another WRT54G question

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by lone wolf, Sep 27, 2006.

1. lone wolf

lone wolf Gawd

Hello All

I just replaced and was given a WRT54G ver2 router with a WRV200 wireless router. The reason was to separate their wireless network from one they are giving their clients, and this router allows multiple SSIDs. So far the only challenge with this router is the rebooting after almost every change, but so far it is a great router past post Now that I have this router I am wanting to play around with it some...I have seen several members say that they have flashed this router with a 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt). Question: what does this do for the router? Does it increase the potential of this device?

Thanks in advance

2. mobiux

mobiux 2[H]4U

It gives you many more options than just what linksys gives you, vpns, AP only mode, you can adjust almot every option imaginable. My favorite is the power output. normally 28mw, running at 80 mw now with no problems and probably 2x distance coverage.

I would highly recommend checking it out.

3. lone wolf

lone wolf Gawd

Ok, so after almost all night and some of today playing with the DD-WRT firmware, I have to say that it is easier to manuver around in menus. One thing that i have noticed is that when i do a speed test, I only get 512kb, but when i downloaded a file from Microsoft I was downloading around 485-509kbs, which rocks! So I'm a little confused on this, but so far so good.
    I'm always weary about messing with the firmware on a router/switch, just years of reflashing others that have tried to mess around with them i guess.