Another case of slow Windows - Windows copying.

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
(For the record, I have no clue if this is a disk issue or a networking issue, but I know this forum a little better so I'm hoping you can help me out either way ;)).

Computer one is a server running Windows Server 2008 serving files over a Gigabit network. Computer two is my desktop upstairs, also Gigabit. However, these are my results copying a bunch of files:

Server ("Disk 1 (R: ) " is what we're writing to): http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9993/networkoddness1.png

My desktop: http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7716/networkoddness2.png

Is this normal? I know there's overhead but really enough to only give me 1/8th the nominal speed?

EDIT: For anyone who stumbles upon this in the future, the issue ended up being one of the drives in my array, which appears only to read/write at 1.5MB/s, even though SMART states it is fine. Removing that drive from the array fixed all my issues.

Last edited:
thats 100mb speeds.. umm no, you should be hitting around 50~60Megabytes/s over gigabit network...

software raid it will be slow, hardware raid on server that has cpu/ram and battery = quick..

also turn off ip6, and the network discovery shit in 2008.. (go to adapter propertis and removed the shiet.)

also ensure latest manufacturer driver is installed..

On a gigabit network, you should be able to reach 125 MB/s maximum.

1 mbit = 0.125 MB/s
10 mbit = 1.25 MB/s
100 mbit = 12.5 MB/s
1000 mbit / 1 gbit = 125 MB/s
10 gbit = 1,250 MB/s
100 gbit = 12,500 MB/s
1000 gbit / 1 tbit = 125,000 MB/s
10 tbit = 1,250,000 MB/s
100 tbit = 12,500,000 MB/s
1000 tbit / 1 pbit = 125,000,000 MB/s
10 pbit = 1,250,000,000 MB/s
100 pbit = 12,500,000,000 MB/s
1000 pbit = 125,000,000,000 MB/s

To convert bit to byte, you take x bit divided by 8 bits per byte

EDIT: Nevermind, you will probably be bottlenecked by the HDD transfer speeds first.

that may be the max of 125MB/s

most hdds wont write that speed, 60~80MB max..

and some shitty routers/switches wont go at 125/s unless $$ you get what you pay for...

thats still quick 60mb/s every 10s = 600MB :)

and those at MB/GB/TB as ms sees them remeber the 1024 rule

60MB = 61440KB/s

so

1 Gigabit = 1,000,000,000 bits
1,000,000,000 bits / 8 = 125,000,000 Bytes
125,000,000 Bytes / 1024 = 122,070 KBytes
122,070 KBytes / 1024 = 119 Megabytes

119 Megabytes - 10% overheads = 109MB/s at max.. better equip should get you 115 give or take...

Last edited:
if doing the above does nothing test the network with iperf or something similar to see if it is the network.

OK, I need to give more info :p

I have disabled everything IPv6 on my network. I'm using the stock drivers that come with Windows for both my comps (they're Intel NICs). The server I'm writing to has a Dell Perc 5/i with 1GB RAM and a BBU so I have no clue why that would be slowing it down.

I think the problem may have to do with my cabling from the basement (server) to our upstairs (my room), but ATM I've got no way to check. Anyone think that could be the issue?

EDIT: Also, while I'm here: I have two networks in Server 2008... one of them is entirely static (with a gateway, the only one), the other is static but is missing a gateway. When I set the second network to DHCP, it identifies it as a "private network" (as it should). However, as soon as I set the IP manually and disable the second gateway, it drops to the "Unidentified Network" type and I can't change it. Any ideas? I'd like this set correctly because I use public/private for the Windows Firewall rules.

Last edited:
This image is a simple example of how the target hard drive affects the transfer of a file. The file transferred was a 4.5GB mkv from the same source to the same target. The first target was a conventional hard drive on one controller and the second was an SSD on another controller. Notice how the "network" was identical yet the transfer rates are totally different? It's not the "network's" fault.

An HP Procurve switch was used to demonstrate this. Source machine was a Core 2 Duo machine running Win7 Home Premium and destination was the Core i7 box listed in my signature.

ss1y.jpg

djBon2112, I just noticed that your test transfer screenshot showed 1292 items remaining at 49.8gb. that's about 39mb/file on average. Did you try transferring using a single large file? That would remove the possibility of the numerous files causing your transfer to run slow.

This image is a simple example of how the target hard drive affects the transfer of a file. The file transferred was a 4.5GB mkv from the same source to the same target. The first target was a conventional hard drive on one controller and the second was an SSD on another controller. Notice how the "network" was identical yet the transfer rates are totally different? It's not the "network's" fault.

An HP Procurve switch was used to demonstrate this. Source machine was a Core 2 Duo machine running Win7 Home Premium and destination was the Core i7 box listed in my signature.

Even though both network utilization charts look very different, the average transfer rate in both of your instances is at least 50% utilization. If you looked at the OP's screenshots, I would guesstimate that he's averaging under 10% utilization. I do think OP should use a single large file to eliminate the possibility of the test data being a large amount small files slowing down the transfer, but still 9.37mb/sec is very slow for a gigabit connection.

Regardless of whether it's the network's fault or not, running iperf is a good step in any transfer speed/network troubleshooting. It eliminates one possible cause, which is never a bad thing :)

I should have phrased it better really, i.e. it's not necessarily the network's fault.

Since there are long periods of time the network is idle during those xfers I'd be more inclined to think it was something else like antivirus getting in the way.

Or not. Reading from the FS I get ~75+ MB/s, but writing a big file to it I still get shitty-ish speeds (16.6 MB/s). Still seems way to slow, even for writing. Am I correct?

Never use wM$ Window$ drivers..

go to intel and download intel nic drivers..

disable powersaving features as well..

Has nobody noticed that hes copying ~1400 files? Copying many smaller files will result in a slower write speed. It may not be the total cause of 9MB/sec transfer but it will definitly slow transfer speed, especially depending on the hard drive.

I typically get 50-55MB/sec when copying over gigabit but there have been times when it has dipped pretty low when copying many smaller files, though not 9MB/sec, usually 25-30. For instance when I'm copying a game folder such as fallout3, like your screen shot shows.

Try copying over a single movie or a larged zipped file and post what speeds you get.

Has nobody noticed that hes copying ~1400 files? Copying many smaller files will result in a slower write speed. It may not be the total cause of 9MB/sec transfer but it will definitly slow transfer speed, especially depending on the hard drive.

I typically get 50-55MB/sec when copying over gigabit but there have been times when it has dipped pretty low when copying many smaller files, though not 9MB/sec, usually 25-30. For instance when I'm copying a game folder such as fallout3, like your screen shot shows.

Try copying over a single movie or a larged zipped file and post what speeds you get.

I noticed and asked him to try copying a single larger file about four posts up.

Or not. Reading from the FS I get ~75+ MB/s, but writing a big file to it I still get shitty-ish speeds (16.6 MB/s). Still seems way to slow, even for writing. Am I correct?

I would say it's about time to run some benchmarks to see what your drive's performance is, then go from there. Haven't done much benchmarking myself for a while now so I'll let other experts chime in on that front.

actually i never had a problem doing 1000 files, i slow down a little but not by much..

win7 makes a lovely list of files before coping commences.. so instead of full steam i sit aroun 90% till its done..tho i guess it helps i am using intel 1000pt-PCIEx1 nics :)

Back