Another Government Employee Caught Mining Crypto With Government Equipment

I don't really understand why this is even an issue. Fire him, sell the cards for even more money on the market, charge him for the excess electricity and recoup all the currency's worth.
Then the state will actually make money from this and no tax payer money is spent. What's the problem here?

Sell the cards?
If they are like any typical government bureaucracy, they wouldn't have a process for doing this, and it would probably cost $22,000 just to do the paperwork so they could be sold :eek:

Sell the cards?
If they are like any typical government bureaucracy, they wouldn't have a process for doing this, and it would probably cost $22,000 just to do the paperwork so they could be sold :eek:
Ok, but this is Florida state. Give them to another agency within the state that does autocad work or something as an upgrade.

I think it's kinda scummy that an electric company can monitor usage and report it to police under the guise of "they must be doing something illegal" instead of corroborating the usage with other things that point to illegal activities, which as purchases in hydroponics or whatnot.
What if someone got an electric car and started to use more electricity to charge it overnight? Suddenly they get raided by the police? It's silly.

The electric companies do this out here in California too, so the growers like to bypass the meter and steal power.
Only problem is that also means bypassing the circuit breakers, and they occasionally start a fire and the fire department discovers the operation.

Since most homes out here now have smart meters, they can monitor your power usage by the hour (or less).
They would be able to tell the difference between charging a car at night and running grow lights all day/night.

The electric companies do this out here in California too, so the growers like to bypass the meter and steal power.
Only problem is that also means bypassing the circuit breakers, and they occasionally start a fire and the fire department discovers the operation.

Since most homes out here now have smart meters, they can monitor your power usage by the hour (or less).
They would be able to tell the difference between charging a car at night and running grow lights all day/night.
I dunno. Now that there are LED grow lights that are sub 100w, i doubt they can do that easily. So that era of easily finding those operations is long since gone.
Somehow i don't think utility company based police raids have ended though.

I'm quite familiar with how state budgets work.

I get the end of the year and making sure they use all of their budget, but there's still a constraint on what they can purchase/get that still fits the business needs. At least that's how it works here.

grand larceny = theft. What exactly did this guy steal?

Theft of funds is still theft no matter how you cover it. You can be charged with grand larceny for a lot where money is involved. That money was appropriated for things like monitors, backup storage, tech support, software licenses, network equipment, office equipment. That money no longer exist to purchase those goods. So yep, lock him up for a good time.

Theft of funds is still theft no matter how you cover it. You can be charged with grand larceny for a lot where money is involved. That money was appropriated for things like monitors, backup storage, tech support, software licenses, network equipment, office equipment. That money no longer exist to purchase those goods. So yep, lock him up for a good time.
He didn't steal those funds though. The equipment that was purchased wasn't stolen. It was probably misappropriated through the use of those funds, but it certainly wasn't theft or stolen.
Again, unless florida has a horrible system, i know for the place i work for even small items are scrutinized and not approved unless there's a business need. And i don't work for a private entity so it's kinda on par.

Let's say there are 2,400,000 computers that aren't monitored in the way you suggested, that's not a far flung assumption in the least bit, right? Let's say an agency that has backdoor access to those takes 100,000 of those and makes them mine for an hour, then switches to the next 100,000 for another hour... and on and on like that for a 24 hour period. An undetectable botnet, if you will. Nobody is likely to notice a spike in their electric bill when their computer was only used for an hour each day to mine.

most people wont notice but a few will. all it takes is a few.

most people wont notice but a few will. all it takes is a few.

And what usually happens when just a few people stand up to big government these days? Remind me. And some of them who notice are foreign nationals? Then what?

And yes, I have an answer for everything.

And what usually happens when just a few people stand up to big government these days? Remind me. And some of them who notice are foreign nationals? Then what?

And yes, I have an answer for everything.

no need to stand up. you would probrably notice a post on a fourm like this if it happened. it doesnt. you would also see posts on this form along the lines of "large power increase" "vm using more compute resourses some days" ect....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UNLESS! every person you have ever talked to is a goverment worker preventing you from knowing the truth!!!! /s

I dunno. Now that there are LED grow lights that are sub 100w, i doubt they can do that easily. So that era of easily finding those operations is long since gone.
Somehow i don't think utility company based police raids have ended though.

True, unless the growers are not smart enough to use LED's

Now they will just be finding legal bit-mining server farms :cautious:

He didn't steal those funds though. The equipment that was purchased wasn't stolen. It was probably misappropriated through the use of those funds, but it certainly wasn't theft or stolen.
Again, unless florida has a horrible system, i know for the place i work for even small items are scrutinized and not approved unless there's a business need. And i don't work for a private entity so it's kinda on par.

One does not have to take material offsite to be found guilty of theft. The legal term is "conversion" - as in he converted government/company property into his own property for his benefit.

One does not have to take material offsite to be found guilty of theft. The legal term is "conversion" - as in he converted government/company property into his own property for his benefit.
how did he convert company property into his own? He never took it home and or used it outside of work and or sold it to make himself money.
He used it in a manner that created money for himself.
If he did the same thing but instead of bitcoin, did something with folding at home or seti at home, would it still be theft or whatever you're saying? Because he made money it's conversion?

People actually defending this dirt bag lol. He was making a profit using misappropriated funds that he had access too from a government agency. He will/should go to jail.

Back