Another Giveaway! i7 2600k & more!

Yeah that is what I read so I am running 2 single CPU clients at the same time on one computer till I get 10 WU completed. Then I will crank on the Radeon 6850 on the V7 client and use 3 cores on the SMP, I figure I should easily be around 9000 ppd with this setup.

They have to be SMP work units with the pass key, not single thread to my knowledge.

Anyone else confirm?

They have to be SMP work units with the pass key, not single thread to my knowledge.

Anyone else confirm?

If I remember back when I first started folding on the laptop, that is definately correct as I didn't start earning a bonus until my gaming rig had finished 10 SMP work units before the bonus deadline.

Yeah that is what I read so I am running 2 single CPU clients at the same time on one computer till I get 10 WU completed. Then I will crank on the Radeon 6850 on the V7 client and use 3 cores on the SMP, I figure I should easily be around 9000 ppd with this setup.

it's ok to crank the GPU now, they don't get bonuses,

standard client will not count for your 10 WU.

run standard SMP for the 10, then if you have 8 or more process threads, shift over to bigadv.

A question I have is how much stress does folding actually put on your CPU and Graphics card. I would fold but I don't want my computer to break due to stressing it out 100% all the time.

As long as you keep the heat and voltages sane, you could fold 24/7 years without a problem. Computers aren't like cars or other mechanical devices, they usually last well beyond their useful life.

A question I have is how much stress does folding actually put on your CPU and Graphics card. I would fold but I don't want my computer to break due to stressing it out 100% all the time.

So long as you are using high quality parts and you are keeping heat/voltages under control, you really have nothing to worry about. Video cards tend to be a bit more fragile, but even those do fine. We have folders on the team who have folded on a single video card 24/7 for over 2 years while running it near 90 degrees C.

The thing to keep in mind is that using high quality parts is the key here, because we often find that budget components just arn't built to handle server type workloads 24/7. As Untitled also said, by the time your components burn out, they will have outlasted their usefulness anyway due to the rapid change in technology.

Heat is the biggest enemy. Keep the fans and sinks clean and run everything as cool as you can and you'll be fine.

Crappy PSUs seem to be the most common thing to go. That said, many of us are running the same PSUs in systems that we where running years ago.

I have some antec earth watts that have been running 24/7 for 4 years. Never an issue.

Heat is the biggest enemy. Keep the fans and sinks clean and run everything as cool as you can and you'll be fine.

Yeah due to my room temperatures I'm almost afraid to game sometimes in the summer due to excessive heat since I don't have AC and it can get up around 90F in my room, my computer hasn't died yet but I try to select low power components to insure the heat stays in reason.

Yeah due to my room temperatures I'm almost afraid to game sometimes in the summer due to excessive heat since I don't have AC and it can get up around 90F in my room, my computer hasn't died yet but I try to select low power components to insure the heat stays in reason.

i fold at ~90+F most of the summer :D but yes, as has been said if you select quality components (regardless of power amounts) even with heat the components will stay in good working order

Remember that during the summer, a box fan can be a folder's best friend :D

Anyone else confirm?

Shoot, I thought I was being smart running multiple instances of the normal client in order to be able to earn the bonus on SMP, Well I switched it over to SMP now, the GPU will be folding when I am not playing games on it. This Folding team is HUGE! I wonder how long it will take me to crack the top 1000(Crazy it is at 5million points already!)

Not sure what team you are looking at, but Top 1000 is at ~550K. Doesn't take too long with hardware within the last couple years.

Shoot, I thought I was being smart running multiple instances of the normal client in order to be able to earn the bonus on SMP, Well I switched it over to SMP now, the GPU will be folding when I am not playing games on it. This Folding team is HUGE! I wonder how long it will take me to crack the top 1000(Crazy it is at 5million points already!)

Wait till the addiction hits you and you start gunning for the top 100. It gets brutal up here!

Don't I know, you and I are doing 75KPPD treading water in the 60s

Damnit.......

I didn't realize that was you on my tail like that. According to EOC, I have 2 months to figure out how to add more production, although my budget just sucks right now.

I'm looking hard to heating my house this winter with F@H computers... Duct work shouldn't be too bad.

The goodies just game in :cool:

i7giveaway.jpg

Thanks DeFex!

I think you should test it for a few months.... no reason to let D go to waste

I think you should test it for a few months.... no reason to let D go to waste

I'm going to keep that new CPU smell bottled up for the winner ;)

Tis' a shame though, I've love to do some QC on the parts and see what OC it can reach :D

So, does that mean whoever has more posts in the thread has more entries? That doesn't seem logical...
People are only allowed to post their badge once in the entry thread. I would imagine that people who try to sneak in and enter multiple times will be disqualified.

People are only allowed to post their badge once in the entry thread. I would imagine that people who try to sneak in and enter multiple times will be disqualified.

Yup, just like in the last giveaway as it was found that one of the winners accidently registered twice in the registration thread.

yep, real easy to check also. Too bad if he done it on accident...

Have fun with this contest. I don't fold at all and won't anymore.

Have fun with this contest. I don't fold at all and won't anymore.

last time I checked nobody is twisting your arm to do anything, please feel free to visit one of the many other forums and subforums here on the [H]

this may seem dumb but can i add multiple computers (and possible ps3's) to my account? Also is this anything like Seti@home (back in the day) where if your not careful you will toast your hardware pretty quick?

Again sorry if this is a dumb question but like i said never folded before

Yes you can add multiple machines to run under your name (use a passkey). You want to make sure your hardware can sustain 100% load for long periods of time, 24/7 or say at least during the daytime. So do check temps and stability with something like LinX and RealTemp, and have fun!

I don't care so much for the giveaway, I'm sure USA folks will have an easier time folding with this massive rig. Energy here is that expensive, and I'm currently broke.

But I sure can make my everyday machines folding ones, if only I knew how to make F@H work behind a proxy, as I spend most of my day at work with my netbook & work computer. Any tips?

BTW, nice job [H] folks!

The version 6 SMP client has proxy support. I've just used it to get up langouste, but it seems to work fine. If you have specific questions, someone will be happy to help.

some one throw me a new pc and I will easily fold 24/7 for atleast 1 to 2 years as my power bills are shit low as it is, as I have never folded and have always wanted to try it but just never had a spare rig to do it with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back