front of my computer with the hose).

The P180 can fit 2 120mm fans up front. then one by the PSU / HD's in the middle. One in the back, and one on top. Thats 5 120mm fans.

The back of the Nine Hundred looks the same as the P180. The front of the Nine Hundred screams let dust in. The side of the Nine Hundred screams let dust in.

In fact when fan filters were not common we used to make our own dust filters for any intake fans, and then we would cover every hole that let air in / out with duct tape. Why might you ask? We don't want stagnent air...we want as air tight of a box as we can with a wind of air coming in the front, and exiting the back....as quickly as possible. Leaks = loss air flow. So the side of the case gets a big thumbs down.
Whats the tray on top for? Is it a cupholder or something? (the Nine Hundred)

Reset / power button for the Nine Hundred are on top (if you sit your case on your desk, this will be annoying). It lacks sound deadening on the side panel, and I see no filter in sight.

If I had one of them for every room, my house would be dust free.

Its a P180 thats supposed to be for gamers, yet some of its "coolness in looks" (aka the grill side by the window) works against the cases rather good cooling setup.

I like the BTX style of the P180 more then the Nine Hundred, on top of that you could purchase 5 120mm high CFM fans for the cost of all the shitty fans they give you and put them 120mm fans in the P180.

I own a P180 :)
I think it looks like a workstation,not a kids machine.

If you want a "grill" looking workstation...
Lian LI PC-V1000 I think its called.
Nice....and costly.

Also where the FUCK do you buy 200mm fans at?
Blue also makes your iris of your eye contract I want to say, aka makes gaming in the dark worse for you.
Not only does the Antec Nine Hundred collect dust, anthrax, and everything else. But it will slowly make you go blind.

factory81 said:
The P180 can fit 2 120mm fans up front. then one by the PSU / HD's in the middle. One in the back, and one on top. Thats 5 120mm fans.

The back of the Nine Hundred looks the same as the P180. The front of the Nine Hundred screams let dust in. The side of the Nine Hundred screams let dust in.

In fact when fan filters were not common we used to make our own dust filters for any intake fans, and then we would cover every hole that let air in / out with duct tape. Why might you ask? We don't want stagnent air...we want as air tight of a box as we can with a wind of air coming in the front, and exiting the back....as quickly as possible. Leaks = loss air flow. So the side of the case gets a big thumbs down.
Whats the tray on top for? Is it a cupholder or something? (the Nine Hundred)

Reset / power button for the Nine Hundred are on top (if you sit your case on your desk, this will be annoying). It lacks sound deadening on the side panel, and I see no filter in sight.

If I had one of them for every room, my house would be dust free.

Its a P180 thats supposed to be for gamers, yet some of its "coolness in looks" (aka the grill side by the window) works against the cases rather good cooling setup.

I like the BTX style of the P180 more then the Nine Hundred, on top of that you could purchase 5 120mm high CFM fans for the cost of all the shitty fans they give you and put them 120mm fans in the P180.

I own a P180 :)
I think it looks like a workstation,not a kids machine.

If you want a "grill" looking workstation...
Lian LI PC-V1000 I think its called.
Nice....and costly.

Also where the FUCK do you buy 200mm fans at?
Blue also makes your iris of your eye contract I want to say, aka makes gaming in the dark worse for you.
Not only does the Antec Nine Hundred collect dust, anthrax, and everything else. But it will slowly make you go blind.

Interesting post... wish I'd had it before I changed my order. But the ne order hasn't shipped so I can still make a change.

A few questions for you:

1. The front of the case has inlets all around the perimeter. That seems as if it would be more difficult to control than the consitent flat holes of the 900. I can easily put ugly tape over the holes of the 900 and create a perfect seal.

2. The side panel was killer. It seems I'd have to throw it out to use my 120mm fan on it. (I have 5 120mm Sycthe fans).

3. The PSU space looks liek it'd be idficult for a bottom fed fPSU fan to pull adequate air into it. That really scared me.

Let me know what you think! Thanks! :)

1. The front of the case has inlets all around the perimeter. That seems as if it would be more difficult to control than the consitent flat holes of the 900. I can easily put ugly tape over the holes of the 900 and create a perfect seal.

Not really, the sides of the door have a sort of grille, the plastic bits. it lets quite a bit of air in. If it really bothers you, you could make a fan filter with pantyhose just for those sides. Then you'll be letting in a lot of air and still have a dust filter.

