Another borked Nvidia driver?

Game ready bro, way it's meant to be played! AMD drivers suck, Nvidia is perfect!!11!
Kudos to them for admitting it and getting busy to fix it though.

And this is one of the reasons why I haven't touched a 400 branch driver yet.
Took me the better part of 6 months before I put one on my non RTX rigs. I kept the last 399x on them for a while. I don't remember which(419.24?) but it worked out fine but yeah, the first ones were definitely getting comments from users about the usual stuff after a new gen is released. Sort of makes me glad that I've got 3 generations to compare notes on with I do update things. I know everyone can have issues and no one is perfect but sure seems like since Maxwell things have really gone down hill at NV's driver department. I've got too many stories to tell why at this point.

Took me the better part of 6 months before I put one on my non RTX rigs. I kept the last 399x on them for a while. I don't remember which(419.24?) but it worked out fine but yeah, the first ones were definitely getting comments from users about the usual stuff after a new gen is released. Sort of makes me glad that I've got 3 generations to compare notes on with I do update things. I know everyone can have issues and no one is perfect but sure seems like since Maxwell things have really gone down hill at NV's driver department. I've got too many stories to tell why at this point.

I've been on 399.24 since I got Strange Brigade back in Jan, happens to be the oldest driver it will support without a nag prompt. I was on 388.13 before that.
I will upgrade once I get my new GPU, but man there have been a lot of fubar'ed drivers since the 400 branch dropped.

I just happened to check my task manager.

30% CPU at idle caused by Nvidia Display Container LS.

Now in the process of rolling back.

And this is one of the reasons why I haven't touched a 400 branch driver yet.
sadly i wish i could do that but one of the games i play was damn near unplayable with the 399 drivers which sucked since 400 branch drivers are hot garbage.

I Was forced to upgrade off perfectly goo working 3xx drivers to play BF5. They even worked in the BETA. After the "upgrade" Surround has not booted to desktop properly until the 4xx driver earlier this month. That's months of having to manually fix surround every gorram time I booted. I can live with slightly higher CPU usage if that was the cost unfixed.

I Was forced to upgrade off perfectly goo working 3xx drivers to play BF5. They even worked in the BETA. After the "upgrade" Surround has not booted to desktop properly until the 4xx driver earlier this month. That's months of having to manually fix surround every gorram time I booted. I can live with slightly higher CPU usage if that was the cost unfixed.

I went thru something similar around the 378.xx days. Right after they released a driver for some game I was playing at the time and it helped but in doing so broke boot 10bit color support for my 4k monitor. Took almost a year before they fixed it. They've broken HDR numerous times in the last 2 years and it's still not technically fixed for Metro E. I wanna say somewhere around 345.xx they released some drivers that totally skewed SLI for my 970's at the time and Witcher 3 dropped from 80-100+ fps in 1080p to barely 60-70. Took 'em about 3-4 months to fix that. Just remembered that fiasco around the Windows 10 anniversary update where it would cause screens to randomly go black. They at least fixed that in a few days back then but for a while I was panicked my GPU's were dead or dying.

Oh the fun times with NV drivers!

I went thru something similar around the 378.xx days. Right after they released a driver for some game I was playing at the time and it helped but in doing so broke boot 10bit color support for my 4k monitor. Took almost a year before they fixed it. They've broken HDR numerous times in the last 2 years and it's still not technically fixed for Metro E. I wanna say somewhere around 345.xx they released some drivers that totally skewed SLI for my 970's at the time and Witcher 3 dropped from 80-100+ fps in 1080p to barely 60-70. Took 'em about 3-4 months to fix that. Just remembered that fiasco around the Windows 10 anniversary update where it would cause screens to randomly go black. They at least fixed that in a few days back then but for a while I was panicked my GPU's were dead or dying.

Oh the fun times with NV drivers!

I blame the game devs (In this case EA/DICE) just as much for forcing me to upgrade drivers to play. I don't mind recommendations.. but they force you to upgrade or the game will not even launch. I should be able to use whatever effin drivers I want. If they don't work.. that's my issue.

I blame the game devs (In this case EA/DICE) just as much for forcing me to upgrade drivers to play. I don't mind recommendations.. but they force you to upgrade or the game will not even launch. I should be able to use whatever effin drivers I want. If they don't work.. that's my issue.

Right, so you can choose to use an old driver and then it's your issue. So really you mean to say you blame yourself? :confused:

I squarely blame nvidia. It's their hardware, their responsibility.

I don't think I've ever heard of any software/hardware without any bugs. I guess you can blame them, but that's just how it is.

FWIW, Creator Ready 419.67 is very stable.

No issues at all with a RTX 2070.

Also, I'm not "Forced to upgrade" at all......./shrug

FWIW, Creator Ready 419.67 is very stable.

No issues at all with a RTX 2070.

Most 4xx.xx drivers play nice with the RTX lines. For my 2080TI I've only updated as I really need. Probably only 3-4 times since November. However with my other two rigs(one w/ 1080TI and the other with 2x980m's) I held onto 399.xx up until around Jan-Feb when 419.xx came out and most users reported it worked great. I totally agree that it has.

The earliest of the 400's were known to have some issues with Pascal cards. Some didn't mind losing a few frames or having stutters introduced where they didn't exist before. NV do have a reputation for releasing drivers that either cause problems for the current gen set of features or at the very least begin to cause performance issues for past gens.

As far as being forced, well there have been some games that won't even launch if they detect an older driver. It's been awhile so I'm having a hard time remembering which one(s). Others simply crash during a cut scene or a particular level or section. Some won't let you use the latest features(HDR, ray tracing, DLSS anyone?).It's pretty rare but it does happen so yes some people are forced if they want to play a game with all its features or levels. That's why the first go-to response for support always mentions up-to-date drivers.

I installed the hot fix driver yesterday. Not only is it running better, but I'm not seeing the CPU utilization issue. Then again, I didn't see it before as I hadn't yet updated to the broken 430.39 driver.

Right, so you can choose to use an old driver and then it's your issue. So really you mean to say you blame yourself? :confused:
. . .

No.. because the game will not launch with an older driver... I have no choice but to upgrade. NV has their share of blame no doubt.. "updating" drivers should not break current functionality.

FWIW the 425.31 drivers are working great fro me. The 430.39 even with the hotfix was having issues.

Back