Antec KÜHLER HO 620 CPU Water Cooler Review @ [H]

Using different voltages would basically compensate for your first argument. I think you're giving the engineers a bit too much credit when it comes to optimizing. I'm guessing performance is one consideration but cost is probably the bigger concern when selecting a fan, otherwise we would see Scythe Gentle Typhoons or more push-pull used in more of these kits.

Good point. I'll bet cost and keeping the per unit price low is a big factor.:)

The review didn't address any concerns about long-term reliability. The review was only concerned with performance immediately after installation, but no one knows if this system will eventually leak and destroy the system it's installed within, or how reliable the pump is.

LOL, i'm sure it's the same with all the reviews for the other liquid cooling systems? Do you expect them to install it and then do a review 7months later to let you know that it's actually durable?

The product is from a well known company, on both ends, so you should be okay.

this unit looks identical to the Corsair H50, just with a different fan and slightly different water block cover, other than that everything else is obviously off someone else's shelf

sev,

We're not hiding the fact that we've partnered with Asetek on this but under the hood there are some substantial differences. A new cooling plate. A fan that's controlled by liquid temperature. Rubber tubing for easier installation.

Well, basically Corsair decided to move away from Asetek to go with Coolit as an OEM and Antec has now taken on the retail of the new Asetek units.
From what I can see after having owned an H50, a Coolit Vantage and now this unit, Asetek have superior waterblocks. Coolit's new generation block (Corsair H60) is only coming on par to Asetek's second generation (Corsair H70). Asetek's 3rd Generation (Antec Kuhler 620) offers superior cooling performance with the same rad.
I like the Coolit retention better however: One does not need to rotate the waterblock on the CPU to install it so it offers more choices for the TIM one can use. Some TIM do not like being spread through a rotation. The rotating mechanism does however offer more flexibility in terms of orientation of the tubes which can be useful in some particular cases.

Hi Jessie,

Would you be able to share the CFM ratings of the fan used in the 620? It could be useful for those looking to pair it with a second fan of similar spec.

No. The tubing can pivot. Have a look here:

osTra

my hopes and dreams are crushed, i don't want pivoting.

Why is pivoting a negative? I don't know much about WC, but this seems like it would make it more versatile and increase compatibility. Are there any downsides I'm not aware of?

this unit looks identical to the Corsair H50, just with a different fan and slightly different water block cover, other than that everything else is obviously off someone else's shelf
Did you even read the review? lol

What thermal paste is on this cooler and how does the paste perform compared to the major pastes?

ordered one of these from amazon for $69-will add a 2nd fan for a nice push/pull setup.

Only problem is Amazon says won't ship till the middle of April to possibly as late as the end of April. That's one hell of a wait. Maybe the 920 version will be available (and reviewed) by then. Prob will have the same availability.

Also: Good question posed above-what TIM is on this. We know whats on the H50/H70

I've still had no luck finding the thermal paste info. I will probably just replace it to be completely sure. Anyone know what the best method of paste application is for a cooler like this? Thank you.

I'd do a pea sized drop. That should be sufficient for the twist and squish install of the block.

I just ordered 2 of these while they are on sale for 59 @ ++++... but i'm curious, where are people getting the screws for attaching the second fan for push/pull? from what i've read asetek reps saying, the kit does not come with the second set.

You can get the screws at any hardware store - 6-32 x 1-¼ inch screws are what you need.

Sorry for the delay guys.

We use a commercial grade of Shin-Etsu X23 that is not available on store shelves. This variant possesses the lowest thermal resistance of any TIM we have tested. For most users, we don't recommend removing the TIM that's pre-applied to the 620 but we also know you guys will do what you want anyway.

@Antec_Jessie,

I'm going to stick with the stock paste. Thank you for checking into it for us. Now I just need to figure out how to orient the cooling unit in my case, the Cooler Master HAF 932. I only have a 140mm fan spot to use at the rear of the case and the Kuhler uses a 120mm fan, I need to think of a way to mount it. Thanks again.

