Another "What motherboard" thread

MadFlava

Limp Gawd
Im doing my first system upgrade in a long while. Im all twisted up on motherboard choices tho so I thought I'd ask for some advice. Here's what I have in my cart right now.. Im not interested in overclocking whatsoever, Im mainly just interested in stablity and bells and whistles like RAID supprt, onboard audio, etc.

-EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
-G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
-ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Item #: N82E16813131025
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

I really wanted to stay with an Intel chipset board because my AMD experience with Nvidia has been less than stellar. Im still running an Nforce3 board tho so maybe they've gotten better.

Any suggestions anyone can give would be appreciated.

I would go for the ASUS P5K Deluxe personally. It is a far better overclocker and has better memory performance and support for 45nm CPUs. Yes the P5W DH can support 1333MHz FSB CPUs, but the jury is still out on Penryn support.

A lot of the reviews on that board seem to mention SATA problems. Have the SATA problems been traced back to most cables issues or is it a board problem? I got plenty of SATA cables so I probably wouldnt use the ones they include.

Thanks guys :)

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the P5K Deluxe. Hopefully it works out :)

A lot of the reviews on that board seem to mention SATA problems. Have the SATA problems been traced back to most cables issues or is it a board problem? I got plenty of SATA cables so I probably wouldnt use the ones they include.

Thanks guys :)

I had no problems with my review sample, and Morry didn't with his P5K3 Deluxe. I'd say you are good to go.

I think you will be very pleased with the P5K Deluxe, I would buy one if I weren't using an SLI configuration.

Back