Another successful x800 pro to XT mod - here's how

I agree and he has been re-instated.

However, when you are already on thin ice, you should watch how you word your comments.

On that note, lets get this thread back on topic, shall we?

I didn't know that I was on thin ice, sorry Ice for the mixup. I thought your post was great and that you were being humorous. I was talking about your well worded paragraph being a nice educated way of saying grow up. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I’m interested in knowing the success rate with the VIVO Gigabyte cards. Has anyone used one of these?

Pro successfully modded into an X800 XT PE.

Having two problems that I'll somehow fix :

1. ATI Tool won't show me the 3D View. It says "must have pixel shader 1.1" or something around those lines.

2. On webpages, IRC, etc., it looks as though its flipping through a book. Like, when I scroll up and down, it looks like it's at 1fps. I'll try rebooting.

At any rate, got the 16 pipelines and what seems to be a quite stable core :)

Jaden said:
Pro successfully modded into an X800 XT PE.

Having two problems that I'll somehow fix :

1. ATI Tool won't show me the 3D View. It says "must have pixel shader 1.1" or something around those lines.

2. On webpages, IRC, etc., it looks as though its flipping through a book. Like, when I scroll up and down, it looks like it's at 1fps. I'll try rebooting.

At any rate, got the 16 pipelines and what seems to be a quite stable core :)

you video card driver installed and running? directx?

Yes, I suppose I'll try driver cleaner and reinstall them again. I can't play any games atm, says I can't run open gl :)

def sounds like u need to reinstall drivers. every symptom u described points to that.

Windows doesnt ship with openGL drivers, you can't use ps features without the proper driver, and choppy webpages ALWAYS happens to me when my drivers arent installed.

Yep :) I cleaned the drivers and reinstalled!

3dMark 2001SE X800 pro @ stock : 24.3K
3dMark 2001SE X800 XT PE @ stock : 25.8K

:)

Will be doing 2k3 in a bit.

2k3 w/ X800pro @ stock : 10.1k
2k3 w/ X800XT @ 500/500 (vpu recover :( ) : 11.3k

did u flash with gigabyte x800xt bios?
have u flash it again to powercolor x800xt or ati x800xt bios?
u can flash back to original powercolor x800pro bios n see if 16 pipelines are still there.. that way u can just o/c the card to xt level, etc n might fix up that opengl prob.

Just thought I would post a success with a Saphire VIVO. I can't get ati tool to work so Im not sure of the clock speeds, but my 3dmark03 score went from 9900 before flash to 12k after. Now if only ATI would get some better open gl drivers out ;)

Recieved my powercolor x800 pro vivo today and successfully enabled the 16 pipes. So far, everything seems stable at 520/515 using the x800pro bios. I had problems when I tried to overclock using the x800xt bios.

Did you guys use my guide in the first post? Wow, I'm proud... good work, enjoy your great hardware. :cool:

Kolya said:
I’m interested in knowing the success rate with the VIVO Gigabyte cards. Has anyone used one of these?
Gigabyte VIVO cards come with the 16 pipes already enabled.

laja said:
Did you guys use my guide in the first post? Wow, I'm proud... good work, enjoy your great hardware. :cool:

Hey Sorry I didn't say it earlier but thanks! Couple things that were off:
Make BIOS backup:
flashrom -s 0 X800Pro_original.bin

If you put the 0 there it wont work....

Flash to ATi XT BIOS:
flashrom -f -p 0 ATIX800XT-filename.bin

This one i'm just curious why anyone would bother. When you install it, it just omces up as a radeon x800 XT PE....

Other than that it worked out great :D

Some people reportedly achieved higher overclocks with the original AT BIOS. But that step is optional, as I think it's written above in the guide.

After I modded my card it would work but running it at X800 XT speeds it would freeze everynow and again. 520/560. I checked my voltage on card and it was 1.3 volts and the X800 XT is 1.4 volts. After changing the voltage to 1.4 volts the machine runs stable at 550/595. So if anyone is having problems with there card check out this websit

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=817&s=1

It will help you in overclocking your video card

Kolya said:
Got mine today, 16 pipes straight out of the box, now overclocked to 529/550.
I love my Gigabyte, me hugs card.
Des.

just flat out, what card manufacturer would be the best to do this? powercolor, saphire, gigabyte.. ect. One that has a 80% sucess rate? I want one of these soo baad! I need money.

Just wanted to let everybody know this softmod works wonderfully. I just got a Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro TOXIC. It has VIVO and a big-ass cooling system (VGA Silencer 4 I believe) so its pretty much perfect for this. I overclocked it to 520/560 at first just to see if it could handle the XT PE speeds and it handled them without a hitch, so I flashed away. Flashed the Gigabyte BIOS on there. For now, I'm leaving it there. I did play with ATITool and got the core to 560 and memory to about 585, but I think I'm going to leave it at xt pe speeds.

benches:

before:
aquamark=20759
3dmark01=16693
3dmark03=9070

after:
aquamark=21332
3dmark01=17291
3dmark03=10319

I didn't have to mod it to run 1.4v like some people said, but perhaps if I decide to see just how far it can go I should flash the ATI BIOS and get it to 1.4v...

