Another Doom 3 Sound Question

hondaman

The OG Hondaman
I have an Audigy 2 ZS connected to a Sony 5.1 reciever. DVD's play in 5.1, but it seems Doom 3 doesnt. What could I be doing wront? Thank you

hondaman

Is there an option in Doom3 to encode in Dolby Digital?

If not, you're out of luck. The Audigy cannot encode a Dolby Digital stream, so you won't get surround sound out of any source through an optical link that isn't pre-encoded. Like, say, DVDs. Audigy can't encode on the fly. Only SoundStorm can.

There was some question a while back if Doom3 could encode a Dolby Digital stream on the fly in software. If it can, poke around in the options to try and enable it and you should get 5.1 out (essentially, it's doing on-the-fly what a DVD studio does when creating the audio to burn on a DVD). If it can't, you're out of luck.

Ok. Hmm.. Im kind of confused. I guess recievers dont both encode and decode? So if i do a spdif pass-through in my options, the reciever isnt smart enough to know what to do with the stream, whatever is being sent its way?

Luckily, my audigy is in my asus a7n8x deluxe with soundstorm. But I wanted to clarify that outside of soundstorm, NO OTHER audio card can encode on the fly?

Well, so I have 2 options. Which would give me the best sound for doom 3 with my setup taken into consideration?

1: Soundstorm using DD encoding on the fly.

2: Analog out for all the channels to my reciever. Not sure if this is considered DD or not.

As far as I know, Doom 3 bypasses all manner of sound card encoding. All I know is that I have a SoundStorm Nforce2 board using SPDIF out to my Onkyo 6.1 receiver and I get 5.1 no problem. I have my control panel set to 5.1 Dolby Digital and Doom 3 is set to use surround. Seems like however id did the sound engine is causing problems in a lot of setups.

Back