This adapter actually sucks on the 120mm side. I have one and I am having a hard time putting fan screws (even the ones included with the adapter) in the tiny gap.
What I ended up doing is using a Thermalriht TY140 fan. Attach it to the radiator and then used the tabs included in the Noctua NF P14. You can actually also use the Noctua fan straight out if you want. I just liked the TY140 better.
My results using the stock paste are actually quite good so far!

Still, the Archon seems to beat it in both cooling performance and noise levels! And it's a traditional HSF.

1299078124uv9uAuZkkR_3_2.png

1299078124uv9uAuZkkR_3_4.png

What incentive would I have for going to one of these all in one water cooling solutions when a traditional HSF does the same job? And I don't need to worry about corrosion inside the waterblock (even in a contained loop, it sometimes happens) or pump reliability?

Size, Weight, stress on the board... and the results from the HardOCP reviews are leaving me actually quite skeptical. I don't see how the Archon can beat out the H50 by so much. In other reviews I have looked at, the Archon is only better by a degree or two at the most. Not 6. I am questioning the method used by HardOCP to measure the temperature. The fact that they groove the ISF just makes the measurement too dependant on the type of installation. I have actually gained close to 10C going from the Coolit Vantage to the Antec using the same fans (not the ones provided in the box). The Vantage was within a degree of the H50 which I had equipped with much louder fans. The Megahalem was also within 2 degree of the Vantage and the Archon is just a bit better than the Megahalem from the other reviews.
Conclusion my Antec Kuhler is 8C cooler than the Megahalem, 10C cooler than the Vantage and 9C cooler than the H50. I owned all of these. The Archon? I think it would still be at least 7C hotter although I don't own it.
The temp data from this review are way off compared to other reviews and my own experience.

Still, the Archon seems to beat it in both cooling performance and noise levels! And it's a traditional HSF.

1299078124uv9uAuZkkR_3_2.png

1299078124uv9uAuZkkR_3_4.png

What incentive would I have for going to one of these all in one water cooling solutions when a traditional HSF does the same job? And I don't need to worry about corrosion inside the waterblock (even in a contained loop, it sometimes happens) or pump reliability?

Multiple factors I can think of:
Room in case/heatsink height limitations - You get top tier HSF performance in a low profile package
Total case airflow/layout - If you don't have good airflow inside the case, an air cooler is not going to be as effective a liquid cooler which can move the intake point to a case mounted fan or externally mounted fan
RAM heatsink compatibility/accessibility of connectors around CPU socket - some people might want to be able to use taller RAM heatsinks or have access to the DIMM slots without removing HSF. Additionally a few mobos like mine have poorly placed 8-pin CPU power connectors which can interfere with large heatsinks.

can any one confirm if the liquid used in antic 620 electrically conductive or not ?

interesting, I just ordered one of these on thurday, still waiting for it :-(,

also would like to know: where does a customer stand if a unit like this leaks and destroys your hardware, would this be covered under the units warranty???

interesting, I just ordered one of these on thurday, still waiting for it :-(,

also would like to know: where does a customer stand if a unit like this leaks and destroys your hardware, would this be covered under the units warranty???

We would handle something like this in the same manner that we would handle it if one of our power supplies were responsible for damaging hardware - we verify our product leaked and then verify that your other hardware was damaged by the leak. If both are true, then we work with you on finding a solution.

In short, we have no intention of leaving you on your own to find a solution should something like that happen.

We would handle something like this in the same manner that we would handle it if one of our power supplies were responsible for damaging hardware - we verify our product leaked and then verify that your other hardware was damaged by the leak. If both are true, then we work with you on finding a solution.

In short, we have no intention of leaving you on your own to find a solution should something like that happen.

excellent, thank you Jessie, that is very reassuring

Back