Another Satisfied Crossfire Customer!!!!!

PSYKOMANTIS

[H]ard|Gawd
IMG_0714.jpg

:( sorry for my shit cable management. Soon I'll have it cleaned up. No windows for this case though. that shit is an old school steel FLAT desktop box I ressurected from a 233 Pentium 2 desktop system.

More pics here...
My Photo Gallery WWW.PSYKOMANTIS.COM

Man I'm loving this crossfire.

No problems setting up, a gem to configure, and HELLA FAST.
I'm maxing out my 21" Trinitron FINALLY!!!!
I bought this monitor like nearly 4 years ago and I never thought I'd ever crack 1280X1024.
Everything I play is 2048X1536@75hz... wholy shit is all I really can say...

The bigger question is... What's Next???!
I could have not made this purchase or set this all up without the help of the [H]ard forums and it's users.

Thanks guys for helping me make a good decision and answering any questions I had.

PSYKOMANTIS said:
that shit is an old school steel FLAT desktop box I ressurected from a 233 Pentium 2 desktop system.

I see you're going for that "sleeper"look :)

Funny cos I got my crossfire card in the mail today. Aside from a score of 9500 in 3dmark06
There was absolutely no difference that I could tell in FEAR, GRAW, or Oblivion...

I'm steaming pissed. Spent 500 all i get is the same minimum fps with all the fps that were already over 60 to be even higher...

::Sigh::

I'm using Cat 6.5 and did a fresh install, enabled crossfire. Ran 3dmark06, got happy. But it was all down hill from there.

All my games are up to date too, btw. Latest bios for A8R32, using 2GB OCZ ram @ 250 Opteron 170 @ 2.75, x1900xtx+x1900 CF@ 650/1550, X-Fi Fatality. Everything is perfectly cooled too...

Was I expecting too much? Anyone interested in a CF card I'm selling?

WHat resolutions.... Crossfire shines and SLI in higher resoltuions, like 1600 x 1200 + and eye candy on, lower res most games you wont see an improvement.

I agree, it's more about resolution, and all the filtered settings you can run on your games after the fact.

Some games are CPU limited and really do not pull much from the video cards.
Also mind you Oblivion's latest patch gives crossfire users a decrease in performance because ATi did not LIST Oblivion under supported games or something (sounds like a crybaby complaining that their game is not adequate enough.

Just wait your setup will pay off in spades! I'm seeing a difference.

Example:
BF2 I'm running 2048 X 1536 (an UNHEARD RESOLUTION on my 6800GT)
Not only with 6XAA but the Temporal, Adaptive AA, and 16X filtering.
And she still runs WAY above 60FPS.

That to me shows crossfire is WORKING hard for the money.

1680x1050 NEC 20wmgx2.

I know its tempting to think that I"m a noob and don't know what the hell I'm doing... but seriously, I've tried many things and still get crap performance

I know to use high AA and AF. I always use 16xHQAF. With crossfire I get to use 4xAA instead of 2xAA but that's it...

Like I said, the real problem is the minimum framerates which still suck. On a 4xAA 16xAF bench in FEAR I got:

Single x1900xtx:
21 - minimum
36 - average
60 - max
---------
7% - <25fps
62% - 25-40 fps
31% - >40 fps

With Crossfire:
22 - minimum
41 - average
61 - max
--------
3% - <25fps
46% - 25-40 fps
51% - >40 fps

Soft shadows on? Too much overclock?

I mean, I get better performance than that with my single x1900xtx at 16x12. Even when running at stock speeds (opty 175)

BTW: Uninstall your cat 6.5 and install these drivers:

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/ati/ati catalyst-6.3-2kxp-cc-cp-whql.exe

Don't install the CCC with the drivers, select the control panel instead. The performance is much better than the cat 6.5's give.

BBA said:
Soft shadows on? Too much overclock?

I mean, I get better performance than that with my single x1900xtx at 16x12. Even when running at stock speeds (opty 175)

BTW: Uninstall your cat 6.5 and install these drivers:

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/ati/ati catalyst-6.3-2kxp-cc-cp-whql.exe

Don't install the CCC with the drivers, select the control panel instead. The performance is much better than the cat 6.5's give.

Does this work with crossfire???

Thanks.

gersson said:
1680x1050 NEC 20wmgx2.

I know its tempting to think that I"m a noob and don't know what the hell I'm doing... but seriously, I've tried many things and still get crap performance

I know to use high AA and AF. I always use 16xHQAF. With crossfire I get to use 4xAA instead of 2xAA but that's it...

