Antec KUHLER HO 920 CPU Water Cooler Review @ [H]

In regards to the 920, has anyone experimented with switching out the stock fans for a pair of other fans? Say Scythe or Gentle Typhoons?

I have seen a lot of people do this with the Corsair H100's and was just wondering if there is a general consensus or feedback on the subject.

I honestly don't see the need. On my setup, I can hear the pump more than the actual fans. When gaming, my videocards also drown out any possible noise on the 920.

I honestly don't see the need. On my setup, I can hear the pump more than the actual fans. When gaming, my videocards also drown out any possible noise on the 920.

I would have to disagree, the pump on mine is completely silent and at full RPM the fans sound like a commercial hair dryer and they totally drown out all noises in the room. I strongly recommend changing out the fans..

Sounds like something might be wrong with yours to me.

I have used a number of different designs of sealed water coolers, ones manufactured by Asetek, like the Antec's and older Corsairs and ones cured by CoolIt, like the current Corsairs, and never have I been able to hear the pump even with everything else shut off and my head right up near the case.

I hope your pimp isn't about to burn out and dump water all over everything...

I would have to disagree, the pump on mine is completely silent and at full RPM the fans sound like a commercial hair dryer and they totally drown out all noises in the room. I strongly recommend changing out the fans..

When does your system ever go to full RPMs? Mine has never done that unless I manually set it.

I am running 5 GHz and it doesn't even break a sweat.

Zarathustra[H];1038348597 said:
Sounds like something might be wrong with yours to me.

I have used a number of different designs of sealed water coolers, ones manufactured by Asetek, like the Antec's and older Corsairs and ones cured by CoolIt, like the current Corsairs, and never have I been able to hear the pump even with everything else shut off and my head right up near the case.

I hope your pimp isn't about to burn out and dump water all over everything...

Well, I do seem to have a string of bad luck with these these. I previously had an H100 and H80 and both had pumps that made awful grinding noises like a food processor. My 920, I can definitely hear a faint hum and sometimes water trickling. Fans are dead silent on the custom fan profile.

Couldn't he use USB plug, #8 in diagram, which is closer to the CPU ?

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg516/mpetroul/2012-02-13_18-09-13_449.jpg

2012-02-13_18-09-13_449.jpg

Here is a quick photo of my set up. I it on the right side of my case with one fan above the top and one below, it gives me a bit more room in my case.

I really like the included software. It is the only reason I dont upgrade the the H100.
It really doesnt seem right to sell the software with the "link" thing for another 100 after you get all the parts.

Question: Will this thing fit in an Antec 900? Haven't really seen a definitive answer on this.

Question: Will this thing fit in an Antec 900? Haven't really seen a definitive answer on this.

My roommate has the Antec 620 with 2 gelid fans in his Antec 902 case.

I know the rad not as thick, but it does fit.

P.S. Just got my Antec 920 installed today. DEF. keeps my 2500k cooler then the TRUE120 lapped. The only thing I want to bitch about is the USB connector doesnt work. It doesnt even show up in the Device manager.

The Pump and fans work fine. I replaced the fans with 2 120mm Cougar fans...

I thought about getting the Antec Kuhler 920 as I like the USB interface

But I've been reading reviews on New Egg where the USB interface just stops working then people lose control of their pumps/fans.

Has anybody here have had that issue?

What about plugging the fans into the motherboard and bypassing the Kuhler's fan control? ASUS has a pretty advanced 2 head fan controller on their Z77 boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
No issues after many months. Fan control is excellent. USB interface is better than Corsair which makes you physically open your case and press a button and select between three static speeds until you pay another small fortune for their ridiculous control unit.

Very happy with the 620, I currently have it on a 2700k clocked at 4.2 GHz in a quiet system. Need to look at temps again in a couple of days to know for sure, but so far so good. It's in a one-fan Antec Sonata Elite case with the stock replaced with a Noctua.

I replaced board and processor, lost a small part, and Antec was nice enough to mail one out to me as well. It only cost them $0.45 but it's the type of thing I remember when, say, I need a $50 PSU for my Mom's computer and considering brands.

After alot of testing. I have come to the conclusion that m TRUE-120cu Lapped is a better cooler then the antec 920.

Sad but TRUE (pun intended).

After alot of testing. I have come to the conclusion that m TRUE-120cu Lapped is a better cooler then the antec 920.

Sad but TRUE (pun intended).

you said yourself it was better at first. So what made you change your mind?

i love my 920, i even took it apart drained the fluid, and added water wetter and distilled water to drop my temps some.

the 920 matches High end air cooling, yet is quieter, doesn't stress the motherboard from all the weight hanging off it, and vents the hot air out of the case instead.

the 120 true is a great air cooler, i have one actually have the limited edition black. I have a few other high quality cpu coolers, the antec 920 is my favorite by far.

you said yourself it was better at first. So what made you change your mind?

i love my 920, i even took it apart drained the fluid, and added water wetter and distilled water to drop my temps some.

the 920 matches High end air cooling, yet is quieter, doesn't stress the motherboard from all the weight hanging off it, and vents the hot air out of the case instead.

the 120 true is a great air cooler, i have one actually have the limited edition black. I have a few other high quality cpu coolers, the antec 920 is my favorite by far.

The reason I went back was because after 8 hours of prime95 with a 920, and a TRUE120, I got better temps with the TRUE120 (same fans on the TRUE and 920, and same case).

I was very shocked, but It was a good 2-3c better then the 920. The only thing that might of made the TRUE120 better then the 920 was that the TRUE120 was lapped.

Don't get me wrong though, the 920 is a damn good cooler. I just expected better performance over my TRUE120

Anyone have any idea what I can use as replacement pads for the back bracket? I had to pull mine off of my board for RMA?

Well the new 920 has some parts that are not in the instruction manual. Is anyone aware of how the plastic ring in the kit is used?

Good review tho.

Firstly...... excellent review, done properly and presented in a very understandable/enjoyable fashion....Kudos!

This will surely aid me in making my decision....THANX!

I have 2 questions:

1) Since it uses a pump, and the H20 is circulating, isn't there something inside that is the equivalent of "wet water" or anti-freeze. If so, wouldn't long term exposure to this box causes cancer?

2) And what about people who has 2 Xeon CPU? How can you have space to put 2 of these in 1 casing?

I would like to know the same.
Also what about 620? It is affordable

I just want to give mad props to Antec. I needed new pads for my 920 and they just sent them along. A quick support request on their site and bam, new ones in the mail. Impressed.

There are enough CPU coolers on the market now that at this point I'd like a good all-in-one GPU water cooler other than the super-expensive Coolit Omni

The problem with this is that it voids warranty. You need to remove the VRM cooling as well, which the AIO may or may not provide [a replacement for]

Either way, the red mod [http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/official-amd-ati-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-red-mod] is easily do-able, requiring a fan, zip-ties and a AIO CLC unit, or for the fancier version, a bracket from Dwood that secures the fan and cooling block in place tighter http://triptcc.com/

Is the Antec Kuhler H20 920 better than the H100?

Thanks
Astralogic

I would like to know the same.
Also what about 620? It is affordable

I've been comparing the two fervently for the past few days based on numerous reviews, and they always come neck and neck. I bought both though [H100 for CPU, 920 for GPU] so I'll let you guys know my impressions on the noise levels

Back