Another Seagate bites the dust

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
About 4 years ago I made the mistake of buying another Seagate, this time an SSHD. It croaked now of course. I've had 100% failure rate with Seagates. Some claim they had a Seagate that survived. I call it an urban myth!

Hello B00nie, sorry that your SSHD has encountered problems. What was the problem the drive gave you?

Four years, well isn't that getting into the normal HD failure time? Being an SSHD I don't see that would make a difference it's a spinner with a big buffer really. I do have some Seagates that didn't fail they aren't myth (but I have had one that did fail, and I think another is going out...though it's near six and set to spin down after 15 minutes but always "on")...I can't prove this however ;).

Never had a HDD fail on me me drive are more than 10 years old i believe. (2x 300wd velociraptor and 4x 1tb samsung drives)
ive had all kinds of brands: ibm hitachi seagate samsung WD Maxtor. i never bought toshiba drive since they did not offer a test tool

Never had an HD fail (in 30 years). Seagate, Quantum, Maxtor, IBM, Hitachi, WD, Toshiba,...

I'm available for testimonials. :)

I have 4 Seagates in this machine. All but 1 are 3+ yrs old, the 4th one is a Firecuda about 2 months old. Only drives I ever really had nightmares with were the IBM Deathstars...the 75GXPs. All 8 I bought failed incredibly quickly. The good old days..heh...

Only drives I ever really had nightmares with were the IBM Deathstars...the 75GXPs. All 8 I bought failed incredibly quickly. The good old days..heh...

Luckily I got an 80GB Maxtor instead. It still works.

I've never had problems with them and look at it as Seagate drives failing being the myth because I've never suffered that problem myself.

Let's contemplate. Do these failed drives live in a very hot case/climate? Is it possible these failing drives are in super humid conditions? High altitude? Low altitude? Vibrations from frequent earthquakes? Frequent electrical power outages? Extreme hot/cold cycles? Are these drives in systems that sleep/hibernate or are shut off every night vs being always on?

I'm kidding, but I'm not, lol!

I've got some EIDE Seagate drives that still work.

But, being honest, when I moved from spinny metal to SSD's, I stopped using Seagate.

Personally, I pick a drive based on the controller manufacturer, instead of who's label is on the drive. But, I bought a 3TB HDD a year ago, it's a Seagate, and it has given me 0 problems thus far.

Back in the day, I used to use Maxtor drives. They failed, generally, after 6 months of use. But, this is back when 80GB was HUGE, and I just thought it was normal for a drive to poop itself every half a year. Then I got a WD, and it died after a month... So I did research, and bought a Seagate 80GB, and never switched back since then.

I've had 3 deathstars that were running without any issue until I tossed them because of old age.
One of 4 Seagate 3TB NAS drives died, and I was biting my nails until the re-silver went through.

Most of the drives I had over the years were WD. One raptor died on me and was replaced under warranty, and a 500GB WD as well.
But individual testimonials don't mean much due to the small volume.

I had a server with 6 or so drives. Two were seagates and both died within a month of each other. One just out of warranty and one had a little left. Did the rma (which I have to say was excellent) and the replacement lasted only like 90 days and was then out of warranty as well.

I have an 11 year old Hitachi thats been running basically 24/7 since I got it.

I've had all major brands fail on me at one point or another, except Samsung. I bought 3 Samsung 2TB F4 drives 6 years ago and they are still running great.
sansung-2TB-F4-drives.jpg

I've had all major brands fail on me at one point or another, except Samsung. I bought 3 Samsung 2TB F4 drives 6 years ago and they are still running great.
For sure those were great drives, I think I still have one or two left myself.

For sure those were great drives, I think I still have one or two left myself.

I just replaced 2 of mine with 2 Western Digital 4TB drives and I have 6 more in my servers (I have 11 in all). Never had a problem with any of them - never even a single error in all the time I've had them. I wish there were larger drives in that series, I'd buy them all! Sucks that I'm having to replace them just for more space.

Last edited:
I just replaced 2 of mine with 4TB drives and I have 6 more in my servers (I have 11 in all). Never had a problem with any of them - never even a single error in all the time I've had them. I wish there were larger drives in that series, I'd buy them all! Sucks that I'm having to replace them just for more space.
Yeah I hear you, I didn't even realize they made 4TB drives of those.

No, they don't (to my knowledge), I replaced them with Western Digital drives. My wording kinda sucked.
Ahh yes that makes more sense. I'm in the same boat, expansion makes more sense raising the size of the drives than a bigger server. I'm nervous though not having any real redundancy, 4-8 TB is a lot to lose.

I'm currently using one of those 8TB WD externals that have often been on sale as a backup.

I've only had 2 drives ever fail on me, and both were Seagate. Never bought another Seagate after the 2nd one failed. The first one that failed I thought it could just be chance, the 2nd showed me a pattern.

Back