antec 300 for core i7?

spintroniX

Gawd
Hey all, I'm looking at doing a cheap i7 build and have been eyeballing the antec 300. Does anyone have any experience with such a setup? I plan on adding two front 120mm fans, so I don't think airflow will be an issue. My only concern is if it will fit the large hsf units, such as the CM V8

Yes it will fit (1/4" clearance from side panel) but you can get Xigmatek Dark Knight for $25 less and works almost as well (within 3-5 degrees).

i just bought the same case for an i7 build. it's a temporary solution for me, though. waiting on the Xigmatek Midgard to ship in the US. heh.

the rest of my gear should be here tomorrow or friday. if you can wait that long, i can give you more details on how it goes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

that's the cooler i'll be using, a Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v

the build:

Antec 300 case
CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W power supply
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel i7 920 d0 stepping CPU
XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V CPU cooler
OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM
MSI R4890-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 4890 1GB vid card
WD VelociRaptor 150GB OS drive
WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB file storage drive

Been working fine for me using all of the available case fan mounts. Running a Thermalright HR-01+ and low fan speeds with very reasonable temps. Be more worried about your video cards and the hard drive cage. This wasn't a problem for me as I only have 3 HDD's and put them all on the lower half.

I had my i7 920 and asus p6t in there for months before I had to get a new case for my sli set up.

I have a mugen2 and I had to remove the fan on top of the case for clearance but other than that it all fit in nice -

p6t
Asus 260gtx
2x raptor 72Gb
pc power and cooling 750 watt

My gear came in this morning, and thankfully no DOAs, so I'm up and running at stock CPU settings but with the aftermarket cooler. the exact hardware is listed in one of my previous posts. here's a quick and dirty photo of my setup. so far, i'm still running with the sides off, and all i've installed is th 64-bit Windows 7 release candidate. so far so good.

cable management is ok. there'sno removable motherboard tray, but there is quite a bit of room between the 3.5" drive mounting rails and the side panel behind the mobo, so you can tuck a bunch in there, which is what i did. all in all, it's a pretty great deal, if you need a small case.

antec300-i7.jpg
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/22631/antec300-i7.jpg

Last edited:
Back