Another Antec blowed up real good

Vito117

n00b
What the hell is with Antec power supplies?
I had my 2nd ps just blow up.
Sparks flying out the back....tripping breakers!!
Less than a year old Antec True Power 550W 2.0.
Rig is kept dust free for the most part.
This is my 2nd Antec TPS and on a different machine.

I leave the rig on for most of day 12 + hrs.... if I have to run out to meeting or whatever I keep it on. This should not happen for phucks sake.:mad:
Now I have to RMA it.....then run to CompUSA to buy a temporary PS....hook it up and pray like hell it didn't fry my other components in my sig.:confused:

So what causes the things to become ol sparky?

I would say it's doubtful that your home's power source is screwed up, but it might not be a bad idea to see if the outlet is wire correctly. Also, how many things are plugged in? What amp breaker? Heck, maybe it's a ground issue. My guess though is just a string of bad PSUs, which is hard to believe from Antec, but I haven't bought one for 3 or 4 years...

I'm not suprised. I had 2 Antec Truepowers, and they both cooked within about 3 months. Antecs are poor quality in my opinion, and I refuse to buy one again. See if you can send it back and get a different make / model.

And my 8 year old compaq PSU keeps rolling on...

It sucks that these antec's keep braking, I guess I will not be getting any of these soon.

Jeez, Antec used to be one of the top 3 brands to buy. Honestly I'm quite sad to see this...

Wouldnt trust those Antec power supplies,I hear they have been using el cheapo parts.
If I were you I wouldnt trust your machine/s with one of thse power supplies.:eek:

I have the Antech TP 550w and it has never given me problems. It isnt the 2.0 model either. It wasnt enough to handle the machine in my sig since I added the second video card, but its now in my brothers computer with a similar setup. It has been working for me for almost 2 years and, like you, I leave my comp on almost 24/7. Scary story though!

What the hell is with Antec power supplies?
I had my 2nd ps just blow up.
Sparks flying out the back....tripping breakers!!
Less than a year old Antec True Power 550W 2.0.
Rig is kept dust free for the most part.
This is my 2nd Antec TPS and on a different machine.

I leave the rig on for most of day 12 + hrs.... if I have to run out to meeting or whatever I keep it on. This should not happen for phucks sake.:mad:
Now I have to RMA it.....then run to CompUSA to buy a temporary PS....hook it up and pray like hell it didn't fry my other components in my sig.:confused:

So what causes the things to become ol sparky?

I would like to hear you experience getting an RMA. Last Friday while my PC was OFF for 20 min or so, prior to this it was on for most of the day I smell burning plastic. I traced it back to my Antec TPII 550 PSU, I left it unplugged for the night and turned it on the next day some smoke and that burning plastic smell was noticeable. I turned it off and disconnected the power to the PSU and on Friday morning I sent an RMA request through Antec’s website. I didn’t hear anything and waited till 5PM EST on Monday to give them a call the CS rep emailed me an RMA document.

Antec’s RMA procedure is a joke, first you MUST have created and receive a Ticket ID: then you must fax or email proof of purchase or an invoice along with a one page PDF document the email provides. I faxed and emailed the documents Monday this week and have not heard anything at all. The website says it takes 3 business days to get an RMA number but a simple response would be nice. I have a feeling this RMA process is going to take almost a month.. The PSU is less then 10 months old and my PC is down until this RMA comes…

Most places in my experience and companies that I have worked for would first approve the RMA by a simple set of procedures through a web template or over the phone with a tech. Once the RMA is approved you would receive some instructions in the mail or via email on how to send in your RMA hopefully right away or in a few business days, I can understand proof of purchase and the Ticket ID number but why not let me include that in the RMA when I send it back, it seems like they want you to jump through some useless hoops in hopes that you don’t RMA the thing.

That's what always gets me. Before, I use to think Antec was all hype, bunch of crap. I bought cheap power supplies, including an Okia and a Raidmax case with 420w PSU. Not saying I recommend them for high end systems, but yeah. I then decided to get a better power supply after hearing Raidmax horror stories.

Got an Antec Smart Power 500 plus a TX1050B case for about $120. Mind you, the Raidmax case and PSU was about $40 to $50. The Antec lasted about 6 months. The second one I received from RMA lasted 3 months

. The Raidmax and Okia? They were transferred to various computers (Parents, friends, etc) and are still going strong. Seems I was right all along, Antec is just hype. I'll stick to Seasonic, Corsair, Silverstone, etc.

Seems I was right all along, Antec is just hype. I'll stick to Seasonic, Corsair, Silverstone, etc.

Not all Antec is crap. Here's some food for thought if you don't already know, Seasonic is the OEM for most of Antec's current models.

Not all Antec is crap. Here's some food for thought if you don't already know, Seasonic is the OEM for most of Antec's current models.

I know that. But they are built to Antec's specifications, including the use of the Fuhhyi (blah) caps and the temperature controlled fans that lead to troublesome power supplies. Search this forum, you will see almost all Antec models are affected.

I remember just a few years ago, antec and enermax were the seasonics / pcp of today here at [H]

a few years ago...nope.....sorry..maybe 4 or 5 years ago....not 2 or 3.....for the last few years Antec has been having issues with quality control as well as bad Cap`s...etc etc

In the past I've also had a DOA Antec TP 500. Also, had a NEOHE 550 not work. I'm now switching to Seasonic. They really seem to be great PSUs, at least in what I've read.

a few years ago...nope.....sorry..maybe 4 or 5 years ago....not 2 or 3.....for the last few years Antec has been having issues with quality control as well as bad Cap`s...etc etc

fair enough :p that's about when i was last more active on the forums

really?? One of the top 3 when?? hmmmmm

Wow, sounds like you have some personal vendetta against Antec.... I didn't think my post was worth quoting, let alone replying to, I was merely stating an observation.

It sucks that these antec's keep braking, I guess I will not be getting any of these soon.

Go to badcaps.net, they have a pictorial of several power supplies that document the components used, they have old Compaq PSU's there that are live and kicking while there are fried Antecs that aren't that old...

I have used many different power supplies over the course of 16 years and Antec so far has been the ONLY one to die in less than a year so there is probably some truth to the rumours of Antec quality going down the drain. I'm talking about some really cheap generic models that I have used in the past that lasted years without any trouble. In terms of reliability and longevity among name brand power supplies I would have to go with Enermax. I have one in a system that has lasted more than 5 years running 24/7.

I have been using my Antec True Power 480w for almost 2 years now. I am running a C2D [email protected], and 2 7800GTs. It is rock solid. I guess I got the last good batch.

Go buy yourselves a
OCZ, Corsair, Silverstone or Seasonic supply.

Not that much more expensive.

Just shave some money off case modding,
fans or something. :p

Back