Newegg will soon have an Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO (non-TOXIC) because they sent me the wrong card when I ordered my TOXIC! Had to order from a different place to get it and am sending the X800 Pro VIVO back tomorrow.

otakucode

Does anyone have a simple-english guide "walkthrough" for doing this? I've never flashed bios before, so I'm a little confused on some of the things, like where it says "filename.bin", where do I find the filename and whatnot? If anyone has a link to a site with a simple walkthrough or can explain it here, that would be helpful. Call me a n00b all you want, I'll accept it, but I do need the help. Ordering my powercolor x800 pro vivo right now, want to get ready for flashing asap. Thanks in advance.

fastcoke11 said:
Does anyone have a simple-english guide "walkthrough" for doing this? I've never flashed bios before, so I'm a little confused on some of the things, like where it says "filename.bin", where do I find the filename and whatnot? If anyone has a link to a site with a simple walkthrough or can explain it here, that would be helpful. Call me a n00b all you want, I'll accept it, but I do need the help. Ordering my powercolor x800 pro vivo right now, want to get ready for flashing asap. Thanks in advance.

Its really simple. Since your getting a powercolor your going to have to flash with the gigabyte flashrom/bios.

So boot to dos and type:
GVF11 -P -F R80X256V.f1

Thats it, you now have an XT.

I would recommend doing a back up of your vivo bios in case your card cannot do XT speeds. Out of 4 cards that I've done 1 was not able to achieve those speeds on air cooling even with the voltage mod.

To back up your bios use these commands:
GVF11 -s X800VIVO.bin (You can name it whatever you wish this is just an example)

If you want to do the ATI XT bios then you will need flashrom 2.37 along with the ATI bios linked at the beggining of the thread. Use these commands to flash to the ATI BIOS.
flashrom -p 0 x800xt.bin -f

Thats it. Remember you have to do the gigabyte flash first to unlock the 4 pipes.

Good luck!!

I purchased a Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO and followed the standard flashing procedure ending with going back to the original bios. Now the fan is completly off and it never turns on. Is this just because I am not tasking the card enough? I ran DOOM III for about 3min and it still didn't turn on, but it also hasnt been breaking up at all...

Is this normal or defective? Could it be my fault? Thanks!

SSODR said:
I purchased a Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO and followed the standard flashing procedure ending with going back to the original bios. Now the fan is completly off and it never turns on. Is this just because I am not tasking the card enough? I ran DOOM III for about 3min and it still didn't turn on, but it also hasnt been breaking up at all...

Is this normal or defective? Could it be my fault? Thanks!

I take the heatsinks off to clean up the pound of thermal grease they put on there and one time I forgot to plug in the fan. The card got extremely hot running 3d apps. I would not run it that way and would definately get a replacement or even rig the fan to run off your 5 volt power...

Also the fans are never off on ATi cards they are always running 2d or in 3d....

otakucode said:
Just wanted to let everybody know this softmod works wonderfully. I just got a Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro TOXIC. It has VIVO and a big-ass cooling system (VGA Silencer 4 I believe) so its pretty much perfect for this. I overclocked it to 520/560 at first just to see if it could handle the XT PE speeds and it handled them without a hitch, so I flashed away. Flashed the Gigabyte BIOS on there. For now, I'm leaving it there. I did play with ATITool and got the core to 560 and memory to about 585, but I think I'm going to leave it at xt pe speeds.

:D RIGHT ON MAN! Got this card too and it's B@D @$$ It'll do 550/600 like butter. I'm with you though, gonna keep it at XE PE speeds. Overdrive sayz it's 40C @ 520 so I'm stoked. When NewEgg gets back in stock pick on up peeps.

Teh Hotness

Well the second card I modded is not so good. It's a HIS Iceq pro VIVO with the Arctic Cooling Silencer 4 on it. It has 1.6 ns Samsung RAM, and the flash opened up all 16 pipes, but this damn card produces artifacts at virtually anything above the stock pro speeds. Have no idea why. Many others have reported success with these cards; however, three of us at the rage3d forum have this same problem. No matter which BIOS is used.

I would just like to report that my MSI RX800 Pro-TD256 (VIVO) card is now running at XT speeds with 16 pipes after doing the bios flash. Downloading 3D marks 03 now to see what scores i get.

Easiest mod I have ever done :D

-Brian

I bought an ATI Radeon x800 Pro from newegg.com , The manufacturer is ATI(Has the Bull man with the axe on the front cover). Are these able to be flashed to XT PE? Please let me know! I hope im not totally screwed =p.
:confused:

I just got a Powercolor X800 Pro VIVO from futurepowerpc.com (avoid these asshats.)

I flashed, reflashed, back and forth again and again.

No luck. Still 12 pipelines according to ATiTools, no matter what. :(

When I flash with the Gigabyte bios, it clocks the card at 560/520. But with still 12 pipelines.

I guess I wasted my money on this card. This sucks especially because I waiting three weeks because of a backorder. Bastards.

-Ed

Edwood said:
I just got a Powercolor X800 Pro VIVO from futurepowerpc.com (avoid these asshats.)

When I flash with the Gigabyte bios, it clocks the card at 560/520. But with still 12 pipelines.

I guess I wasted my money on this card. This sucks especially because I waiting three weeks because of a backorder. Bastards.

-Ed
This might sound like a silly question, but have you been using the gigabyte flashing tool to flash or flashrom? The gigabyte tool is the key to unlocking the disabled pipes.

Pop off your heatsink and check for the laser cut. There are some rare reports of VIVO's coming with the laser cuts disabling the 4 pipes.....You may end up having to do the hardmod anyway :(

Edwood said:

-Ed

see this article: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/100

Sounds like this would work on non-vivo cards if someone would go into the xt-pe bios roms and take out the vivo coding...

~Adam

Back