Another great use for a credit card....

HighTest

[H]ard|Gawd
No this isn't an identity theft or other financial fraud thread... :D

It is how I resurrected a failed Intel DX48BT2 motherboard with one though. I'd purchased a new HSF combo to replace the stock Intel fan of my Q6600.

When swapping the HSF combination units, carefully applying the AS5 compound and powering up my system, it wouldn't start! F!! :mad: :eek:

So I carefully removed the OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF, and inspected the MOBO. I was convinced that the pin-style attachment mechanism had broken the board due the flexation that occurs. I really need to start using a bolt-through kit for future HSF combo's, if I ever change it that is.

In an case, I eventually removed the MOBO itself, and upon removing the Q6600 and preparing the board for warranty replacement with Intel, noticed that a pin had some how gotten bent in the LGA775 socket. :confused: I know I was carefull to install the HSF with a straight downward method, so how did the proc shift and bend a pin, or had it been that way all along?

To the rescue came the credit card. No I didn't buy a new MB, but using the straight edge, I rebent the pin to match the alignment of the other pins. Upon reassembly, all is really good again. Also much lower temps and noise with my new OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF.

What bothers me, I've done system builds for almost 20+ years now. If I screw up a board during routine product installation (fortunately on my system and not someone elses), how many are totally hosing their new LGA775 setups? Also I've noticed that the warranty support for all the LGA775 mobo's I've looked at require that you return the MOBO with that plastic insert for the socket protection. Seems like these new methods are really quite fragile.

even more fragile than the pins on an amd cpu, which i have bent dozens of (and fixed with a credit card)

Back