Another help me select my HTPC components thread

bchinfoon

n00b
So after spending awhile contemplating the HTPC vs PS3 I think I've decided on a HTPC. I'm not really that interested in console gaming anymore and I'd like the ability to play random anime series encoded in various formats the PS3 doesn't support. This will be used strictly as a HTPC, no gaming at all.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Case: Antec NSK2480
MB: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU: Athlon 5000+
CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja Mini
RAM: G-Skill 2 x 1GB
Blu-Ray: Lite-On DH-401S
HD: Seagate 250GB
TV Card: Sapphire Radeon Theatrix 650 PRO TV Tuner

Total cost is approximately $610. I think that's a decent price considering the fact I didn't spend much time looking for deals. Also, I'm currently ripping all my content onto a 1TB external drive I have.

Open to suggestions. :D

Your build looks pretty solid, not overbuilt like so many are. It's probably worth mentioning that with that hardware, you won't be transcoding as quickly as you might with a Core2Duo or Quad.

Depending on how much TV you plan to record, you may think about bumping up the size of that hard drive. Figure 2-3GB/hour if you don't transcode. Out of curiosity, why did you opt for an external drive for your rips?

Oh, it's not actually an external drive. I just have it in an enclosure for now. I hadn't decided yet if I was going to put the drive in my Quad Core box or not, so I've been using it in an enclosure.

Would the 9150e be a better choice of processor?

What you have is more than sufficient for everything up to and including 1080p BluRay movies. I only mentioned the CPU speed because for a (very) few people need more. If you're not transcoding several hours of content every single day, the X2 5000 will be just fine. If you're just ripping (not transcoding), then the CPU doesn't factor in much at all.

I may record a show here or there. I'm curious. If I want it to be transcoded, do programs do that on the fly, or do you have to set that up after it's been recorded?

I was thinking if I did record uncompressed video I could set it up to transcode while I'm sleeping. Unless of course it does it on the fly; which would be great!

Back