Like I said, the real problem is the minimum framerates which still suck. On a 4xAA 16xAF bench in FEAR I got:

Single x1900xtx:
21 - minimum
36 - average
60 - max
---------
7% - <25fps
62% - 25-40 fps
31% - >40 fps

With Crossfire:
22 - minimum
41 - average
61 - max
--------
3% - <25fps
46% - 25-40 fps
51% - >40 fps
Something is definitely not functioning correctly with you CF setup. I just set my settings to the same as yours to do a little benching.
1680x1050 4xAA, 16xAF, All settings MAX - STOCK 7900GTX's in SLI

36 - Minimum
74 - Average
165 - Maximum

0% - <25fps
10% - 25-40fps
90% - >40fps

Knowing that my GTX's are usually a little slower than X1900's in FEAR, there's def something not correct with you numbers. I say, lower the OC on your opty a bit to around 2.6 to see if that makes any difference (I've had weird issues going over 2.55 on my 4400+)

PSYKOMANTIS said:
Does this work with crossfire???

Thanks.

No. You must run CCC for Crossfire to work.

And Gersson, I have a very similar setup, and I get better numbers across the board with CF enabled in all the games you listed except FEAR.

I can't compare FEAR scores since I gave that POS away last year (no widescreen support or even a decent hack for widescreen really colored my opinion of the game, played about halfway through and uninstalled it). That said, FEAR is definately a game that takes advantage of SLI/Crossfire.

Silly question...have you set Cat AI to Advanced?

Resolution is what matters. My system is capable of far more than the 1600x1200 that it gets now. I really need another monitor.

Well, I renamed GRAW to afr-friendlyd3d.exe and it really helped. Oblivion gives me random results. Sometimes I get great FPS other times about single card outdoors.

FEAR is doing a little better. But GRAW had the biggest improvement. There is still hope.

BTW, even though I am using the Oblivion chuck patch with Cat 6.5 and am forcing 4xAA in CCC it seems like it's not working with HDR...

Any ideas?

Hey Psychomantis, i hope you got you got your boxer shorts and a pitcher of KoolAid ready, coz those 2 cards are gonna make your room like a sauna with all that heat. I know this coz i own only a single 1900xt and it's blazing hot in my room after a few hours of gaming.

My XT's are no match for my air conditioning. Not everyone lives in a dorm room! :p

Just teasing really.

&ru said:
Hey Psychomantis, i hope you got you got your boxer shorts and a pitcher of KoolAid ready, coz those 2 cards are gonna make your room like a sauna with all that heat. I know this coz i own only a single 1900xt and it's blazing hot in my room after a few hours of gaming.

LOL pretty funny you bring that up.
I'll start my PC with my room at 75-8 degrees.
2 hours later I'm easily pushing 88 degrees. Depends on the humidity.

And that's in a room with a ceiling fan and a window.

FTW I got more power now!

Says XTX in his sig probably just added a CF into the mix. I run mine with an XT. The one I've had since launch. $500 versus $600 back then. Don't know what XTX with XTX is supposed to be.

Hey your crossfire edition is in the bottom? Guess it works either way. Or am I backwards! :eek:

I have in the system:

ATi X1900 CrossFire Edition Card
ATi X1900XTX Card
RD480 Motherboard from MSI

The Crossfire Master board goes on the far end of the PC.
The Slave card goes near where a traditional AGP card would go (if the board was AGP LOL)

Nice. I have an X1800XT and a CF board, so I've been on the look out for a good deal on a X1800CFE. Glad to see you're happy with it. Enjoy your gaming ;)

You can run fear at any res you want, just place the values in the ini file in your my documents folder.

Gersson 's benchmarks look like he had vsync on either in the ccc or the game.

Now for the bad news....no Crossfire support in Vista yet. :(

Can't use Overdrive either...no tabs for either one.

gersson said:
BTW, even though I am using the Oblivion chuck patch with Cat 6.5 and am forcing 4xAA in CCC it seems like it's not working with HDR...
Any ideas?

Oblivion is the only game where CCC forced AA does not work with my comp. I have to select AA from Oblivion options, then it works.

PSYKOMANTIS, My 3dmark06 score shot up 150 points when I changed the position of the cards. I had the lower one be crossfire. When I switched them, and did that only, it went up 150 points. You may want to switch them around just in case your missing out on a few fps.

PSYKOMANTIS said:
LOL pretty funny you bring that up.
I'll start my PC with my room at 75-8 degrees.
2 hours later I'm easily pushing 88 degrees. Depends on the humidity.

And that's in a room with a ceiling fan and a window.

FTW I got more power now!

Look on the bright side, at least when winter comes, you're set!

Back