2. The side panel was killer. It seems I'd have to throw it out to use my 120mm fan on it. (I have 5 120mm Sycthe fans).

the P180 has 5 120's: 2 in the upper chamber for exhaust, 1 in the front of the upper compartment, one in the middle compartment of the psu chamber, and with about 20 minutes of modding, one more in the front-bottom.

3. The PSU space looks liek it'd be idficult for a bottom fed fPSU fan to pull adequate air into it. That really scared me.

Not really, plenty of air breathing room. I sealed off ALL the holes on mine except for fan holes, and my psu temperatures are still rather low. Besides, you can arrange it so the fan points up.

Let me know what you think! Thanks! :)[/QUOTE]

I think the 900 case has the 200mm fan, and looks to make it worth $140 compared to Newegg's $120ish or so price of the p180.
I think the nine hundred is worth a try, but it seems like many cases I think...innovative ideas lacking performance.
The p180 is popular for a pretty good reason.
Its got what people look for in quality case, the nine hundred does too, but in a gamerish way. You wonder if the 200mm fan and grill is for bling, or does it really drop case temps?
The 200mm fan works, but you need to change fans even more so without grills.
Its your choice, but I think the nine hundred is got the bling / $$$, and lacks a little performance. Or it would have all the jazz of the p180 and then some.

all i can say is my nine hundred performs quite well .
mb 29
cpu 30
gpu 48
wd 74 gig raptor 26
wd 160 gig storage 43 ..
i dont know a big lot about computers , but to me ,, those temps are good .
thats performance .
i guess you would need both cases , together , with the same guts inside , to really tell which one performs better .
jpinard was looking for cooling and dust protection ..
i can vouch for the cooling part . the nine hundred runs cool .
my case is a week old .
ill have to wait and see about the dust part .
there is no dust build up so far .
thats my 2 cents ..
cheers .

Noise and dust wise the 900s 4 fans it comes with - each have 3 speed switches on a 4 inch wire leed from the fan they are very small.

Well crap. You guys got me all confused :) My 900 order is already halfway here... so looks like I'm sticking with that case (I don't want to lose another $25 in shipping costs).
I think I just need to find a good clean way to inhibit the extra dust coming into the case. I do have a whole bunch of acrylic I'd originally purchased to make my own case. Maybe I can use that as a "plate" to cover the extra holes. Since it's clear it shouldn't look bad, and I could even put lighting on the edges to cover the seal?

i actually have yet to turn on the computer in the case (lol) but i can tell you on the front are the main air intakes, and on both of these air intakes, is a dust filter. you push the fan cover, it pops open like a little door, you pull that open, and the dust filter snaps off, tootally washable. peice of cake.

dust management, P180 owns

note: Antec owns, im sure they have something just as clever on one of those.

ive used both cases... Nine00 pwns P180. cable management is so much easier and P180 doesnt come close in cooling.

hey r3g, could u possibly post an inside shot of your 900? im curious about thsi case, and wonder how the best cable management might look

cesium666 said:
hey r3g, could u possibly post an inside shot of your 900? im curious about thsi case, and wonder how the best cable management might look

I'd like an inside shot too, cause I'm gong to need some guidance getting my cables halfway decent (I suck at cable management).

Picture002.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004.jpg

i have in mind to mod a COVER .
to cover up some of those wires ..
keep it nice and neat .
good luck with your case .
cheers .

will do .
it will be a while yet though .
i have a zalman cooler ordered . and some sleeveing .
once i get that , ill remove the motherboard to install the cooler , then ill work on the case .
i will post pics .
cheers .

If i ever take it apart again ill be simply painting the inside black. I noticed how poorly finished the inside was and I think a quick squirt of black paint might do it nicely.. :)

RiZnO said:
If i ever take it apart again ill be simply painting the inside black. I noticed how poorly finished the inside was and I think a quick squirt of black paint might do it nicely.. :)

sounds great ..
theres lots of ideas to tidy up this case some .
pass em around .
thanks for your imput .
maybe we should start a new thread ,,IDEAS .. TIDY UP THE ANTEC NINE HUNDRED.
cheers .

i want more ideas for the cables.. tucking them under the hard disk cage cant be the only solution without cutting the case up.

Antec Nine Hundred. My friend has a P180 and absolutely hates it. Way too little work space compared to the Nine Hundred. And for airflow do you really have to ask? ZOMG 200mm fan! lol.

Astrogiblet said:
Antec Nine Hundred. My friend has a P180 and absolutely hates it. Way too little work space compared to the Nine Hundred. And for airflow do you really have to ask? ZOMG 200mm fan! lol.

zomg QFT 200mm ftw. :p

Back