Antec Overture Question / Small + Queit HSF

Therac-25

n00b
If anyone else out there has an Antec Overture, I have a question.

I'm probably going to use this for my HTPC case, as my current plan is to transform my existing box into an HTPC, and acquire an SFF box for use in my office, and so I need an inexpensive full-sized ATX case, and the Overture seems to be getting good reviews (I know there are heat issues, but I gathered that was because some of the fans were mounted wrong?)

Anyway, heat isn't really my issue, it's noise -- so I'm planning on getting a quiet HSF for the CPU, and I wanted to know how much room the Overture has for an HSF -- the pictures I've seen of it seem to show that the upper edge of the motherboard is nearly kissing the 3.5 drive enclousre (example: http://www.bjorn3d.com/Material/Images/428_over_installMoboSktClose.jpg ) -- and my motherboard (A7N8X-E Deluxe) has a similar placement of the CPU socket.

So, my question is, for those that own an Overture, how much of a problem is this with existing HSFs? Are there any that will fit there + be vewy, vewy quiet?

I know a Zalman CNPS7000, Scythe Kamakaze2 and Thermaltake Silent Boost fit.

You might want to get the Kamakaze since it's not so wide.

I had one for a few weeks, it wasn't that quiet. Or let me rephrase. It was not quiet enough for me.

I switched to a Silverstone SST-LC03, now they have another like it called the CS-SST-LC10B. It is quiet, taller so I can put full height cards that would not fit in the overture, and cooler.

Oh and I think it looks more like a hard core Hometheater component also.

I have my HTPC set up in an Overture right now, and I've got some experience with those Zalman CNPS7000A "flower" coolers. I'd say it probably will not fit based on the relation to the CPU socket placement on the A7N8X series. I've got the stock cooler running on a A7N266-VM and heck, I was worried about that fitting, but it wasn't a problem. I'd have to open up my case and grab one of the Zalman coolers here from work to tell you for sure. Even if it does fit it's going to be a pain to get thing thing into the case without tweaking on any of those really flexible copper fins. I think the Scythe or Thermaltake may be a better solution.

Norvac

Back