Antec P180...dual 120's in the front...proof!!! (pics)

SarverSystems said:
It's mentioned in the first post.

Oh ok thanks i see it now, I would need it, I love HDDs :D more space the better even though i am not stacked right now :(

I would rather have my HDDs down there anyways

My question (as a potential P180 buyer) is, why do you need the intake fan? Isn't the "thick" 120mm in the bottom chamber there to suck air in from the front of the case, over the HDD's, and out the back of the PSU?

that power supply looks very interisting i have never seen one like that :)

definetly a good effective mod you have there

jebo_4jc said:
My question (as a potential P180 buyer) is, why do you need the intake fan? Isn't the "thick" 120mm in the bottom chamber there to suck air in from the front of the case, over the HDD's, and out the back of the PSU?

That is the fans purpose. I guess an additional fan in front of it would provide a little more airflow but I'm not sure if it's really needed. I guess that would depend on how much heat you have in the lower chamber.

jebo_4jc said:
I am thinking about taking out the middle fan on the botton of my p180 and just using this mod. What does everyone think? Think i will still have plenty of cooling for two or three hard drives and a power suplly in the bottom? I am putting in a OCZ Powerstream 600 and it is 7" long so i probally will have to remove the middle fan. Any thoughts?

Also what size drill bit did you use? Great thread too :)

The actual size of the drill bit isn't important, as long as it is wide enough to pop the heads of the rivets off.

SarverSystems said:
The actual size of the drill bit isn't important, as long as it is wide enough to pop the heads of the rivets off.
Any input if it will be ok to remove the bottom middle fan and just use the extra 1200mm discussed on this thread for cooling?

hevnbnd said:
I am thinking about taking out the middle fan on the botton of my p180 and just using this mod. What does everyone think? Think i will still have plenty of cooling for two or three hard drives and a power suplly in the bottom? I am putting in a OCZ Powerstream 600 and it is 7" long so i probally will have to remove the middle fan. Any thoughts?

Also what size drill bit did you use? Great thread too :)

Yes, you definitely will have to move that fan. I had to move it with my Powerstream 520

Yes, you definitely will have to move that fan. I had to move it with my Powerstream 520
grrr so did you just dril out the rivets and take out the whole bracket? Got any pics?

Sorry i was talking to the guy above ;)

jebo_4jc said:
You don't need it. The 120MM fan provides enough negative pressure to suck air in from the front and over the drives.

Modders sometimes just mod stuff to prove it can be done, which is cool. ;)

That power supply idea is amazing, just seems a little cheap for a 650w.

Cool mod too.

Newb question: how do I drill out those bolts? I've always been too afraid to get a power drill near my PC, but now I can't resist :)

Do you just take a normal bit and grind away at the end of the bolt, with its axis? Should the size of the bit be the same as the bolt?

I'm at work and don't have a good mental picture of that bracket and its bolts... maybe this'll make sense once I get home. Either way, Antec meets Black and Decker tonight!

You're going to drill them out just like you'd drill a hole down through the center of it. If you use a drill bit roughly the same size as the head of the rivet, the head will pop off, and the rerst of the rivet will fall out the back, leave a perfectly round hole.

OK so i drill out the rivets, and i take out that bracket.

then i just put a fan in, attach it with screws and that's it?

If for whatever reason i decide i don't want a fan down there anymore...the piece i took out? does it serve any purpose?

bump because I read this again because I recently bought a P180 for :20bux: and maybe other P180 owners will find this useful :)

SarverSystems said:
$20 for a P180? Link??? :p
Bought it at an Antec reseller. It was missing the whole front panel and one side panel and the accessories (basically a "scratch and dent") but Antec has been so kind as to send me replacements. :)

man this thread is so awesome, i am planning to get a p180 in a little while and i definitely want to do this. thanks! wish you could do a youtube video for a scared noob like me :D

Gotta love the [H]. Search for "p180, fan, front" at 11am and have the whole mod done and fan installed by 11:50am :)

lol, i did the EXACT mod on my P180 when i got it a few months back :)

nice work.

the only things i did different:

I used a old fan grill like this one
fan-grill-120mm-chrome-guard.jpg

I cut off two of the eye hole things... instead of washers.

Then I put the filter back on, but I had to cut off the top two "clips" and make them flush. This was so they didn't stop the fan from moving.

Flawless!

i do not see the pics of that website, looks like you recently updated it.

I can direct link to the images in my gallery, but its a major pain in the ass. Just do what was posted above. The pics are there.

...Once the bracket is removed, you'll need to get 2 small washers and place them over 2 fan screws. Only the 2 bottom fan screws are needed to hold the fan in place, but if you wanted all 4, just drill out to holes where the top 2 fan holes would line up.

You can see the 2 screws here:
AntecP180-005.jpg

AntecP180-004.jpg

On the inside of the case, in the lower chamber, if your fan is too thick, you'll never get the hard drive cage to slide back in. Mine is a VERRRRRRY tight fit, but it DOES slide back in place. I opted to leave it out to conserve weight and access the fan easier. My hard drive is mounted in the fan controller anyways, so no need for the lower cage.
AntecP180-008.jpg

How 'tight of a fit' are we talking about? I've tried with 25mm fans (slimmest 120mm I can find) and the cage will not go in - What brand/model of fans are you using?

As I mentioned in the email of yours that I replied to, there is no drive cage in the bottom. I took it out. I was able to smash it into place, but I took it out because I no longer needed it.

The fans I bought were purchased from SVC. UV orange ones. Probably Cooler Master.

i have four hard drives in there and their temps are just fine with the middle fan.

but nice mod anyways on the outside of the case.

sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anyone still have the original pics? I searched on google couldn't find any similar pics. Thanks.

Back