Antec High Curent Pro Platinum 1000W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1000W Power Supply Review - When it comes to PSUs, we hear "platinum" getting thrown around a good bit lately, but when you apply that level of efficiency to a 1000 watt PSU, the engineers had better have their ducks in line. Antec is launching a new flagship PSU and the company is making no bones about it, the HCP Platinum 1000W is "the pinnacle of power supplies."

Last edited:
Funny I was just hoping for a review on this earlier today...great unit though!.
Interesting the fan is somewhat loud at 75%+, from what I've heard the HCP-1200 got rather loud according to a few here on the forums. My SG-650w has been whisper quiet as well with the 80mm fan so I hope it's just a fluke that the review unit was that loud and throttled the way it did.

I doubt there was anything "fluke" about it.

Yeah, Delta fans are generally considered to be really high quality but not exactly quiet so I kind of doubt it was a fluke.

It's a shame they had to make such a big deal about the "Platinum" aspect when they obviously knew it wouldn't actually get there (based on them saying the results you got were to be expected). That puts a rather a large dampener on this PSU and on Antec themselves imo. If they're stretching the truth on this, what else will they stretch the truth on? I'll ignore it this once when looking for a new PSU, based on their excellent quality in the past, but too much more of this and they'll be off my short list of companies to buy a PSU off.

Thanks for a great review, as per usual :D

It's a shame they had to make such a big deal about the "Platinum" aspect when they obviously knew it wouldn't actually get there (based on them saying the results you got were to be expected). That puts a rather a large dampener on this PSU and on Antec themselves imo. If they're stretching the truth on this, what else will they stretch the truth on? I'll ignore it this once when looking for a new PSU, based on their excellent quality in the past, but too much more of this and they'll be off my short list of companies to buy a PSU off.

Thanks for a great review, as per usual :D

You won't believe how often stretching the truth happens... it's just rare to see it with a company like Antec who has had a good track record so far with their high-end PSUs.

Oh I believe it... I'm just a little suprised to see it from Antec. Good will only goes so far.

You guys think that platinum 650 watt antec platinum for $ 70 is a good price that is listed in the hot deals section currently.

You guys think that platinum 650 watt antec platinum for $ 70 is a good price that is listed in the hot deals section currently.

I absolutely love Antec power supplies to the point I guess I'm a fanboy...it's definitely a great deal.

So the only reason this unit got a Silver and not Gold is because of the marketing? Because based on the review you said it was in the "top 3", the other two of which got a Gold rating.

So the only reason this unit got a Silver and not Gold is because of the marketing? Because based on the review you said it was in the "top 3", the other two of which got a Gold rating.

Well its like was stated in the article. Calling the marketing just dishonest is generous (then again if product managers didn't lie to customers we wouldn't have jobs ;) ), the efficiency is nowhere near claimed (which almost earned it a fail), and it is a solid third behind it's other competitors. There is simply no way this unit is a Gold unit based on those three issues.

Back