Another upgrade suggestion thread

seanx

2[H]4U
Just looking for some quick input before I lay the money down.

Currently I am running a EVGA 8600 GT with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition and Im looking to upgrade to a EVGA GTX 260.

EVGA GTX 260

Is this going to be a significantly noticeable upgrade, or is there another card I should be looking at.

$200 is about my limit right now, so this is looking to be the right price also.

It is quite a good upgrade actually. I am just a bit worried about your CPU. You maybe getting CPU limited possibly?

do NOT get a strong card like a gtx260 if you plan on keeping that 5000 X2. I had the same 8600gt and 5000 X2 setup as you and no card could delver better minimum framerates in newer games than the 8600gt becasue of the wimpy cpu. a 5000 X2 is severely mismatched for a any decent card in most newer games.

Well I went ahead and placed my order.

Honestly Im looking to slowly upgrade the whole machine so at least Ill have a good start.

Thanks for the replies though guys, at least I know I am getting a decent card, just need to work on the rest of my system.

Well I went ahead and placed my order.

Honestly Im looking to slowly upgrade the whole machine so at least Ill have a good start.
well you will be much happier overall when you get a better cpu to go with that. with your 5000 X2 literally 2/3 to 3/4 of what the gtx260 is capable of is going right down the crapper.

Back