antec earthwatts 650w power lead too short?

yariman

n00b
Ive got an the psu in the title plus a p5q pro mobo, ninja heatsink and an antec 300 case.

The psu sits at the bottom and on the pq5 the 8pin connector sits at the top above the cpu. The ninja hovers over it a bit. The 8pin cord from the psu is barely longenough to make it over the graphics card and around the ninja.

Im wondering can i extend this cord?
How dangerous is having the cord touching the side of a heatsink cooler. Even if the cord is long enough i think it will touch just before it bends to enter the connection. How hot do the coolers get? hot enough to melt the rubber coatings on wires?

I also have an 8pin pci express cable which is slighly longer than the current one. Can I use that to power the mobo. Sorry im clueless on what can connect to what and the antec manual doesnt talk about this.

Do NOT use the PCI-e cable to power the MB. You can buy extenders on pretty much any computer store on-line. I've had power cords touch the fins of a heatsink, but they never even got warm, so it depends on your setup I'd say.

Ive got an the psu in the title plus a p5q pro mobo, ninja heatsink and an antec 300 case.

The psu sits at the bottom and on the pq5 the 8pin connector sits at the top above the cpu. The ninja hovers over it a bit. The 8pin cord from the psu is barely longenough to make it over the graphics card and around the ninja.

Im wondering can i extend this cord?
How dangerous is having the cord touching the side of a heatsink cooler. Even if the cord is long enough i think it will touch just before it bends to enter the connection. How hot do the coolers get? hot enough to melt the rubber coatings on wires?

I also have an 8pin pci express cable which is slighly longer than the current one. Can I use that to power the mobo. Sorry im clueless on what can connect to what and the antec manual doesnt talk about this.

How are you running the cable over the PCIE card? Often you can just go under the card (on either side of the PCIE slot) then put the card in over it and it should reach fine.

I agree with Ocellaris, try and find a smarter way to route the cables closer to the motherboard. I've struggled with my Antec 200 as well with getting power chords to where they need to go, I have thought about drilling holes in the back of the case to route the cables behind the mobo tray, but haven't done that yet (might be another good idea). I'm not sure how similar our cases our. Good luck

An extension cable will work. You also don't have to worry about the heatsink melting the wire or anything like that, it will never get that hot.

thanks guys for the replies. Yeah i realised just after my post what the express cable was for so never attached it. Yeah i just noticed i can pass it UNDER the graphics card around the slot rather than over it. Ill rejig it and if things seem a bit tight still ill get an extension.

Thanks again!

Back